FRENCHTRAINS posted:John Smatlak posted:FRENCHTRAINS posted:
And here's the next question- how do you get a wheel/axle set out of one of the Bing 1920's O gauge trucks? I'm used to being able to widen up the truck frame enough to slip one end of the axle out (either by some gentle bending or disassembly), but I've discovered you can't do that with these. I removed the side frame from the truck with some further loosening of the tabs (this one was already loose at the old solder joint between the bolster and the side frame), but the ends of the axle appear to be captive inside the little O gauge axle box on the side frames. Do they have a collar on the end of the axle?
I need to straighten one bent axle, hence my interest. Some photos attached, along with a video of the Bing clockwork train running with the other two coaches.
Nice video John, your cars are perfect with the 440. Restoring Bing cars of that series is sometime painful... I have also had some difficulties and it seems that the bogies where not intended to be removed.
I have in the spare part section an extra bogie with the cover axle lost and here is the solution, a round collar at the end of the axle, you are right. Easy to remove when the cover is not on the bogie but at first you will need to move the two tabs, top and under, of the main frame bogie. look at the pictures it's maybe better to understand.
Good luck with your fixing. Daniel
Daniel- thank you for the reply. I would agree- it appears the wheel/axle sets were not meant to be removed. One axle did remove itself while I was working on it and I found it had a slightly different axle end than in your photos, this one appears to have a groove cut into it and that snaps into a corresponding opening inside the axle box, although perhaps it is just very worn. I was however able to straighten the bent axle with some pliers once I had the extra length exposed by removing the side frame from the bolster (of course it was the other axle, not the one that fell clear of the frame). That was more than enough fun for me, so I have now attempted to put it all back together with some epoxy to try and keep the bolster/side frame connection together. We'll see how that works. Thanks again!