Skip to main content

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right forum because it could cover DCS, Bluerail, etc. 

I have two conventional Lionel 0-6-0 docksiders from a few years back. I originally was going to drop a Mini Commander 2 board in them to make them TMCC controlled but then a guy told me Protosound 3 can run off wifi and that's handy if your friends get the app on their phones. And then I started looking up if it's possible to install Lionchief 2.0+ (for bluetooth) and I ended up learning that a thing called Bluerail exists but it sounds like a less-direct-install. 

Now my head is spinning! I have always had conventional control so I don't know what I like in terms of command control. I suspect I can't lose with a ERR upgrade or Protosound 3 upgrade. It seems like they wind up being a matter of user preference based on what I have read here. I'm just flat out asking what you guys would do in my situation. Mini Commander 2? Protosound 3? Something else? 

Other details: As far as having space for boards, I was thinking I could fit a board in a caboose behind the docksider. These docksiders will pull yard duty. One at a coal tipple, one in a steel mill. I also have an older 6-8635 0-4-0 steam switcher, an S2 turbine from 40s (I think), a conventional Lionel RS-3, and a Lionel 0-8-0 with railsounds. I intend to upgrade these locomotives to something that can be command controlled. I have a weak understanding of electricity but I'm good at wiring if I have instructions (meaning I can follow good instructions haha) so I'm not intimidated at modifications if there's information available on what to do. 

What does everyone think? Go full ERR? DCS? Wait for a Lionchief upgrade? 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Well, BlueRail is going to take you in a new direction as far as control systems. 

If you want to stick with existing solutions, I'd consider the ERR solution.  Note that you can run TMCC/Legacy using WiFi as well, and the WiFi application is available on Android and IOS platforms.  MTH WiFi only has IOS support.  Also, as you have probably heard, MTH is closing up shop.  Although there is talk of the electronics continuing, it's pretty hard to say how long that might last, or even if it will come about. I'm unable to get MTH parts right now, so if they're hard to come by before they close, I have a hard time imagining they'll be easier to get after they close!

I'd recommend sticking with a solution that's more likely to be supported in the future, TMCC/Legacy will be around for a long time.

I don't see an LC upgrade happening any time soon, unless you're very patient, I'd look at currently available solutions.

Thanks John. I've been combing through threads with the search function and see you in a lot of them. I don't actually know much about Bluerail but it doesn't seem to be specifically compatible with 3 rail AC like an ERR or MTH product. 

I saw a recent thread involving a 2-6-6-2 upgrade. The locomotive to be upgraded had recently been released as a Legacy engine if I understood correctly. So it could be possible to order the Legacy board and then install it. I didn't get a chance to finish reading the thread yet so maybe I misunderstood. That's something I'm considering with the LC stuff if it's possible. It sounds reasonable in my mind but I'm not an expert by any means. 

I thought TMCC/Legacy ran by using the house's earth ground and the LC ran via Bluetooth. Am I mixed up? 

@BillYo414 posted:

I don't actually know much about Bluerail but it doesn't seem to be specifically compatible with 3 rail AC like an ERR or MTH product. 

BlueRail will work with AC and an App for IOS only.  Do you want sounds?  You would have to purchase a separate sound decoder if you did.

You could probably fit the BueRail board in the 0-6-0.  It's not that big, but I don't know what your space looks like.

I also did a LionChief upgrade to a RMT Beep.  That is very small like your 0-6-0.  I robbed the board from a doner Diesel from Thomas the tank engine for $90.  The sounds really stink.  So I turned them off.  I ended up getting two alike and run them double headed with one remote.

The LionChief transplant thread is here.

I'm still playing with the BlueRail.  I test fit it in an MTH F3.  Ran Track Power and battery.  I also test fit it in an MTH 2-8-0 and put it in the tender.  That runs on AC track power.    That thread is here.

It really depends on what features you want, how you want to run it and how much money you want to spend.

Have Fun!

Ron

I prefer sounds but they're not a deal breaker. I have a recording from a mill that I plan to have playing. Chuffing will only add to the interest. Are the LC sounds rough because it's LC? Or because there wasn't any space for the right speaker? Bad sounds are worse than no sounds for me. 

I can always save up for something. But I'm a play collector. I want to have a good time running trains. 

I'm gonna have to comb through those threads and see what I can learn. I think I saw AC Bluerail thread in my searches. I'm an Android guy but old iPhones can be affordable. 

@BillYo414 posted:

I prefer sounds but they're not a deal breaker. I have a recording from a mill that I plan to have playing. Chuffing will only add to the interest. Are the LC sounds rough because it's LC? Or because there wasn't any space for the right speaker?  

LC Sounds can be good.  They were just lousy from this cheapo transplant.  You can buy spare LC PCB's and remotes on Lionel's website.  You might be able to find a good one if you want to go that route.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.