Skip to main content

Does anyone have experience running cars requiring 072 curves running through 060 or 054 switches? Im curious and thinking that the short distance of the curve in the switch may not affect the overall tracking of the longer cars.  If a 072 is immediately connected after the switch, than that would compensate for it.  I have the atlas CZ cars and have a video on youtube demonstrating them on 072 vs 063 on atlas track.  But this is over multiple sections (3 or 4).  

Am i allows to link to youtube videos?

If my post is confusing, Im sorry and will try to elaborate more.

Thanks

Keith "Pugsly" Buenzow (please call me Pugs, 20 year nickname that everyone besides my wife and parents call me.  Even my kids tell there friends my name is Pugs or Pugsly.)

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Keith Buenzow posted:

...  thinking that the short distance of the curve in the switch may not affect the overall tracking of the longer cars.  If a 072 is immediately connected after the switch, than that would compensate for it.  I have the atlas CZ cars and have a video on youtube demonstrating them on 072 vs 063 on atlas track.  But this is over multiple sections (3 or 4).   

Keith "Pugsly" Buenzow

I would agree with that idea, but the best test is to try it out with your own equipment and look closely to see if any parts are close to binding. O72 curves aren't really that wide for the longer passenger cars for appearances sake, but I assume your question is mainly regarding tracking ability.

Other factors to consider are: how long is the total curve that the train is on, how long and heavy is the train, is there a grade, how smooth is operation over the switch with a complete train (possible stringlining or picking the points) ... best to do actual tests if you are considering building a certain track arrangement.

Last edited by Ace

Add Reply

The Track Planning and Layout Design Forum is sponsored by

AN OGR FORUM CHARTER SPONSOR

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.