Some generalizations with out getting too awful technical:
- You won't fry any AC locomotive regardless of wave pattern (pure sine wave or chopped sine wave).
- Any older transformer (pre/postwar) such as the 1033, LW, KW, ZW and such are pure sine wave transformers.
- Most modern transformers are chopped sine wave transformers. This includes the CW, GW, ZW-C, ZW-L, TPC and PowerMaster units.
- There is most power delivered with the chopped sine wave transformers which can be deemed beneficial for smoke unit performance.
- I recall some very early MTH ProtoSound locomotives have difficulties with chopped sine wave transformers.