Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi Jerry. a few guys have cut Super O switches, which have an O-36 diameter center rail to center rail and have successfully negotiated O-72 engines through them. It seems a smaller arc does not cause the larger trains to derail. The frogs are basically straight so placing a straight section onto the “curved” frog branch will work for some/most? trains, (sorry do not have a list), obviously this takes some trial and error. If you have the time, patience and some mechanically know how go for it, regards Rob

Super+O+072+1

Super+O+072+1

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Super+O+072+1: crossover

https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/t...-lionel-022-switches

I think you still have to think about some limitations on some engines.

The angle for the tighter curve is still there unless you replace the inside curve rail, and lengthen the moving points turn rail (outside curve).

Coupler swing, flange limits, and articulation radius limits may cause binding or ride up if the tighter arc exists at all, no matter how brief.

If its just for looks, or the space, hack away! It will look great.

But if your running a big loco, with big requirements you might want to check your motive rosters limits closely, well in advance.

Jerry the first thing I would do is cut a O-31 curved track to the size of the finished cut switch. Place several other track similar to what is on the layout next to the shorten curved track and run your O-72 equipment through them. At least you can can determine in a short period of time if they will run through the shorten curve.

Looking at the posted photos and link to the yard switches, I think it is a great idea for overall look, however for continually running larger equipment through the curve section at operating speed I would opt for an O-72 switch, the finished length and curve of the arc looks to tight, regards Rob

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.