Lew, thank you. I will go on record as being very unhappy with this track. I was asked to help this man after he had installed about 200 or 300 feet of track. I had to break his apart and start looking for open circuit sections (after rewiring his entire layout with heavier gauge -- he was using 22 AWG) . I have found that I needed to test 6 to 10 foot sections and squeeze the connectors on every piece while watching the ohm meter for improvement. When I had a good section, I screwed it down while watching the meter because even the slightest re-position would add to the resistance. I was indeed hurried because the room became chaotic when a family of several adults and kids piled in and I needed to cease working. I should have thought about using the track voltage post provided, so thank you for that. I have not tried bending the center rail pin slightly but will do so. By the way, I do the squeezing with smooth, parallel jaw pliers which is similar to water pump pliers except for the smooth jaw and more precise control. Brand is Knipex -- love them! I found out the hard way that tighter is not better when squeezing this track -- there is a "just right" which can be seen when watching the resistance while squeezing. Track laying should not be this tedious. I think he must have purchased a defective lot, because I see that the track is very popular and most people are apparently having better luck. He even had an insulated section that had the standard strap installed across the outer rails -- someone goofed on that assembly and it took me a while to find it because I was in denial -- removed track, inspected it and bingo! Many thanks to all of you!