Your photo above was the before, and here is the after...
I made a new frame out of styrene braced with basswood to lower the overall height of the engine. I removed all the molded outward door lines (which was a lot of work!) and made some facia suggested side doors out of styrene. Decaling was much easier minus those molded door lines on the loco shell as was. I also removed the grill detail on each end of the loco for the NS nose herald. I filled in the holes where those flimsy plastic warped handrails go, and put window screen on the deck to suggest treadplate. And I enlarged the headlight holes in each end of the cab to accept an actual light bulb, so the headlights show up very nicely.
Runs just fine too. Though I've never referred to these as 44 ton switchers (as really they aren't ) but instead I call mine "center cab" switchers.
I have another one done in Conrail with a slightly different approach that I need to get up into my thread linked below.