Continuing Saga ... Building Another Bernheim Distillery

Good advice!

After looking at the filling I did, and then painting, weathering and installing the chimney, I think it will work. I remade the flashing in several pieces although it you look closely, it's still not correct since the front piece has little wings that are lying upon the side piece providing a path for water to get under the flashing. I'm leaving it all alone. I haven't used any weathering powders yet which will dull it down even some more. Some of the resin defects actually lend some more character to the piece.

Chimney Installed

The J-B Weld fastened the track into the new position perfectly so the tracks at the hinge are aligned. There was a bump from a bit of excess epoxy that I cut down to smooth passage over that area. I also replaced two traction tires on one truck of my MTH Union Pacific U50-C. I had a heck of a time getting the truck to motor screw installed and had to take the shell off so I could hold the motor still while aligning the truck. The motor kept drooping forward which put the screw out of alignment. I even tried using a brass rod to hold the screw holds aligned, but when I took the brass out to replace the screw, it was out of alignment. This simple little job took over a half hour. I still need to buy a new shell for this engine. When the shell fractured, it also fractured the standoffs that the shell screws tie to a and those ingenious contact devices MTH uses. You can't tell from a distance that the shell was completely fractured, but you better not pick it up by the body. That engine is now being reissued as a PS-3 so maybe that shell can be purchased.

I then found some black coated adhesive paper that comes with Bar Mills kits and it would make terrific flashing since it's already got the sticky stuff. And it's thinner than the construction paper I was using so it will be easier to slide the main roof next to it. The reason for this discussion is that I can now fully shingle this roof before installation, thus giving me more to do while waiting for the gutter brass. I'll start shingling tomorrow.

New Flashing Idea


Photos (2)

Thank you as always.

Had a nice visit today. Tony who works at our only remaining (and wonderful) Roundhouse Trains here in L'ville and Tod, a 19-year veteran of the Louisville Metro Police force enjoyed their visit and the trains worked perfectly (whew!). I regaled them about all of the projects that took place to get it to this state, and what's coming up.

My daughter's traveling so I'm driving two boys to all kinds of things that kids need to do so I was interrupted twice in doing the shingling of the main roof, but I got this much done.

Main Roof Shingles Progress

Tomorrow I have my first cardiologist appointment at noon and depending on how that goes will determine what, if anything gets done on this project. The meds have calmed things down a bit, but my pulse is still 30 to 40 points above what it was last week, and still running like a high-cam, hot rod that can't idle very well. Annoying, but apparently not fatal as long as you manage the blood clot threat.


Photos (1)

Thank you! I read that the chest can be sore where the paddles go, but it didn't say much more than that. I've had a cardia cath 10 years ago based on a false alarm. It was annoying, but survivable. To do ablation, it's basically the same procedure with different probes and goals. It doesn't scare me too much especially if it can reset my engine timing.

One of my customers had the cardioaversion, he said it felt like he had a broken rib for two days.  The ablation made me sore and beat up for about two days, but some of that is the anesthesia.  I was under a little more than two and a half hours. Six weeks later I still get tired, but my energy level is coming back.  The heart gets pretty irritated from the procedure and does take a while to heal, up to three months.

keep up the great work.


Well... the cardiologist is very conservative and that's good. The meds are working in that they're slowing everything down to the point where I'm not really aware of the stumbling engine in my chest. He says that as long as you control the potential blood clots, you can live a long life with Afib. In a couple of weeks they're doing an echo cardiogram to see if there's any other troubles that are causing the Afib, like a leaky valve. Then I'll have a Holter Monitor installed for a 24 hour session to measure my pulse variations in various activities. They want to use this to make sure it's not going too low or high and if they need to adjust the meds. All in all, it could be worse. I can always be worse.

Today, I finished shingling the main roof and attached the kitchen to the main building. I do have enough clearance to drill the holes to mount the gutters on the building side of the kitchen so I felt it was okay to go ahead and attach it. This way I can then install the main roof and get all the rest of the lighting wires hooked up.

Main Roof Complete

I used a "gravity clamp" to hold the kitchen and main building together while the glue sets. It was too unwieldy to put any clamps on it, and I am always afraid of hitting one of those delicate windows.

 Fastening Kitchen

After dinner I decided to hook up the rest of the lights and fit the roof. And then I found this...

Annoying Problem

After I found out that there wasn't enough clearance between the front roofs and the wooden gutters, I extended those roofs to be flush with the outside and would use brass gutters. But I forgot to modify the main roofs to match and these did have enough clearance to use the wood gutters. Now I have a dilemma. I can easily add the material to the big roof to bring it out flush, but it's a real pain to put shingles on from the bottom up. They don't work that way. I have a real chance of destroying the shingles that are already stuck. Clearly, I can't leave the mismatch looking this way. It just looks wrong since it is. I'll have to lay the shingles in almost one at a time to make up those starter rows. That may not work so I may have to re-shingle the whole side. I have enough material to re-do it if I have to. Not my first choice. Luckily, I didn't glue in the main roof. In fact, it fits so nicely, I'm not going to glue it. This way, I can get to the wiring if need be.


Photos (3)

I'm glad the treatment is having good effect!  The old Holter Monitor.  I've had to have it three times now.  The first two times I thought they were saying halter monitor, which made sense because it was bulky and had a strap to keep it in place.  The last time, a couple years ago, it was small and no strap.  Then I saw Holter Monitor in writing.  It was a "duh" moment for me.

I like gravity clamps more and more as I get more clumsy with age.  The roofs look real good!  I am liking roofs that aren't glued down more and more!


Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc.
33 Sheridan Road, Poland, OH 44514