Skip to main content

So recently my father and I purchased a few engines from a lady who's husband died. We bought a Lionel 1656 in about C-7 condition and a locomotive marked as Lionel 656. The 656 is an 0-6-0 switcher locomotive that has an almost identical shell to the 1656. The only shell difference is a fixed bell verses a swinging bell and a screw right behind the bell. Our assumption at the moment is that somebody modified a 1656 to have an 0-6-0 configuration with something like a 2018, 2016, or a 2026 motor unit. Was there ever a postwar 0-6-0 steam engine made? Was there an engine numbered 656? Is it possible we have a prototype of some sort? Thanks in advance.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

No, there was never a Lionel post-war 0-6-0 steam switcher CATALOGED nor was there ever a Lionel post-war or pre-war locomotive numbered 656.  The number 656 was used on a pre-war O gauge cattle car made from 1935 though 1940 although Lionel occasionally reused a pre-war number on a completely different post-war item.

There was a #403 steam switcher shown in the 1946 catalog but this engine was never made.  In the image in the catalog (probably an artist's drawing and not a photograph) it is parked between two other steam locomotives so it’s not possible to determine if it was to have 4 drivers or 6 drivers and the text does not give that detail either. 

Now there was also a poster produced by Lionel for dealers sometime in the mid to late 1940’s which showed an 0-6-0 steam switcher.  I do not have a copy of this poster but I have seen examples of it.  As I recall there were two different versions of this poster and I believe the difference was that one showed an 0-6-0 and the other one showed an 0-4-0 in its place.  One version was also smaller.  Maybe someone else has a copy of the poster and can provide more details.  I don’t know if that poster has ever been discussed on this forum.   You might want to do a search of the Forum’s archives.  

HTH,

Bill

Last edited by WftTrains

Update on the posters:  I forgot that the posters were listed in the 1990 Greenberg Guide to Lionel Paper book by Osterhoff.  Both versions are listed on page 53 if you have that book.  No photos, just descriptions and both versions are listed as 1947.  Also they are not identified as DEALER posters as I had said earlier. 

If you don’t have the book the description for the first version says “16½” wide x 10½” high, wall poster, printed on one side in yellow, black, and red ink on white paper, shows 0-6-0 switcher numbered 8976 and 5 other locomotives.  Advertising copy reads LIONEL R.R. GUIDE”.  According to the text in the book, the 2nd version listing differs in that it measures 20¾” wide x 15¾” high and shows an 0-4-0 switcher numbered “1662”.

Speculation on my part that possibly Lionel was planning an 0-6-0 for 1947 but because they did not make an 0-6-0 in 1947 (or in any other post-war year) that first version of the poster turned out to be incorrect and had to be replaced.  The number 8976 used on 0-6-0 in that version of the poster was the cab number on the pre-war scale 0-6-0 which I believe was cataloged as #227.  So they printed a slightly different poster which showed an 0-4-0 instead.  Ironically, they didn’t make an 0-4-0 in 1947, either!  Although there was an 0-4-0 in 1946 it was numbered 1665, not 1662.  The number 1662 is probably from the pre-war 0-4-0 #1662 as no post-war locomotive used that number.  After skipping a year, the 0-4-0 switcher returned in 1948 with the number 1656, which is the other one you have.

The first version of the poster suggests that Lionel was planning a post-war 0-6-0 and lends some credibility that yours could be a pre-production sample although it's also possible it is a modified 1656.

HTH,

Bill

wft trains , Bill ,I just stumbled across these posts, Christmas of 46 Lionel did put out a few 403's with left over stock that had post war knuckle couplers and tenders with post war trucks , I have 1 and it is not a Madison Hardware update. There are a lot of folks say the same thing about a never was , until you see , or have one.

Mike

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.