Source for Ives 6-wheel passenger car trucks?

OGR Forum Member
 
October 3, 2012 9:35 PM

I need a pair of reproduction Standard Gauge Ives 6-wheel passenger car trucks complete with wheels, couplers, and electrical roller pickups.  I want to install them on a Standard Gauge RichArt baggage car I own that is missing both its trucks.   I  checked George Teabolt's website and I couldn't find them listed there and I contacted the MTH parts department and amazingly they said they didn't have any in stock.  Anyone know another source for these Ives trucks?

 

Bob Nelson

 
 
 
OGR Forum Member
 
October 4, 2012 1:10 PM

 

 

   Nobody makes them.

 

"A world without IVES, is a world of empty lives."

 
 
Like Like (0 likes)
Permalink
OGR Forum Member
 
October 4, 2012 3:27 PM

Originally Posted by navy.seal:

I need a pair of reproduction Standard Gauge Ives 6-wheel passenger car trucks complete with wheels, couplers, and electrical roller pickups.  I want to install them on a Standard Gauge RichArt baggage car I own that is missing both its trucks.   I  checked George Teabolt's website and I couldn't find them listed there and I contacted the MTH parts department and amazingly they said they didn't have any in stock.  Anyone know another source for these Ives trucks?

 

Bob Nelson

 

Originally Posted by The Nighthawk:

 

 

   Nobody makes them.

Is anyone concerned as I now am that MTH no longer carries in stock what I would consider some very basic repair parts for their reproduction Standard Gauge Ives passenger cars? 

 

Makes me now wonder if in the future MTH will similarly not have in stock the tinplate parts I may need to repair the several expensive Tinplate locomotives I have purchased from them!  

 

Bob

 

 

 


 

 
 
 
Like Like (0 likes)
Permalink
OGR Forum Member
 
October 4, 2012 4:03 PM

Originally Posted by navy.seal:

Is anyone concerned as I now am that MTH no longer carries in stock what I would consider some very basic repair parts for their reproduction Standard Gauge Ives passenger cars? 

 

Makes me now wonder if in the future MTH will similarly not have in stock the tinplate parts I may need to repair the several expensive Tinplate locomotives I have purchased from them!  

 

Bob

 

I bought one of the National Limited sets from the first run.  One of the cars had a short in the wiring, and another would derail as soon as it hit a curve, due to a poorly-stamped truck frame.  Even then, MTH had no available complete trucks, but sent another frame.  So I had to have the bad truck removed, disassembled, frame replaced, reassembled...

 

I think it's ridiculous that they don't run an ample supply of extra parts to sell as well as stock for future replacement.  If only I could buy MTH stock and complain at a stockholder meeting!

 

They did, however, make a run of Dorfan trucks when the passenger cars were released, and a lot of rolling stock is running after being sidetracked for many years.

 
 
 
Like Like (0 likes)
Permalink
OGR Forum Member
 
October 4, 2012 4:06 PM

Are these the type that are on 1766 passenger cars?

 

The tracks of life are ballasted with crushed dreams

 
 
Like Like (0 likes)
Permalink
OGR Forum Member
 
October 4, 2012 4:20 PM

Originally Posted by TimDude:

Are these the type that are on 1766 passenger cars?

No.  They're Lionel trucks.  

 

The IVES trucks are the ones used 1928, 1928, 1930 on The Black Diamond, National Limited and other large passenger cars.  Repro ones also used on the JAD Hiawatha tender. Graceful & elegant.

 
 
 
Like Like (0 likes)
Permalink
OGR Forum Member
 
October 4, 2012 4:26 PM

I thought these where the Lionel/Ives transition cars which Lionel numbered 1766/67/68. I was under the impression that they used Ives truck stampings?

 

The tracks of life are ballasted with crushed dreams

 
 
Like Like (0 likes)
Permalink
OGR Forum Member
 
October 4, 2012 5:06 PM

Nope. Those were a lionel design. Also used on 392w tenders.
 

"A world without IVES, is a world of empty lives."

 
 
Like Like (0 likes)
Permalink
OGR Forum Member
 
October 4, 2012 6:05 PM

Two versions of this truck were made by IVES. The first was made from 1925-27 and was used on the deluxe 180 181 182 cars. These can show up with all 6 wheels, or sometimes with just 4 per truck. Our best guess is cost cutting measures in 1927. These trucks used a fiber roller pick up and standard mounting.

 

The second truck, reworked to use the smaller journals also added a spreader bar. Although some early 1928 180 series cars did not have one, but they are very rare. This truck used snake pull mounting and was made from 1928-30. It came on the large American Flyer and Lionel bodied cars in the "Occupation" years. They also came in red when used on a Black Diamond, or Chief car. 

 

1927 truck

 

 

 

 

 

"A world without IVES, is a world of empty lives."

 
 
Like Like (0 likes)
Permalink
OGR Forum Member
 
October 5, 2012 9:07 AM

Originally Posted by The Nighthawk:

Two versions of this truck were made by IVES.... The second truck, reworked to use the smaller journals also added a spreader bar. Although some early 1928 180 series cars did not have one, but they are very rare. This truck used snake pull mounting and was made from 1928-30. It came on the large American Flyer and Lionel bodied cars in the "Occupation" years. They also came in red when used on a Black Diamond, or Chief car. 

 

 

 

 

 

 


It's the second type of truck pictured above complete with a snake pull coupler, mounting plate plus an electrical roller pickup that I want to purchase.  These are the same trucks that MTH installed on its reproduction Ives transition cars, which they sold with their Olympian and Milwaukee Road Ives set, both of which I own, as well as with their reproduction Black Diamond, National Limited, Prosperity, and other sets.  Altogether I imagine MTH sold a bunch of these Ives transition cars so I now find it amazing that they no longer have these basic repair parts in stock. 

 

Does anyone know what MTH's policy is on stocking repair parts?

 

Bob

 
 
 
Like Like (0 likes)
Permalink
OGR Forum Member
 
October 5, 2012 1:55 PM

Originally Posted by navy.seal:


It's the second type of truck pictured above complete with a snake pull coupler, mounting plate plus an electrical roller pickup that I want to purchase.  These are the same trucks that MTH installed on its reproduction Ives transition cars, which they sold with their Olympian and Milwaukee Road Ives set, both of which I own, as well as with their reproduction Black Diamond, National Limited, Prosperity, and other sets.  Altogether I imagine MTH sold a bunch of these Ives transition cars so I now find it amazing that they no longer have these basic repair parts in stock. 

 

Does anyone know what MTH's policy is on stocking repair parts?

 

Bob

I might add that the Black Diamond truck is NOT the same as the National Limited truck -- different frame due to mounting issues on Flyer-bodies vs Lionel bodies.  

 

And it seems MTH policy is to have very few tinplate parts available.

 
 
 
Like Like (0 likes)
Permalink
OGR Forum Member
 
October 5, 2012 3:55 PM

 

   The difference must be only on the MTH imitations. My original Chief and Black Diamond have the same trucks....

 

  I should have some of these made up in the next few weeks. I got sick of hunting for them. Had the sideframes and spreader bars laser cut, still working on the bolsters. Of course you are on your own with wheels and trim....

 

"A world without IVES, is a world of empty lives."

 
 
Like Like (0 likes)
Permalink
OGR Forum Member
 
October 5, 2012 7:37 PM

Your best bet (youve probably already thought about it) is to buy a junker car on e-bay or at a train show and cannibilize it.   bertiejoa

 
 
 
Like Like (0 likes)
Permalink
OGR Forum Member
 
October 5, 2012 8:55 PM

Originally Posted by bertiejoa:

Your best bet (youve probably already thought about it) is to buy a junker car on e-bay or at a train show and cannibilize it.   bertiejoa

Few junkers around.  Did MEW produce these for a while, or were they just planning a run?

 
 
 
Like Like (0 likes)
Permalink
OGR Forum Member
 
October 5, 2012 9:46 PM

Junkers would be great, unfortunately the cars which used these trucks are incredibly rare, in some colors only a few are known. So even a junker can be in the 4 figure range.

 

MEW never made them, RichArt was the last and Dick used the Varney Sirus tooling. Mine should be perfect down to the slightest detail, i just need to make a die for the bolster to stick in the ram. 

 

 

 

I need 3 for a set of 28' cadet blue 187 188 189 cars and im sick of waiting!

 

"A world without IVES, is a world of empty lives."

 
 
Like Like (0 likes)
Permalink
OGR Forum Member
 
October 5, 2012 10:44 PM

This car has Lionel trucks and couplers with Ives badging.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lionel-Ives-Transition-Passenger-Car-490-Standard-Gauge-Scarce-Nice-Boxed-/221127842257?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item337c3f19d1

Was it made this way? I always thought the Ives badged cars had Ives trucks and snake couplers.

 

I looked on the MEW parts list and they have item 1177 late STG truck. Page 11 maybe. Is this the correct truck or something different.

 

Jim C

 

 
 
Like Like (0 likes)
Permalink
OGR Forum Member
 
October 6, 2012 1:57 PM

Originally Posted by F&G RY:

This car has Lionel trucks and couplers with Ives badging.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lionel-Ives-Transition-Passenger-Car-490-Standard-Gauge-Scarce-Nice-Boxed-/221127842257?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item337c3f19d1

Was it made this way? I always thought the Ives badged cars had Ives trucks and snake couplers.

 

I looked on the MEW parts list and they have item 1177 late STG truck. Page 11 maybe. Is this the correct truck or something different.

The truck on the ebay listing car is a Lionel truck.  The very last versions of the Lionel cars with Ives badges (decals) in apple green were pure Lionel cars, straight off the Lionel shelf, with all Lionel parts, trucks and couplers included.  These cars were made in the Lionel factory and they just put Ives decals where the cars would normally say "Lionel Lines".  There is nothing Ives about these cars, except the name.


The MEW part 1177 is probably a Lionel type truck....either 4 or 6 wheel.  You'll have to call / email Barry and ask him.

 

 

"Built like a Battleship" -Baldwin

 
 
Like Like (0 likes)
Permalink
OGR Forum Member
 
October 6, 2012 4:42 PM

Then the car is late late Ives well after the takeover and correct in the aspect it is as sold by Ives under Lionel control. These must be the ones where sometimes the decal was placed right over the Lionel Lines.

 

The 1177 part was listed under Ives in the parts cat. Bob N will find out what it is when he contacts them by phone or E-Mail. Based on the above posts it seems bleak it is the part he needs.

 

Jim C

 

 
 
Like Like (0 likes)
Permalink
OGR Forum Member
 
October 6, 2012 8:08 PM

The MEW truck is a late 4 wheel freight truck.
 

"A world without IVES, is a world of empty lives."

 
 
Like Like (0 likes)
Permalink
OGR Forum Member
 
October 6, 2012 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by The Nighthawk:
The MEW truck is a late 4 wheel freight truck.

That's the truck that Dick Mayer supplied for the Osisek Circus sets.  

 
 
 
Like Like (0 likes)
Permalink
OGR Forum Member
 
October 8, 2012 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by The Nighthawk:

Junkers would be great, unfortunately the cars which used these trucks are incredibly rare, in some colors only a few are known. So even a junker can be in the 4 figure range.

 

MEW never made them, RichArt was the last and Dick used the Varney Sirus tooling. Mine should be perfect down to the slightest detail, i just need to make a die for the bolster to stick in the ram. 

 

 

 

I need 3 for a set of 28' cadet blue 187 188 189 cars and im sick of waiting!


MEW may not have made them "yet", but when Dick Mayer was making some of my Standard Gauge Milwaukee Road passenger cars I recall him telling me that he was waiting to receive back from MEW some of the truck parts (wheels, axles, etc.) he needed to complete my order.  He told me that MEW had just purchased his tooling and spare parts for these cars under the provision that he would be able to get back from them any parts he needed to complete the orders he had taken prior to selling the tooling/parts to MEW.  Based on this discussion, it's quite possible that MEW has the tooling but has just not used it yet to make some Ives 6-wheel passenger car trucks. 

 

I just emailed MEW and asked if they had this tooling. 

 

Bob Nelson

 
 
 
Like Like (0 likes)
Permalink
 
Post Reply