Skip to main content

i wanted to put in a crossover on my layout.  I connected the switches curve side to curve side, no track between the inside ends.  But one of the switches chattered until I put a 6” piece between them.  The instructions on the switches don’t mention how to handle a crossover.  What I ended up with is the center steel track pin and the 2 fiber pins on the outer rails.  Any advice ?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The two fiber pins on the curved rails is correct. I would put in out side rail connections ahead of the switches between the parallel tracks to be sure the two insulating pins are not causing other problems. Make sure you have the fiber pins in the correct locations on the straight rails. You might try it without controllers first to see if the switches are working properly.

@Pat K posted:

... connected the switches curve side to curve side, no track between the inside ends..  ...I ended up with is the center steel track pin and the 2 fiber pins on the outer rails...

The two fiber pins on the curved rails is correct... Make sure you have the fiber pins in the correct locations on the straight rails...

All correct. Fiber Pins at red for the green trigger rails. Steel pins at yellow. Blue jumper between center posts for common/outside rail power.

022 Cross Jumper Pin Placement Same Block

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 022 Cross Jumper Pin Placement Same Block
Last edited by ADCX Rob
@Pat K posted:

Thank you...  I did not know of the jumper.  Can you tell me where you learned that?  About the jumper?

I realized as a pre-teen while improving my layout building skills and working with different track arrangements that no common/ground power would pass through a junction like this because of the fiber pins and insulated trigger rails. Jumpers to the other loop with a pair of lockons would work, but I just took a shortcut and used the wiring/circuitry native to the switch to duplicate the function of the lockon.

Although it's not obvious, the 022 switches have 5 power connections to use to your benefit. The three binding posts are obvious, the center post serving the same function as Lockon clip #2. The fixed voltage slot has two connections available when used with a common DC type coaxial barrel connector - the tip, like the original 711-151 plug, provides power to the switch bulb & mechanism, and the sleeve serving the same function as Lockon clip #1 for center rail power.

@gftiv posted:

I would not use the ground terminals of the switches to connect the grounds together. I would use two lock ons. If you get a short on one loop, the current may pass thru the switch ground causing damage to the switch wiring. It happens to the MTH Std Gauge switches with regularity.

Compare the wiring of traditional(non-chinese) 022 switches to MTH construction and you will see this is not an issue.

Thanks that worked like a charm.  The jumper is the yellow wire.  My table is a bit of a mess right now, but I’m screwing down the track now.  That problem really threw me for a loop.

can I ask another question.  If I want to make the inside loop it’s own block, so I can run trains on the inner and outer loop, where do I place my fiber pin on the center rail?  I’m thinking I would place it right against that inside switch, ditto on the other crossover not in the photo?

Attachments

Images (1)
  • crossover: Jumper wire

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.