Skip to main content

I am having issues with my #990 LEGACY Command Set it is failing to communicate with the Cab 2 as well as the BASE signal to the track, the amber and red LED as well as words Lionel and LEGACY on the BASE are blinking rapidly when I am have this issue. I have reloaded the v1.52 upgrade multiple times with no luck on correcting this issue. I am asking for any suggestions.

Last edited by Drew Madere
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The base is still in update mode. Redo the base update. Manual page attached. Which step did you skip?

I know, you have done it multiple times. Did you do the cab first?  Did you make your own update module? Perhaps that is corrupted. or obvious, but there is a separate cab and base update. Did you use the cab module in the base? (had to ask)

Try putting everything back to the previous version that you have modules for and try again. You had to have 1.3 before going to v1.52

Did you back up the system with the LSU before doing the upgrade?

Attachments

Images (1)
  • legacy manual base update
Last edited by Moonman

Yep, hard to tell. When it's done, all the blinking lights should stop. I have a 1.2 that was updated to 1.3 and the 1.52 went as it should.

Are you using blacks or modded blue modules? One or two? Perhaps try loading the base update on the cab module, if you have two modules. Maybe something is wrong with that module.

it just seems like a corrupted update when it was working fine before and it is not returning to solid lights.

Updated information regarding original issue "#990 legacy commands set failing to communicate"

Technicians comment – corrective action performed:

Replace communications PCB – match software to version 1.52 on-base the remote – tested – you will have to reload your engine data/information. This new communications PCB has had its settings cleared by me and is blank.

Let me first make clear this is not a complaint, as I am appreciative of
Lionel for RAing my system.

However I have a new question in regards to the new communications PCB?
After receiving my legacy system from Lionel customer service, I am now experiencing a lack of legacy systems communication range, something I've never experienced for the first time I hooked up the system.Nothing has changed other than the replacement part with the environment the legacy system resides in.

Originally Posted by Drew Madere:

After receiving my legacy system from Lionel customer service, I am now experiencing a lack of legacy systems communication range, something I've never experienced for the first time I hooked up the system.Nothing has changed other than the replacement part with the environment the legacy system resides in.

Certainly could be an issue with how it went back together.  Perhaps in their test environment, they don't run into long range issues.  I have no idea how they actually test them...

Originally Posted by Drew Madere:

Have you tried changing the base and handheld channels? The higher ones tend to work better.

They often change settings in the "service department". I thought my loco was DOA back from service until I figured out they changed the i.d.#.

Just a thought.

Yes Carl, in fact I brought it all away down to Version 1.4 and then brought it backup

to version 1.52 just to ensure a file wasn't missing.

I agree John, not sure if the tech verified communication at his workbench, Or do they push the max specifications of the 30 feet Distance from base stated in the manual?

Yes Rick, I actually went through all nine channels for verification purposes no better performance out of any of the channels.

Also guys one quick note I've even purchased one or larger antennas to try to improve range though it helps some, however I still get the red indicator light am a cab 2 within my layout room but it has to some extent improved to where I do not drop completely communicate for the remote to the base.

Also my layout is only 20 feet long overall, the area in which I control my trains is only maybe a 7 foot area so it's a worst-case I am 10 to 12 feet away from my command base at any given time. I have sent the same comment as posted to Lionel customer service to see what they may suggest.

Last edited by Drew Madere

That stinks ,Drew. I hope they can resolve it for you.

I was talking about the function in the Legacy Utility Software that allows you to create a back-up of the current configuration, settings, engines and such. Then you can restore all of them in one action for a situation such as this.

Have to ask...Is the power supply plugged into a properly grounded receptacle? Hot, neutral, earth for the round prong?

Did your Legacy power supply for the base return to Lionel? It can cause weird issues when it begins to fail.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.