Skip to main content

@Landsteiner posted:

Assuming Menard's will begin producing sets of their own, what are the implications?  Loco for $150, four freight cars for $80, track and power supply for around $20.  $250 for a set, perhaps?  About what most LionChief sets go for, give or take, maybe a bit less expensive. About 10 times the price of a postwar set, but incomes are much more than 10 times higher, inflation adjusted, today.  So still not a poor person's hobby, but maybe not quite as much the rich person's hobby as in 1955.

I've been thinking about this. The obvious direction is a train set.  So, yeah, what would the target price be - $199.99? 249.99?  (this being the price after the 11% rebate) I think I'd differ with you regarding cars, probably 3 cars, one of which being a caboose.  It's about keeping the price reasonable.  I'm curious if we'll see a train set this year in time for Christmas.  I'm guessing Menards is cutting it pretty close to get this accomplished.  Sets need to be at stores, IMO, no later than Thanksgiving or the first week of Dec.  Feedback from the lucky 200, is cut off after 30 days.  That gives time to make adjustments, etc. 

Armchair marketing? (guilty )

Steve

@Jim R. posted:

Pictures and info is in the thread. Not hard to find.

I'm sure they are. But the activity in this thread is causing it to grow very fast. So fast, I haven't devoted the time it would take to read each and every post as I only have a passing interest. Because of the onslaught of notifications of replies to my Inbox this thread is generating, as soon as I post this response to you, I'm unsubscribing.

I hope Menards first engine effort works out and a new player will be on the field for 3-rail engines.

Andre

Last edited by laming
@laming posted:

I haven't checked this thread in a while, so this question may already been asked/answered.

I'm curious: How does the new Menards F unit compare in SIZE to the Lionel PW F3?

Andre

@Jim R. posted:

Pictures and info is in the thread. Not hard to find.

About an inch longer. (4 words)

"Pictures and info is in the thread.  Not hard to find." (11 words)

Seems like it took more effort NOT to answer his question.

John

Last edited by Craftech
@BNSF-Matt posted:

Good morning, below is the link to my review on the Menards engine. It's about 36 minutes long so I tried to cover everything I could which includes the box opening, review on the unit itself, and almost 4 minutes of running time. If there is something I didn't cover that you want answered then please leave a comment on my YT page, as this thread moves too fast for me to keep filtering through it.

Superb review Matt. Thanks for doing this/ You have a great layout and paired with those passenger cars, this little engine looks pretty good to me.  The metallic trucks even match the cars. If my kids were still small, I would purchase one in a heartbeat and let them go to town with this. Kids are going to love it! Way to go Menards, but don't stop now.

Superb review Matt. Thanks for doing this/ You have a great layout and paired with those passenger cars, this little engine looks pretty good to me.  The metallic trucks even match the cars. If my kids were still small, I would purchase one in a heartbeat and let them go to town with this. Kids are going to love it! Way to go Menards, but don't stop now.

Thank you Strap! I'm glad you enjoyed it and thanks for watching.

Received mine this morning and only had enough time to un-box it before work.  Was not going to take any photos yet, but when I picked it up after removing it from the packaging the shell came off.  I guess they forgot to insert the screws that hold the shell on.  On the positive side though, I could not help but take a few photos with the shell off:IMG_6261IMG_6260IMG_6262IMG_6259IMG_6258IMG_6257

Attachments

Images (6)
  • IMG_6261
  • IMG_6260
  • IMG_6262
  • IMG_6259
  • IMG_6258
  • IMG_6257
@Craftech posted:

About an inch longer. (4 words)

"Pictures and info is in the thread.  Not hard to find." (11 words)

Seems like it took more effort NOT to answer his question.

John

The point I was making was that he might like to see the picture in this thread that showed the difference. That’s worth a thousand words. I wasn’t maligning Lamer, since I know this thread is long.

I wanted to see the photo again myself, so I paged through the thread. It took me less than a minute to find.

I should have mentioned where it was. (Page 6)

@Jim R. posted:

The point I was making was that he might like to see the picture in this thread that showed the difference. That’s worth a thousand words. I wasn’t maligning Lamer, since I know this thread is long.

I wanted to see the photo again myself, so I paged through the thread. It took me less than a minute to find.

I should have mentioned where it was. (Page 6)

OK.  He and I misunderstood.

John

Last edited by Craftech
@laming posted:

I'm sure they are. But the activity in this thread is causing it to grow very fast. So fast, I haven't devoted the time it would take to read each and every post as I only have a passing interest. Because of the onslaught of notifications of replies to my Inbox this thread is generating, as soon as I post this response to you, I'm unsubscribing.

I hope Menards first engine effort works out and a new player will be on the field for 3-rail engines.

Andre

Sorry for the short reply. I was trying to catch up on this thread and had just scrolled through the entire thread to view the picture someone had posted. It didn’t take me long. It was on page 6, if you want to see it. (CORRECTION: Pages 5 and 6.)

Last edited by Jim R.
@vettekid68 posted:

Received mine this morning and only had enough time to un-box it before work.  Was not going to take any photos yet, but when I picked it up after removing it from the packaging the shell came off.  I guess they forgot to insert the screws that hold the shell on.  On the positive side though, I could not help but take a few photos with the shell off:IMG_6261IMG_6259

Nice to finally see the guts.  No real surprises here.

Rusty

@vettekid68 posted:

Received mine this morning and only had enough time to un-box it before work.  Was not going to take any photos yet, but when I picked it up after removing it from the packaging the shell came off.  I guess they forgot to insert the screws that hold the shell on.

OOPS forgot the screws, that inspires confidence!

And nit picking, noticed all the same color plugs and sockets on board, maybe they are numbered and not visible, but sure could lead to mixup when re-installing board.

Suppose number boards were red to simulate dim incandescent bulbs.  Would not be hard to install white LEDs, toned down with orange paint, for number boards if red lighting bugs a modeler (though might have to re-adjust resistors for right low brightness).  Maybe Menards will change number board LEDs in next run?

My two cents. Might as well join the nit picking fray.

@vettekid68 posted:

Received mine this morning and only had enough time to un-box it before work.  Was not going to take any photos yet, but when I picked it up after removing it from the packaging the shell came off.  I guess they forgot to insert the screws that hold the shell on.  On the positive side though, I could not help but take a few photos with the shell off:IMG_6258

That plastic gearing looks like it could use a small dab of grease, no?

Last edited by Strap Hanger

With Menards selling freight cars for around $20 and locos for, let's speculate,  $150-200 and Lionel LionChief locos going for about $200, a Thomas LionChief set for around $150-200,  one could still afford trains even as a completely unsuccessful surgeon .

Not a Trainworx custom layout, but maybe a few loops of tinplate track, a few buildings or operating accessories, a few turnouts,  and a 4 x8 or 5 x 9 layout.  A few hundred bucks, not much more than a video game console and much less than an iPhone.   Let's try not to scare newbies too much .

@vettekid68 posted:

Received mine this morning and only had enough time to un-box it before work.  Was not going to take any photos yet, but when I picked it up after removing it from the packaging the shell came off.  I guess they forgot to insert the screws that hold the shell on.  On the positive side though, I could not help but take a few photos with the shell off:IMG_6261IMG_6260IMG_6262IMG_6259IMG_6258IMG_6257

Seems to be pretty standard starter O gauge diesel construction. Lack of flywheel, self locking gear train, and no cruise/speed control explain the sudden start/stops.

@rdg_fan posted:

Since it is a FP7, count me in for 2 Reading RR units if they are made. I can have the electronics upgraded.

@TM Terry posted:

I suppose I just don't get the marketing. This wonderful offering clearly is NOT an EMD F3.

But it is a very nice model of an EMD FP7, so why not market it as such?

Two more in the FP7 column.

Hopefully, Menards will change the product label.  It's potentially the least expensive change that can be made.

Rusty

@RSJB18 posted:

Adding a bypass of the wireless controls for conventional operation shouldn't be a budget buster. A worth while add IMHO.

My definition of fully functional conventional control includes the following:

*Speed varies with AC voltage

*Power break cycles direction F-N-R-N

*DC offsets activate whistle/horn and bell

Optionally:

*Patterned DC offsets activate crew talk

Simply bypassing the electronics and going through a rectifier for forward only operation misses the mark.

Last edited by bmoran4
@bmoran4 posted:

My definition of fully functional conventional control includes the following:

*Speed varies with AC voltage

*Power break cycles direction F-N-R-N

*DC offsets activate whistle/horn and bell

Optionally:

*Patterned DC offsets activate crew talk

Simply bypassing the electronics and going through a rectifier for forward only operation misses the mark.

@Ron_S posted:

@RSJB18

I agree and very inexpensive to add in.

yes- fully functional conventional operation would be good.

@Craftech posted:

Just got mine.  Only have a conventional setup with a KW.  How do you think I should test this?

DC power pack?

Accessory terminals?

Variable AC turned up all the way?

Thanks,

John

1.  Turned up the track voltage on my tubular track layout (measured with an AC voltmeter) with KW throttle till it read 18v center to outside rail.

2.  Placed engine on track and plugged in KW.  Engine started.

3.  Turned on remote.  Light came on, sound level adjusted with remote volume control.

4.  Moved forward no problem,  ran a few feet, and then it tripped the circuit breaker I have in line with rails.  The breaker is rated at 7.5A (Sensata breaker).

5.  Disconnected everything except power to a single lockon.  Same thing after a few feet.

6.  Turned voltage down to around 16v.  Tripped the breaker after short run again.

7.  Connected different accessory terminals to track, but I could not get a reading on my voltmeter at the track so I was afraid to try the engine that way.   I have never connected the accessory terminals to the track before anyway.

8.  Next step is to make a circle with some Menards tubular track, connect power to it,  and try it again.  If that doesn't work I will get an 18v DC power supply and try that on my tubular track.  Positive to center rail, negative to one of the outside rails.\

John

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.