Steve, you're right. I followed the manual on my first attempt to install DCS. As I mentioned, I had six loops, but decided to try the set up on the first loop I installed and make sure it worked before I proceeded with the others. My layout was around the room perimeter. On a 140' loop I had 16 sets of feeder wires (every 10th track joint) around the loop from the track with a center rail plastic insulating track joiner in between. Trying the 'star' or 'home run' wiring was daunting, getting wire from the other side of the room, around the perimeter to a terminal strip was a mess of wires. And I'd have five more to do like that. No way!! When I tried operating I had bad signal problems. I eventually put light bulbs at every wire feed at it made it worse!
I ripped it all out and tried running bus wires around the layout. My first mistake was connecting the ends of the bus wire together. The signal problem was no better. So I just went simple. I unconnected the ends of the bus wire, attached one end of the bus directly to the TIU output, connected the feeder wires to the bus and added one bulb to the other end of the bus. BOOM!! Perfect 10 signal all around the loop! That's all I did other than make sure the track was clean, PS 2 batteries fully charged and fresh remote batteries.
I did clean off the blackened center rail on my Atlas O track, but I didn't notice any difference. The rest of the loops I left the center rail alone and still had good results. I've also been told it's not necessary to insulate the center rail around a loop. I'm going to test this out on the current layout I'm building.
Interesting. I had buss wiring, with a continuous loop(maybe that caused some of my problems) Things ran reasonably well and then suddenly one day, I began loosing control and nothing changed on the layout. We then did some back tracking and moved away from the buss wiring. My layout is 15x48, Inner, outer, yard and ladder tracks. Tried home runs from mid way of the 48’ side on around and had signal problems further away from the TIU. Eventually I bought another TIU, each midway on the 48’ side. Halved each loop and ran back to each TIU. I don’t have 10’s everywhere but I have full control. The problem is I have 2 open channels per TIU now but I guess it gives me room to grow. I should also mention the tracks joints are all soldered and track is clean.