I ran a locomotive real slow over all the track and had no issues (hope so since I dropped power about every 3 inches......ah just kidding).
I have started the Korber-Pecos diesel shed build. I have built these kits for customers so learned some stuff that I will describe as the build proceeds. Rich had put together an instruction sheet that is very helpful. The shed was designed with 6 side walls but available space limited the length to 5 walls. I put all the pieces on my table saw bench to make sure everything was there. You can see how the building will look from the bottom left of the photo below. There will be a brick concourse at both levels. From the upper left you can see the back wall. The left bottom wall will be brick. the right side will be a entrance to an office.
Below in the fronttwo walls. As you can see I will need to cut away the bottom to make an entrance. I will also need to build up the wall height using the bottom pilasters since there will be no foundation wall attached.
The back wall is shown below
I spent most of the afternoon cutting flash and mold nibs off all the pieces and sanding the edges. I then glued 2 wall units together. the corner wall on the left is what the completed wall will look like with windows and brick installed. Note the brick inserts are all one width. The insert for the top course is used as is. However since the foundation has a lip that overlaps the first floor window wall the brick insert needs to be trimmed to fit.
I trimmed the nubs on the sides of the walls so they would fit together. The instructions say to build the wall units separately, glue them together then add the pilasters. I learned to deviate from this as shown below. If you attempt to trim and sand to make the walls absolutely flush with each other and glue them together then the pilasters won't fit and you will end up having to trim them to width. I have learned to trim the nubs just enough so the walls will fit however I use the pilasters as spacers when gluing the walls together. I fit the walls together then glue in the pilasters while pushing the walls flush with the pilasters.
I leave the top pilaster at its original length and glue it in first. I then glue the foundation pilaster at the bottom.
Because this is a two story building I need to trim the middle plaster to length to fit.
Next week I will try to finish gluing all the remaining walls together. From there I will assemble the 4 walls into a structure then start painting everything.
Right now it looks like:
- Caribbean Sand for the base structure (I may make this darker to look more like concrete rather than plaster)
- Dark red for windows and the door
- Dark red for the brick with joint compound for mortar.