Skip to main content

Jim1939, Menard's still has a number of buildings available on the web site at $63, $72, and in the $80s.   But perhaps they will come out with another smaller structure with fewer details at a lower price point.   I don't have room on my layout for ALL of these big buildings (but I worked in some: station, power plant, Morton Salt)!

I like the idea behind it, and I am sure someone will take this thing and make it amazing.

Things I would do with this, and am really tempted since it ties into my vocation.

#1 add a jobsite fence around the perimeter.

#2 add safety railings on each level, and add a Toe Kick (2x4 at floor level, keeps workers from kicking tools and debris off the open side and onto someones head below)

#3 add job trailer (are there any offerings?) or perhaps 2 shipping containers from the intermodal offerings.

#4 This site needs a CRANE!!!! (anyone have some good suggestions?

#5 The blue prints are a nice touch, but for me they are way too oversized. Those are around 48"x72" (clearly as tall as the 6' man). 36"x48" is the largest standard I know, and 30x42" is the most common I see these days. This probably won't bother most, but its what I see right way. 

#6, remove the slab the trucks are sitting on. Replace it with a gravel base. 

Those are things that jump out to me right away. I think I am more intrigued now, than ever by this building.

12 monkeys posted:

I like the idea behind it, and I am sure someone will take this thing and make it amazing.

Things I would do with this, and am really tempted since it ties into my vocation.

#1 add a jobsite fence around the perimeter.

#2 add safety railings on each level, and add a Toe Kick (2x4 at floor level, keeps workers from kicking tools and debris off the open side and onto someones head below)

#3 add job trailer (are there any offerings?) or perhaps 2 shipping containers from the intermodal offerings.

#4 This site needs a CRANE!!!! (anyone have some good suggestions?

#5 The blue prints are a nice touch, but for me they are way too oversized. Those are around 48"x72" (clearly as tall as the 6' man). 36"x48" is the largest standard I know, and 30x42" is the most common I see these days. This probably won't bother most, but its what I see right way. 

#6, remove the slab the trucks are sitting on. Replace it with a gravel base. 

Those are things that jump out to me right away. I think I am more intrigued now, than ever by this building.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Agree with what you said as it has so much possibilities. 
Gravel/fake dirt could also be spread on the base where the truck sit.

Garbage cans could be added (someone could make them with a 3-D printer.
The trucks and equipment  could also be weathered along with the workers by making them dirty, not as clean.

RonH posted:

T
Gravel/fake dirt could also be spread on the base where the truck sit.

Garbage cans could be added (someone could make them with a 3-D printer.
The trucks and equipment  could also be weathered along with the workers by making them dirty, not as clean.

You could leave it and gravel over it , but it <will> raise the surrounding grade too much for my preference. It just depends on the level of detail you do.

<Grammatical Edit>

Last edited by 12 monkeys

I don't know why at this point the poopoo'ers even surprise me. If this was offered by any other company, the price would be three times the Menards offering. It's obvious that not everyone models the 1950's or the 1980's or the 2018 era! You have a home improvement company that offers stuff for us, and no- they aren't going to make everyone happy every time, but I gotta say the criticism is getting rather stale. 

"There is no this or that-where is the portapotty?... sheesh. Am I missing something or was this posted in the two rail scale forum or maybe the HO forum? For the love- we run trains with THREE RAILS. I don't hear any locomotive engineers complaining that the three rails are insulting their livelihood...

Guess what- I'm not pulling the trigger on this purchase, it's not my cup of tea. But that's ok- I appreciate Menards offering the building! Thanks Mark & his crew, and thanks for not listening to the chronic poopoo'ers, (is that even a word? If not, I claim it.) Does any other company roll out this many new buildings annually? 

Rant over. Have a great day to the other 99%.

Hey- I just realized, I haven't heard anyone complain about the 11% rebates based on store visit...

rogerpete posted:

I don't know why at this point the poopoo'ers even surprise me. If this was offered by any other company, the price would be three times the Menards offering. It's obvious that not everyone models the 1950's or the 1980's or the 2018 era! You have a home improvement company that offers stuff for us, and no- they aren't going to make everyone happy every time, but I gotta say the criticism is getting rather stale. 

"There is no this or that-where is the portapotty?... sheesh. Am I missing something or was this posted in the two rail scale forum or maybe the HO forum? For the love- we run trains with THREE RAILS. I don't hear any locomotive engineers complaining that the three rails are insulting their livelihood...

Guess what- I'm not pulling the trigger on this purchase, it's not my cup of tea. But that's ok- I appreciate Menards offering the building! Thanks Mark & his crew, and thanks for not listening to the chronic poopoo'ers, (is that even a word? If not, I claim it.) Does any other company roll out this many new buildings annually? 

Hey- I just realized, I haven't heard anyone complain about the 11% rebates based on store visit...

As a Landscaper, I have to feed my own ego and post my disappointment with the lack of 1/48 scale grass & dirt. 

TShearer posted:
rogerpete posted:

As a Landscaper, I have to feed my own ego and post my disappointment with the lack of 1/48 scale grass & dirt. 

You're killing me Shearer.

Capture

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Capture
rogerpete posted:

This is great as offered and once you get it you can make it your own by adding addition detail or changing the timeline of the building with vehicles or workers. 
As Roger stated there is nothing offered anywhere else on this type of construction building for this price.

Thank you Menards for what you do!

Mine should be up and running Thursday. I do like all the pro and con comments, but each to their own. I do like the helpful ideas on how to dress the new building, weather the trucks, gravel on the base, and a fence around it, and maybe some construction lights along with the construction crane Menards brought out a while back.... we will see soon.. Mayor Bob of Menardsville.. LOL...

cabinet Bob posted:
mike g. posted:

Just one question Bob, was the property for the new building bought or was it took for lack of taxes being paid?

Those questions must be  answered  by the city administrator . If you need to know, call BR549  collect.. LOL..

Hey there Dad, I tried and it says no longer in service since 1970. LOL

fisch330 posted:

Too bad!  Got to have something that would have been around in 1950 in order for me to be interested.  Wonder if that building under construction look could be adapted to 1950?  Have to take a look at one when it hits the stores.  I do like the fact that it has a covered location for track and car.  Saves space.

Paul Fischer

Lets see, remove the Trucks and put older ones there. Cover the tampa tower sign with something else to your liking. ( maybe "office spaces available soon, Now leasing" )  There millions of things you could do. ( by the way I'm looking for 50's-early 70's stuff to for my layouts) 

GLENN L. TAYLOR posted:

Construction under way.

Absolutely stunning Glenn! 

It's giving me ideas as I must find a place for this on my layout.  With South Florida constantly under construction and cranes and towers a constant sight, it would it perfect.

I know several folks want Menards to produce some 1950's stuff, but as a person who's more interested in more modern and current displays I'm happy that the more current times are finally getting some love - wouldn't mind seeing an O Gauge modern strip retail stucco structure   - which is why I initially went to N Scale. It seems to me that the majority of model railroad items in most scales are to take the modeler back to 1955 and the like.  I'm 52, and I'm not interested in going to back to 1955.  Yes for 1975, 1985, 1995 and so on.  Our hobby is wide ranging and to each their own.

Last edited by Amfleet25124

I just bought Tampa Towers, too.  When I first saw this online I thought I could build it myself.  But there's a lot of value with the vehicles and people as Menards states -- don't think I could build it cheaper -- and I can spend my time on the other things I need to build.  As far as an elevator, I stayed across the street from a hotel in downtown Toledo (Seagate) (see photo) they were going to demolish -- but then discovered during the tear down that the structure was sound enough to rebuild.  Guess what?  No elevator.  Looks a lot like Tampa towers.  Nevertheless, I may try to build one like Glenn's here.  Nice job.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Seagate hotel Toledo: No elevators anywhere

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.