Skip to main content

Now is the time to save BIG on Train Stuff from Menards during our 11% rebate sale! Most of our train products are only available online but you can still get a rebate for them!

If you aren’t familiar with our rebate program, here’s how it works:

1. Make a purchase from any Menards store or www.menards.com

2. Pick up a rebate redemption certificate or print one from the online rebate center

3. Mail in the certificate along with the rebate receipt. For online purchases, this can be found as a PDF attached to your order confirmation email.

4. Receive your Menards merchandise credit check in the mail (Please allow 6-8 weeks for processing)

Merchandise credit checks can be used in any of our stores. They are not usable online but we don’t mind if you trade, sell or transfer them. If you don’t live near any of our stores, stop in and visit us when you visit in the midwest! MCC’s never expire or lose their value, so collect them as long as you like and redeem them when you can!

Click here to shop now!

_Collectables Banner 07.19

In case you missed it, this week’s email is attached below. If you want to get these emails in your inbox, click here to sign up!

Thank you,

Mark the Menards Train Guy

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 11% Rebate Banner
Files (1)
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Okay Mark,the only thing Menard's  has done to annoy me is this rebate nonsense which seems unnecessarily  complex and actually penalizes those of us (and i'm assuming it's quite a few) who don't live anywhere near a Menard's store, but as I do,purchase quite a few of your train products. I would much rather see an instant 5 or 10%off a total order of say 150.00 or more for instance. Neat,sweet and encourages purchases of more than one item and is fair to train stuff buyers across the country. After all I assume the object of this retail train enterprise is to attract as many people as possible!  I love the products ,I love the price and quality and the customer service as I have said on this forum! The price rebate deal not so much! Just sayin! Mark,I think we're having our first spat! We'll get through it!

Mark The Menards Train Guy,

I think your company would be better served if your offered a 11% discount on all sales. Forget that walk in stipulation. Your company is trying to build a customer base for your O Gauge trains. A lot of your prospective customers don't live near any of your stores. I suggest you treat everyone the same. It would be better for your company. 

Last edited by jim sutter
Originally Posted by gunrunnerjohn:

I have to say, I'm somewhat disappointed that you can't use them on-line.  I just about jumped on some cars I was eying, then read the fine print and noticed that I couldn't actually use the rebate.  I've never seen a Menards store in person, and being in SE-PA, I doubt I'll be driving to the closest one in Ohio anytime soon.

The link to the coupon information on their website says that the coupon does apply to online purchases. 

http://www.menards.com/main/c-13180.htm

You just print the form and send it in with a copy of your online receipt.

I do agree though that an instant discount would be much more attractive that a mail-in rebate. That would probably attract more sales. But at least the 11% rebate applies to online purchases. So one does not need to drive to a store.

As I understand it you can earn the rebate for online purchases but the coupon cannot be used online but has to be used in store. So the issue is this really only benefits people who live close enough to a Menard's store to make redemption feasible leaving me feeling like the kid who didn't get picked for the team because he lives in the wrong neighborhood!!
Originally Posted by TrainingDave:
Originally Posted by gunrunnerjohn:

The link to the coupon information on their website says that the coupon does apply to online purchases. 

http://www.menards.com/main/c-13180.htm

Ummmm...  All that means you can get the rebate for an online purchase, but can't use it FOR an online purchase:

You guys forget the rebate program overall is designed to drive traffic into the store (where one is likely to make additional impulse purchases,) not away from it.

I'm pretty sure model railroad sales are a drop in the bucket for Menards.

And no, I don't work for Menards...

Rusty

Last edited by Rusty Traque

Mark,

May not be a quick fix but ask your IT/web site people what it would take to use the 10 digits of the bar code on the rebate credit check and enter it as the Promotional Code (already provided for on your shopping cart).  That bar code is the one scanned at check out in the store and applied to the sale before payment.  From a security standpoint, a verification field for the zip code the rebate was mailed to could be entered or I see you just added to the customer profile a security question.  You could use the security question to verify that the rebate is being used by the customer it was sent to.

This could be of benefit to all potential customers who do not live near a store, not just those on the OGRF.

Thanks!

Larry

Originally Posted by Rusty Traque:

You guys forget the rebate program overall is designed to drive traffic into the store (where one is likely to make additional impulse purchases,) not away from it.

I'm pretty sure model railroad sales are a drop in the bucket for Menards.

And no, I don't work for Menards...

Rusty

I get that Rusty, but why mail it to me in that case as I'm in a state that has no Menards stores.

Menards is getting mileage from the train sales in this forum, it's the talk of the town.

Rusty,

I am sure that Menards is interested in getting people into the store for the "impulse buy" but the way I have always looked at their rebate program is that rather than send you a bank gift card or check that you could use anywhere, they want to make sure that they are the ones who get the money back that they send you.  I would think that adding the ability to use a rebate for an online purchase could accomplish both.  Anyone been on any other online retailer where you "stumbled" across something you didn't go there to order and ended up putting it into your cart?

Larry 

Let's say you were visiting your cousin in Texas and you stopped for a bite to eat. When you go to pay, the restaurant gives you a coupon that can only be redeemed at that location. The restaurant is unaware that you are just visiting. The fact is they give coupons to everyone. You can't use the coupon, would you call that a scam?

You end up giving your coupon to your cousin because he frequents the establishment. He is grateful and so is the restaurant because they might potentially make another sale.

The moral of the story is, there are plenty of forum members that would LOVE to use the rebate check that you receive. Go ahead and sell them, trade them or just give them away and make a friend! I think we all can agree that with or without a rebate, our prices are unbeatable. Rebates are just the icing on the cake!

The restaurant doesn't offer mail order all we are saying is we get penalized for living out of your area and in your example I would give it to my cousin but still your trying to compare apples with oranges here. Complete different story I wouldn't call it a scam I would call it unfair to your loyal customers who live outside your area thou.   

Originally Posted by rtraincollector:

The restaurant doesn't offer mail order all we are saying is we get penalized for living out of your area and in your example I would give it to my cousin but still your trying to compare apples with oranges here. Complete different story I wouldn't call it a scam I would call it unfair to your loyal customers who live outside your area thou.   

Bill,

I see what you are saying it is not exactly the same. However, people often overlook that we are a home improvement store. The only reason we sell trains is because we are passionate about them and the hobby. The vast majority of our business is generated by the stores, without whom we would not be able to produce trains at all.

-Mark the Menards Train Guy 

Last edited by Menards
Mark,I still think a straight 5 or 10% discount promotion at time of purchase is the way to reach everyone! It could be based on total order etc. That being said the products are great for the money, rebate or no rebate, I have respect for the way Menard's does business and I have respect for you and the way you deal with problems so i'm good! I will continue to buy train stuff from you and look forward to the new offerings! I should mention though that tonight I am starting a prayer group that prays Menard's builds a store in the Southern Tier of New York!

I recently purchased some buildings from Menards on the last 11% rebate sale they had over a month ago. My problem with it is the red tape of having to apply for the rebate, making sure you have all the I's dotted and T's crossed, all the paperwork printed out and attached, the form filled out properly, get it in on time (not really that much leeway here) before the submission date expires and then, and then, wait SIX WEEKS for a rebate that can only be used in-store, which is a two hour round trip for me. So, needless to say I'm not that excited about going thru all that the second time around. Don't get me wrong, I love their O Gauge buildings, but this is 2015 and we still filling out rebate forms and waiting SIX WEEKS for them? Seriously, Menards needs to go to INSTANT REBATES and their sales will pick up for guys who don't have a store in the area. And while they're at it, try ON-LINE instant rebates as well. What a novel idea in this day and age. 

Last edited by Modelrailroader
Originally Posted by Menards:

However, people often overlook that we are a home improvement store. The only reason we sell trains is because we are passionate about them and the hobby. The vast majority of our business is generated by the stores, without whom we would not be able to produce trains at all.

I believe this pretty much indicates "case closed."

After all, it's Menard's business, they can run it how they like.

Rusty

Originally Posted by banjoflyer:

The way I see it is if the rebate offer offends you because you can't avail yourself of it's benefit then don't apply for the rebate in the first place.

It is not automatic. You have to physically make an effort to get the rebate.

If the 11% discount is the swaying factor for you to make a purchase then you need to again compare the stock prices for the Menards merchandise to other vendors similar items.

I'm lucky...I have a Menards store nearby. I can use the rebate. So what.

I don't live near Charles Ro store and can't avail myself of their walk-in specials that they occasionally run.

That doesn't make me not buy from Charles Ro.

Perhaps in the future Menards rebate policy will change and they'll allow online redemption for their rebates. Right now they don't.

So if you choose to apply for the rebate don't forget you can give, trade or sell them to someone who can use them.

From the original post....

"Merchandise credit checks can be used in any of our stores. They are not usable online but we don’t mind if you trade, sell or transfer them."

Mark

We should make this a "Sticky" note on the top of the forum.   Every time Menard's does this, the same people spend an entire thread whining about it 

Sounds like whining to me.
MENARDS is offering quality train cars and accessories at great prices and people still aren't happy! You've got to be kidding?  Threatining to take your buisness to Home Depot?!? Really??
Do you think for a second MENARDS needs your train dollars? This is a sideline experiment from someone in the company who likes trains. They could stop tomorrow and not see a blip in the bottom line. Maybe they should stop on line train sales and make their sales in store only. That would solve the problem.

I think this promotion is really meant to get people in the stores.  Not  being able to use the discount is a bummer.   If you think about it, we all are actually getting a discount from Menards as a result of their sponsorship of the forum.

Anyhow the way I look at it, if this is the worst thing to happen to me this week then I am doing just great.

Ed

Mark,

Thanks for producing another great O gauge item! I model the modern era and I have been waiting for years to get a modern ambulance for my layout. The best part about your offering is that in addition to being modern it is a Chicago paint scheme which is exactly what I wanted to go with my other modern Chicago fire and police. But wait, it also has working lights!!! This is AWESOME and a real home run in my book. I just ordered three.

THANKS!!!

I have issues with even receiving the rebate checks in the mail. I bought the Menards hobby shop shortly after it came out. Sent in the paper work, but still waiting on the check. That's just one time off the top of my head. I'm sure this thread isn't the first time Menards has heard issues with the "rebate" program. Is a promotion that causes your customers any degree of annoyance really a good thing?

Originally Posted by RD:
Sounds like whining to me.
MENARDS is offering quality train cars and accessories at great prices and people still aren't happy! You've got to be kidding?  Threatining to take your buisness to Home Depot?!? Really??
Do you think for a second MENARDS needs your train dollars? This is a sideline experiment from someone in the company who likes trains. They could stop tomorrow and not see a blip in the bottom line. Maybe they should stop on line train sales and make their sales in store only. That would solve the problem.

Yep, you pretty much nailed it. One thing for certain, the $20 boxcars are good way to build your rolling stock fleet for folks that can't justify the $40 to $60 boxcars from the other manufactures. Gold Stars for Menards for filling in that niche.

Bill T.

Maybe this just proves that there is no way to make everyone happy.  There is a whole lot more to like about this program that dislike.  Great new products at prices that everyone asks for and we complain about their rebate program?  New products released every week to boot.  Sponsoring the website and advertising in the magazine, how many others do all this?  Providing an online contact in Mark to spark interest and answer our questions and concerns.  Our cup runneth over in my opinion.

Art

Originally Posted by Sam Jumper:

I bought the Menards hobby shop shortly after it came out. Sent in the paper work, but still waiting on the check.

Sam,

Check out the rebates page of menards.com. Step 4 allows you to track rebates you have submitted. If a rebate shows a status of "issued" and you have not received the merchandise credit check shortly after, use the who to contact button. They can assist you further from there.

Last edited by Menards

Just to add a tiny bit Just because the 11% discount won't do me any good doesn't mean I won't purchase in the future either just explaining my feeling as other say if you would give say a 5 or 10 percent discount on orders at check out say like 5% up to $75 and anything over $75 10% have where they enter a code and only one code can be used. Just some idea. I know some up in your area that use your stores for Hardware and if you ever decide to move into the South Carolina area I sure would give you my Attention and most likely my business. 

It's interesting to note the 1 "like" on my post was from Mark at Menards, thanks Mark, appreciate it. For those of you old guys on menopause that think constructive criticism in whining don't be such a stick in the mud. I clearly mentioned I do like their products, have so many of their buildings I've lost track; and I intend on buying more of them. My point was the vast majority of the public hate rebates (unless they are instant) and don't consider them when purchasing because of the hassle and wait. However, many customers will conclude a purchase when enticed by instant discounts, rather than hold off. The current 11% off is no longer enough pull for me, I'd rather wait till I see something on sale and not have the hassle. Mark, your products are great, I absolutely love my Menards buildings and will be purchasing more in the future. Thanks for providing great products at reasonable prices for us model railroaders. 

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.