shorling posted:GeoPeg posted:shorling posted:
My gate was barely flashing in the up position and would not stop. I fixed it by tweeking the upper left adjustment screw.
Thank you, Steve. I found the same thing, only every time I tweaked the upper left screw, it lasted for just one or two down-up cycles, then it was back to barely flashing. I did remove the gear box cover, and cleaned both limit switches with alcohol-soaked tiny strips of cardboard, but it still was not right. So I pulled the (limit switch) cover off again, and got more aggressive with #400 sandpaper, followed by an alcohol soaked piece of paper towel for cleanup - that did the trick, works like a charm now!
If I had taken a jeweler's loupe with me to the train show, I would have seen that 3 of the 4 screws in the limit switch cover were different sizes. And I might have noticed the bends in the gate arm. But I tend to be more than a little unobservant at these shows, usually slapping my forehead when I get home
I finally wired both crossings up to my 45-1028 ITAD (also bought at a train show) and all is well in crossing-land!!!
George Thanks for your reply !! I think little fingers were at the center of my crossing gate issues. I had one gate that wouldn't raised and the motor continued to run. The flashing lights wouldn't turn off when raised on the other gate. I saved a some bucks on the bay on replacements advertised as old but never used and working. I installed one to replace my stuck down gate, the replacement gate worked but slightly slow and noisy. It also went too far down and the flashing lights didn't turn off. Fiddling with the adjustment screws fixed the too far down and lights issues. My other gate lights were also fixed with tweeking the upper left adjustment screw.
At some point, I have to try and return my stuck down gate to service.
I can testify that those crossing gate mechanisms are indeed quite delicate, and definitely not something likely to survive a carpet layout with little fingers around! I was surprised at the good fit of all the parts, obviously well engineered and manufactured … with perhaps the exception of the tiny plastic gear on the motor shaft. Although my motor gears were both good, it's obvious that there's not much plastic there to keep those tiny gears from splitting.
Well, the car has been mostly cleared of snow and the interior is warming as I get ready to head out for a train show in Salem, OH this morning. Hopefully I will find a couple more that I can purchase with renewed confidence that they CAN be repaired - just hope I don't have to go the metal motor gear route - that sounds a bit iffy and def adds to the cost. Happy Sunday!