Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I definitely second Paul’s suggestions. I’d also like to see more industries with flat backs like grain silos or coal/ore mines. An older style freight building/depot would be nice too.

As far as non-train related buildings, I’d like to see: a city hall, a gazebo/city park, a drive in theater with concession stands, and a 1950’s highway motel.

I would have also said a church, but you beat me to it with a nice offering!

When you make the Wonder/Hostess/ Interstate Bakeries Corporation factory be sure to make some "Happy Birthday America" Hoppers as well!  Some plain Wonder/ Hostess hoppers would be cool as well.  If you can only do one, go for the bicentennial.   

Back to buildings I would love a vintage Stuckey's & a generic looking old school gas station that came with different brands you could put on it.   While I am dreaming I would love for it to either come with pumps from multiple eras or you guys could sell the pumps separately.  I know the 50's  "transition era" is popular.  I would like a building generic enough that it wouldn't look out of place with 50's style logos and pumps, yet would also look ok with 70's-80's era mechanical pumps.    I think Walther's used to have something like this (it did not come with any logos).  Many 50's and 60's gas station building hung on until the 80's or later.  I suspect a few are still in use.

To focus in on a part of the above post.

ACFX 56670 in the Bicentennial scheme was leased to HOSTESS / WONDER BREAD. It was a 5250 Cubic Foot Capacity, ACF CENTER FLOW 4-bay covered hopper.

K-Line once had that type of ACF CENTER FLOW, 5250 Cu. Ft., 4-bay covered hoppers produced in Aluminum in O scale.

MENARDS needs to find a way to produce them again in Plastic or Aluminum, then apply that HOSTESS scheme plus the WISCONSIN CENTRAL scheme.

Andrew

Falcon Service

Ben;

You’re killing me - a Bohack to go along with your next beer cars and Ebingers. If they make an Ebinger’s store as opposed to the factory, they would have to include a couple of women in white smocks wearing hair nets... and those green boxes!!! I can taste the crumb cake and iced kringles!!! I’d be definitely in for one of each - preferably as flats, I think.

Walthers Steel Mill series has been HUGELY successful.  I suggest doing a series of O Scale flats of the FORD River Rouge complex.  Not only could you do different sides of the plant which included multiple assembly buildings, a glass plant, a steel mill all types of sub steel mfg CP GP30 ROUGEcomponents an iconic Ford Water tower but all the tangential products Menards could do.  There is / was a huge freighter dock in the middle of the plant to off load ore, coal, sand.  So Lake Freighters could go with line, tugs, so many additional smalls.  Cranes, gantrys conveyers, unlimited industrial options.  Ford Rouge had it all.

Image result for ford river rouge plantImage result for ford river rouge plantInnovation Isn't About Control, But AccessImage result for ford river rouge plantImage result for ford river rouge plantImage result for ford river rouge plantImage result for ford river rouge plantImage result for ford river rouge plant

Attachments

Images (3)
  • CP GP30 ROUGE
  • blobid0
  • blobid1

A few thoughts come to mind

- Modular Grain Elevator: Section A is a standalone grain elevator with several silos, the Section B has silos that can be added to the first section to expand the overall building. One can add multiple B sections together to extend the overall length of silo.
Examples of configurations: A ,  A+B ,  A+B+B ,  A+B+B+B , etc....

Grain Silo Product Idea

- Modular Icing Platform: Similar design to the above mentioned grain elevator, this icing platform can be built-up in sections. Each section (P) would have a set of removable steps that can be mounted on either side of the platform section. This way one can tailor the length of the icing platform to the space they have
Examples of configurations: P (w/ steps) , P (w/ steps)+P (w/ steps) , P (w/ steps)+P ,  P (w/ steps)+P+P , etc...

F.W. Woolworth Co. Building: I haven't seen one made yet in O gauge

If you want further info on these product ideas, my email is in my profile.

Bryce

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Grain Silo Product Idea
Last edited by Oscale_Trains_Lover_

guys as nice a some of the suggestions here are. they my be too elaborate and unrealistic for menards to build.

mark, here is an idea that is sure to fit all eras and model rr. it can be made using the products you most likely already are using and takes up a very small space. it can be put against a wall or stand alone. this style of building if made with two loading doors would be great for spotting box cars on the layout. just make it about 30 inches long and 10 in wide and 10 high.this would accommodate all lenths of box cars to be used. a sign atop the building could be made in a long rectangular shape. non lighted and with multiple factory  name via stickers for placement buy purchaser. or whe could make our own. just light up the interior and it would look great and very down town industrial on any layout from oscale to ho scale. here is a photo of one thats been done years ago by someone. Screenshot_20210206-091057

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Screenshot_20210206-091057

Steak n Shake (50's-70's) Dog n Sud's drive in.

Rusty

I agree on a Dog n Suds Drive in. One is located in Tomahawk, WI.

To be practical, I would make the structure with 6 to 8 car stalls total. Otherwise it might be too large for some O gauge layouts. Most properties started out as Drive in only. Some locations added sit down later. Not looking for a neon sign, just the current logo lighted.

@david1 posted:

East coast supermarkets likeFood fair, Acme, Pathmark, Jewel, A&P and many others. All these are closed now except for Acme.

Many pictures of each on the Web.

Another thought is Horn and Hardant  automat restaurant. Great signage!

Dave

I'm in for a Food Fair store:  my first job with a paycheck at 15 years old in 1962.

There are so many great ideas on this thread! I am definitely in favor of some more flat buildings.

This is a very biased recommendation, but I'd love to see the Marceline, MO depot turned into a building - both HO and O scales. Marceline is my native hometown, and I think it had one of the most beautiful train stations in the Midwest. Although no trains stop there anymore, it has a wonderful new life as the Walt Disney Hometown Museum. Disney and his family lived there for several years during his boyhood in the early 20th century, and it was in Marceline where he discovered his passion for drawing, as well as his lifelong affinity with trains.

Personally, I think the brickwork and architecture of this station would make it an attractive model that could be an amazing addition to any of our layouts. I appreciate this thread and the opportunity for all of us to share our ideas - thank you!

Marceline, MO Depot

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Marceline, MO Depot: Beginning in 2001, it is now the Walt Disney Hometown Museum.
Last edited by Patrick Downing

Most of those above are too specific or extremely local. We all have a "local", and a bakery (etc) across the country doesn't perk me up.

Not your thing, but more heavy industry, maybe modular so that we can buy all or part ("Collect All Three!"). Small portions of big industries.

And: flats, flats, flats - which can fit in with the "small portions of big industries" idea.

OK,

So what does the competition NOT have or no longer make.

1.  Pedestrian overpasses.

Discontinued:

http://www.lionel.com/products...kover-green-6-37115/

https://www.walthers.com/atlas...kit-6-quot-clearance

https://www.worthpoint.com/wor...-pedestrian-19791730

https://mthtrains.com/30-9053

These can also be cut in half to make stairs for elevated lines.

2.  30" long scale bridge girder plate sections that can be cut to length.  One supplier makes them (26.5 inches).

3.  Long stair sections with hand rails that we can cut to the length we need.  Usually that involves a lot of work to piece together.

Last edited by Craftech
@Jim R. posted:

But the building used for the “Last Man Standing” Outdoor Man’s exterior shots is simply a Bass Pro Shops store, specifically in Rancho Cucamonga, California. Not a bad idea.

As you can tell I do make a living as a comedian.  My comment was a play on words....the building was planned but cancelled.....much like the TV show......back to model trains for me!

1.A Hospital based on the Police/Fire station footprint with a Rescue copter on top.

2. A the Theater with chase lights like the old "Elektra" one.

3. A operating, waving American Flag. Smaller computer fans are cheap and the trick is to

match the airflow (CFM) and make a small diagonal duct on the non flag side of the fan to direct

the airflow to the flag side.

Thank you Mark for soliciting suggestions.  UnclePeteRR

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_1725 (1)
@paul 2 posted:

Love to see more building flats made. Not so much front of the buildings but maybe with just train loading and unloading docks or even some with a covered train shed. also made so you could put more then one side by side to make longer buildings. also some older style buildings from the early 1900's. ......Paul 2

I too agree w/ Paul's suggestion of more building flats (especially the often real world rear track facing side).  Maybe Menards can design two separate types that can work independently or together.

1. Product A:  multi-unit building/arcade style (brick or wood) style commercial front w/ Menards clever train pass-thru back.
  2. Product B:  the coordinating rear-side of Product A that typically faces the railroad tracks and includes a variety of rear entry doors, larger loading doors/docks for trucks and/or a boxcar.  Since Product B is the track-side rear it would not include the train pass-thru feature.

Menards has come out with many excellent building options over the past several years. Many of which require some serious space. The much less depth of a few inch facade can appeal to a wide audience and be placed in many spaces.

More taverns would be great.

I think the rule is you need 3 taverns for every church.

In some areas that is reversed but I remember many small towns that seemed to have a tavern or a church on every corner in the middle of town.

If you made a chasing Holiday Inn sign you would have a license to print money.  The Great Sign has it's own facebook page with quite a few members.

I love the idea of a 7-11.  K Line had one years ago, no idea who wound up with the tooling. 

Awesome suggestions like the idea of 7 eleven. Dunkin’ Donuts or dawn donuts

any building with a fan driven smoke unit would be awesome!!  Could be factories bakeries or houses with working chimney

carnival stands with smoke units such as making popcorn or cotton candy.

working LEd camp fire accessory with smoke unit

Like the holiday inn idea with neon sign, Amtrak station with Miller engineering neon ticket sign.  

what about a local home town Sears hardware?

would like to see the expansion of the restaurant line as mentioned Burger King subway kfc

@Garfield posted:

More taverns would be great.

I think the rule is you need 3 taverns for every church.

I've lived in a town that had a tavern on every corner in the "downtown" area and along the main route in through town.   I would suspect the ratio was more like 9 to 1.   A few of the older majestic churches were closed or converted into - a bar/restaurant or a law office.

@PilotPete posted:

Pabst Brewery, or any large brewery for that matter. As a dedicated beer lover, you can never have too many breweries. I also second the idea of a Howard Johnson, maybe the restaurant-hotel combo.

Cheers, Pete

Funny thing is Pabst doesnt have any breweries they own  Miller does all their brewing even though Pabst owns the recipes to about 40 local beers

The brewery subject keeps popping up among the other personal favorites we all have. Although I did purchase the Sprecher offering (yet to be renamed) I too would like to see my personal favorite, Fauerbach or Leinengkugels, would do nicely.

With that said, one category we haven't seen to date is a drugstore. How about a Rennebohm Drugstore. A Wisconsin staple for decades with 30 stores until purchased by Walgreens back in 1980.

How about something that has been absent from the model railroading world, a nice large school. I just threw this one as a suggestion from my hometown but something that is two stories or so. Maybe something similar in design to the Dept. 56 Snowy Hills hospital, I think a lot of different buildings (school, hospital, etc.) can be made from this one design.

robert-frost-middle-school

Image result for dept 56 hospital

Attachments

Images (1)
  • robert-frost-middle-school
Last edited by RJ I
@RJ I posted:

How about something that has been absent from the model railroading world, a nice large school. I just threw this one as a suggestion from my hometown but something that is two stories or so. Maybe something similar in design to the Dept. 56 Snowy Hills hospital, I think a lot of different buildings (school, hospital, etc.) can be made from this one design.

robert-frost-middle-school

Image result for dept 56 hospital

I agree, a school would be ideal. I small two story building would fit in anywhere from the 1950's to now. Plus this style of building could be used for other types of buildings.

I know my youngest son wants to buy the new church but modify it into a school. I'd hold him off if I knew a school was in the works.

James

@wild mary posted:

Iron Horse and Dave -  It just doesn't seem to fit .  Supper Club/Roadhouse,  Howard Johnson's/Roadhouse,

Biker Bar/Roadhousebooyah-comic-pop_a-G-10391412-0

I concede, Wild Mary, you're right. But my layout already has an MTH Harley shop, an MTH Harley drive-in diner and a blues club where the Rolling Stones are playing small gigs now that they are old.  My supper club would truly welcome bikers!  But if your roadhouse shows up at Menards instead of my supper club, I'll buy one!  And then I can park some of my scooters in front it as well as the Menards' Howard Johnsons, too. Or a Holiday Inn

Menards does a great job thinking out of the box for their structure releases
I would like then to make a couple of dilapidated houses. These house could be modified buy the buyer to suit their need as a haunted house/hobo house/building slated for demolition or just houses in a run down neighborhood. If you look at a lot of the structures the weathering is minimal. Menard’s could make make a need structure and maybe just modifying some of their own designs.

A cemetery would be nice with a hurst and people with head stones, something to go along with the new church. They could also put funny sayings on th tomb stones.

@AMCDave posted:

Those would be pretty easy to reproduce today using a laser cutter and printed texture. Laser would be easier and cheaper than the die cut method used back in the day. IIRC the windows were screen printed which you can do on a printer today.

I'd love to see them in plastic, even if it were a kit. The ones I have have seen better days.

Jerry

Here are a few

1. Reissue or retool the bar and grill. I saw the original on a Facebook and forgot how much i loved it
2. Someone mentioned a domino sugar building. As long as it has a light up sign, I’d buy one.

3. Make another brewery with a more recognizable brand. Obviously I’d love a natty Boh one, but the chances are lower than hitting the lottery!

I look forward to new products, as it has been a while since anything new has come from menards.

@jlm1973 posted:

Since Menards is out of Wisconsin a good choice would be another Wisconsin company like CULVERS.

I live below the "Cheddar Curtain " but every summer our family spends several weekends in Madison or Milwaukee. I would also like to see some buildings with a Wisconsin flair, like a Mader's restaurant or a Usinger's Sausage factory,  or the best one yet, State Street Brats with the iconic Bucky statue out front.   

@third rail posted:

I live below the "Cheddar Curtain " but every summer our family spends several weekends in Madison or Milwaukee. I would also like to see some buildings with a Wisconsin flair, like a Mader's restaurant or a Usinger's Sausage factory,  or the best one yet, State Street Brats with the iconic Bucky statue out front.   

I have a daughter living in Milwaukee and I like going to Mader's when we are in town. I really like your idea of Mader's or Usinger's Sausage factory.

Keeping with the Wisconsin theme, here are a few more ideas.

A facsimile of the  Mars Cheese Castle  on I94

A rustic northwoods restaurant with goats on the roof and a fish boil

A deer camp hunting lodge

A.frozen lake with ice fishing huts.

A facsimile of the G Heilmann brewery with the Old Style beer can holding tanks.

The Hormel factory in Beloit with the bean can holding tanks

I've downloaded photos of Hormel's plant in Beloit and also have taken photos in an attempt to make a backdrop to cut and paste.  I'm trying the same with Mullin's Cheese Factory in Knowlton.  Haven't finished either project and have had only limited success doing these types of things because 1.) it's hard to capture the right perspective that looks good on a layout -- people and cars get in the way,  and 2. It's hard to blow them up without them going blurry on you.HORMEL1

Attachments

Images (1)
  • HORMEL1

In addition to a stockpen or yard, l want the destination....a packing plant, with maybe the same pens as for loading, available for unloading.  I like that hillside coal breaker suggestion, and the wooden grain elevator (although l have too many) and would buy a variety of circa 1940 trackside structures....stamp mill, elevator, stock pens, etc.  If local grocery chains are in order, how about the Durango, Colorado Safeway a few blocks down the street from the Silverton train station in the 1950's?

I don’t have any room for more buildings on my layout. Unless I add an upper level. I’m not very good at making an upper level that looks very convincing.

If you could make a modular support framework, that could be configured to hold pre-cut masonite of different sizes, then I would have an upper level to house more buildings.

I may not be explaining this real well so I added a picture of Allan’s layout to help illustrate. The red arrows point to the concrete structure that supports the upper level. Something like this that would hold masonite/plywood.

88796E28-DC8E-4D9E-B45E-47C1A4E7DEA7

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 88796E28-DC8E-4D9E-B45E-47C1A4E7DEA7

O-scale buildings derived from REALLY BIG actual buildings won't fit on most home layouts, although large club layouts might sufficient create space for one.

IMHO, the best suggestion to date is ... Steak N Shake. There were five SNS restaurants in my hometown (Peoria, IL). Teenage cruisers (like me) would run the route to each one, order a Coke, and move along to the next one.

Mike Mottler   LCCA 12394

A narrow, long paper mill building where on on one end flat cars or gondola loaded with logs are emptied of their load.

The wood is turned into pulp in boiling hot vats that give off steam.

The steaming wet wood fiber is turned into sheets of paper that pass through spinning rollers.

The paper is chopped up and put into cardboard boxes.

The cardboard boxes are loaded into box cars at the other end of the paper mill building.

The structure needs to have large windows to view all the detailed action.

Andrew 

@jim sutter posted:

We can provide Menards with all kind of ideas as to what they should be making. What happens if they don't follow through. I just wonder how many of our suggestions have they made. Probably not many.

@A. Wells posted:

I was thinking that same thing.  And I'm not holding my breath for anything.

I guess I’m not sure of the point of these two replies. Menards asked for ideas in February and made no promises about producing anything from this list. This isn’t a wish fulfillment list. It’s an “ideas” list. And Menards has hardly had time in eight months to design and implement any ideas from this thread yet. Look to 2022 at the earliest.

Menards is a home improvement store. They have slowly integrated themselves into selling train items. They also sell on line to the rest of the country but don't get them confused with Lionel, MTH, Woodland Scenecs, Atlas O ect as their core business is home improvement. I think it's pretty amazing what they have done in just a few years especially with their price points. If you don't live near a Menards they usually have about 40 feet of shelf space 3 months out of the year dedicated to trains. The rest of the year the trains are in a storage area though it's accessible if you know where it is. Since this thread is supposed to be what buildings would you like to see Menards make I'll repete my earlier post, a nicely weathered corrigated or concrete grain elevator. Hopefully this thread is back on track.

Last edited by Dave Ripp.
@jim sutter posted:

Jim R. Maybe Menards should get some new designers. Somebody that can turnout product in a much more reasonable time frame. If Menards wants to be in this ballgame, maybe they need someone to step up. I get tired of excuses.

And yet, if Menards ever drops the train line, there will be a great wailing and gnashing of keyboards...

Besides, I'm sure Menards is facing the same supply chain and shipping issues everyone else is right now.

Rusty

Last edited by Rusty Traque

Here are a few.....

....a downtown city block with this store as a centerpiece.....

Peter

Kinda surprised nobody mentioned the 4 fully charged (pressurized) 3” hose lines going down the subway entrance. 4 charged lines means there was a real fire cooking when this picture was taken. The hydrant is also in use, as the spanner wrench can clearly been seen on the hydrant valve!

@jim sutter posted:

Jim R. Maybe Menards should get some new designers. Somebody that can turnout product in a much more reasonable time frame. If Menards wants to be in this ballgame, maybe they need someone to step up. I get tired of excuses.

Really? You think if you send an idea to Lionel in February that you’ll see it on the shelves in October? Jim, you are so far off base it’s ridiculous. Try two to three years from submitted idea to market.

There is research and development, which takes months. Then comes design, more months. Then tooling development, weeks to months, depending on factory schedule. Then test shots and approvals. Then production. Then shipping overseas. Then distribution.

Menards has managed to bring that timeline down somewhat, probably because of the elimination of tooling costs with its handcrafted buildings made from MDF.

Plenty information about the manufacturer processes on the web, including YouTube.

@Jim R. posted:

Really? You think if you send an idea to Lionel in February that you’ll see it on the shelves in October? Jim, you are so far off base it’s ridiculous. Try two to three years from submitted idea to market.

There is research and development, which takes months. Then comes design, more months. Then tooling development, weeks to months, depending on factory schedule. Then test shots and approvals. Then production. Then shipping overseas. Then distribution.

Menards has managed to bring that timeline down somewhat, probably because of the elimination of tooling costs with its handcrafted buildings made from MDF.

Plenty information about the manufacturer processes on the web, including YouTube.

well put Jim, well done. !! Some people don't realize the time frame it takes and the shipping problems these days.

@jim sutter posted:

A coal mine with buildings associated with coal mines. Like a machine shop, a power plant, row houses, a building to store dynamite and electric caps and a company store.

I like this idea very much, AND if considered since typical O-structures take up serious space I hope Menards would make it at a maximum half depth and use their clever hidden pass-thru portal to make a colliery coal breaker/wash-house/machine shop/company store type facility that could be placed as a background structure.  Maybe even as a phased or multi-purchase design that can be added over a limited time frame.

However, I would guess that something as described from the late 1890-1930's era would be a challenging endeavor to design and cross-promote current day Menard's suppliers in an effort to possibly help underwrite some of the production costs.

Last edited by Keystone

I know most folks are going with commercial retail/service establishments, industrial buildings, or a vast array of stations, but how about an old fashioned second empire or Victorian styled bed & breakfast?  Interchangeable among eras, fits almost any layouts geography, and can be easily repurposed if desired (as residential, a hometown doctors office, etc).

Example: https://www.oldhouseonline.com/house-tours/the-mania-for-mansard-roofs

Keystone, I glad you like my idea about a coal mine. I live in Indiana County, At one time there were a lot of coal mines here. Most of them were owned by the R. and P. Coal Company. My great uncle owned a old fashion Hardware store here in Homer City. My father and him ran it. I worked there from 1960 to 1973. All the mines in this area had accounts at the store. When i was a young boy, I can remember going with my dad to the different mines to deliver supplies and dynamite. Now the mines are about all gone, We still have three coal fired power plants in this county. How long they will last I don't know. The creek that runs down over the hill from our home. I can remember when it was orange. Now its clear and they are catching trout out of it.

Chris Lonero, I chose Howard Johnson because I can remember stopping there with my parents when I was a young boy to eat or just get a ice cream cone. I loved their Fisherman's platter. Back in the seventies my friends and I would always stop at Howard Johnsons going to York and coming home.

Last edited by jim sutter
@jim sutter posted:

Dear Jim,

I can fully understand your frustration.  But the fact that Menards is even in this ballgame at all is a miracle in itself and we should be thankful for it.  As you know its primary business is home improvement - not toy trains.   Thus far they have put out product that the other guys haven't been able to match either in variety or price point. 

Sure they have had a few glitches, but nothing like what the traditional train manufacturers have had and continue to have though they have over 200+ years of experience between themselves.  Just take a look at the zinc pest issue still creeping into expensive engines and circuit boards that do not have replacements if fried by accident (actually there should be preventative measures built in to protect it against accidental electrical overloads).

A few short months ago Menards introduced their first electrically powered engine to test the market and field out the bugs.  It wasn't a full home run but they did make it to third base and looking to steal home plate.   

Lets give them the time needed from submission of ideas to delivery of their "seasonal" product line.  The suggestions we put forth here are just that - suggestions.   I don't really expect to see a full blown array of buildings to capture a paper or steel mill or an automotive assembly line.    But I may see an interesting aspect of such a complex operation. 

Menards, for me, is akin to a new Kline - offering unique product the major players do not - only Menards is taking it at a much smaller and slower pace.

Allegheny,

I'm not frustrated by Menards. There's no reason to be. I no longer own any trains. Therefore, there's nothing I need or want from any of the manufactures. If they would make something I recommended that would be wonderful. If they don't I understand. There was a lot of fine ideas suggested in this post. I will just live with what they make.

Last edited by jim sutter

Outdoor stage with animated bluegrass band of 15 instrumentalists and 5 singers playing music to a crowd of people.

The outdoor stage has lights that change to the music coming from real speakers on the stage.

The source of the music could be provided through a computer playing files stored on a flash drive inserted into a USB 2.0 port.

You could have a summer version and a wintertime Christmas version.

Andrew

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.