Skip to main content

6 beautiful hopper cars for one low price! Only $99.94!

This Hopper Car Super will be a beautiful new addition for your train collection. Included in this set is 1 hopper car of each of the following road names: Milwaukee Road, Santa Fe, Pennsylvania, Alaska, Chicago & North Western and Great Northern. Each hopper car features realistic details including a chassis with premium metal trucks and operating couplers. Each car also features stunning paint schemes, detailed logos and simulated coal. SKU# 279-3869

Click here to shop now!

Plus, now through Saturday, July 30, 2016, get an 11% rebate! That makes these Hopper Cars under $15 each!

This week’s email will be deploying this afternoon but it is also shown below. If you want to get these emails in your inbox, click here to sign up!

Thank you,
Mark the Menards Train Guy

Last edited by Menards
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

BobbyD posted:

Never heard that before, what would cause them to short? They have no electrical pick-up.

rtraincollector posted:

I'll say this if it was true you would be seeing it all over the place in here and they would be addressing it. Like BobbyD what would cause it?

What could cause it is narrow wheel gauge or thick wheel profiles, possibly shorting the third rail to the running rails when wheels go through the curved leg and switch frog. But sometimes the switch design is a contributing factor.

The Menard's cars look like really good value but I would be interested to know the dimensions of the cars, whether they are scale or "traditional" size. The web site doesn't have that info for hoppers?

Last edited by Ace
Ace posted:

The Menard's cars look like really good value but I would be interested to know the dimensions of the cars, whether they are scale or "traditional" size. The web site doesn't have that info for hoppers?

Good Morning,

Here are the approximate dimensions of the hopper cars. I hope this helps!

10-3/4"L x 2-1/8"W x 3-1/4"H. In total, the car is 12" long (coupler to coupler).

-Mark the Menards Train Guy

I wish that specific terminology would be used by all manufacturers regarding true scale.  I'm always concerned about what size I'm going to get.  The term "standard" O threw me for a loop be cause to me "standard" means 1/48.  Well to Lionel it doesn't.  "Traditional" and "standard" mean UNDERSIZED for scale.

Worse, I bought some O reproduction cars believing that they would be "Traditional" and "standard".  They are closer to S scale than O scale.

My final complaint (today :-)) is I hate it when someone describes a car's scale in relationship to gauge.  I've heard many say: "Oh that's O27."  No it's not!  The ONLY thing O27 means is a diameter of a O27 diameter curve.  Scale and gauge are NOT NOT NOT the same thing!!!!

OK, I'm over it. 

Ace posted:
rogerpete posted:

again...

here is a video showing K-line, lionel & menards hoppers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21rn6FYSfWc

Thanks for the video, which clearly shows that the Menards hopper is much larger than "traditional " items. Close to scale in most respects?

The Menards/Williams/Lionel hopper is based off of an N&W covered hopper prototype and is fairly close to scale dimensions:

N&W Covered Hopper

While there may be some examples of the car out there with portions of the roof removed for M of W service, the prototype never was a coal hopper. 

Lionel realized long ago that by leaving the roof off, they could offer "another type" of car with no new expense involved.  Other companies have simply followed what Lionel did.

Rusty

Attachments

Images (1)
  • N&W Covered Hopper
Last edited by Rusty Traque

The video in question is misleading in demonstrating size differences between Menards/K-Line/Lionel hoppers, since  you can perform this comparison with the same hoppers entirely within Lionel's or WBB's product line.

The new Menards' hopper is a clone of the Lionel postwar "quad" hopper, just like the WBB version.

While it is based on a PRR prototype and is the largest of the traditional-size hoppers (you can get it to scrape the signal housing on an MPC 027 manual switch), it is by no means "scale" proportioned or detailed.

---PCJ

RailRide posted:

The video in question is misleading in demonstrating size differences between Menards/K-Line/Lionel hoppers, since  you can perform this comparison with the same hoppers entirely within Lionel's or WBB's product line.

The new Menards' hopper is a clone of the Lionel postwar "quad" hopper, just like the WBB version.

While it is based on a PRR prototype and is the largest of the traditional-size hoppers (you can get it to scrape the signal housing on an MPC 027 manual switch), it is by no means "scale" proportioned or detailed.

---PCJ

Actually, the Pennsy car was a 3-bay covered hopper:

Pennsy H30

Rusty

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Pennsy H30

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.