Skip to main content

cabinet Bob posted:

Just goes to show us, there is no perfect world when it comes to releases .MIKE G. ,,I told you so we should have gone to the dock when we were in town...LOL.. my three other sons may have bought them all up...time will tell.....

Your right! Could have had a truck load, but no now there will be non for us as Paul and Play Trains already have them as they probably live right next door to Menards! Karma will get them! LOL

mike g. posted:

Nick, I totally understand, there are a few things I passed on. But it sure is nice that Menards is spreading the wealth for everyone to enjoy something! If I can get one of these then I will have to think about building a Santa Fa train to go with my BN and BNSF trains!

I think Menards is doing a great job with their offerings.  Who knows, maybe one day they'll make us east coast fans happy with some Western Maryland & some B&O.  Actually they could make a whole bunch of folks happy from coast to coast with a BREWERY.

Last edited by wild mary

There have been articles that claim the traditional trains still outsell the scale ones. However, the argument has also been made many times about how the scale train items are now significantly more popular than the so-called traditional items. The foregoing 8 pages on this thread certainly seem to belie the later argument.

Here we see all these folks practically wetting their pants in anticipation of yet another traditional car; this time it is one of the lowest forms of "scale," essentially a replica of one of the tiniest, non-scale cabooses every made by Lionel, and in a make-believe paint scheme to boot. All this certainly seems to indicate that traditional toy trains are alive and doing well.

Why more of these people aren't gobbling up ubiquitous, inexpensive MPC and later Lionel cars, yet get so excited about Menards cars, remains a bit of a mystery, but that's another story. 

Last edited by breezinup
breezinup posted:

There have been articles that claim the traditional trains still outsell the scale ones. However, the argument has also been made many times about how the scale train items are now significantly more popular than the so-called traditional items. The foregoing 8 pages on this thread certainly seem to belie the later argument.

Here we see all these folks practically wetting their pants in anticipation of yet another traditional car; this time it is one of the lowest forms of "scale," essentially a replica of one of the tiniest, non-scale cabooses every made by Lionel, and in a make-believe paint scheme to boot. All this certainly seems to indicate that traditional toy trains are alive and doing well.

Why more of these people aren't gobbling up ubiquitous, inexpensive MPC and later Lionel cars, yet get so excited about Menards cars, remains a bit of a mystery, but that's another story. 

Fair enough - but the cabooses are one of the few "toyish" products in their line - and not representative of the product line as a whole.

And - Im gobbing up as much MPC, Rugged Rails, etc as I can find - as long as it's under 10 bucks!

For me it is "to each their own".  Many of the senior citizens on this forum seem to have a lot of disposable income and a deep desire to collect and run museum piece quality items and are more than willing to pay that dollar to do so. I say more power to you. But there is just as many of us, or more, who are not, and we do not seem to be as vocal when it comes to our toy trains not being anything other than that - toys. We buy and run what we like, prototypical or not, just as it was 50 to 70 years ago. Menards has provided an outlet for those like me who have pockets that have bottoms to them. I also have grandkids and I see a greater proportion of that income that I am willingly to let go spending on them. For a fact, my grandkids will be here after I am gone, probably not the trains.

As for the latest hype on the Menards release, the hype came from posters on the forum, not from Menards. They did just as they always do and that is give hints leading up to the release. Many hyped in good humor. There are a few that have dominated the discussion on the release, others just piped in, wishing and hoping for what they would want. As hard as it is for some to believe, whether a item is fanciful or real makes little difference if we like it, we buy it. That is all of the criteria we need.

Rick

Last edited by Ranger Rick

Your spot on Rick !!  As a collector  of Menards products, I like the colors, different ideas Mark has come up with and the price. Will they be worth a lot of money down the road, I don't think so myself, but I'm hoping so. If you look at some of the very first pcs. out, they are going up, but that's not the reason. What I like is Menards is bringing out these products like you said  , so most of us can afford them and PLAY with them and not counting rivets like some do.. my opinion of the day.. Bob

Ranger Rick posted:

As for the latest hype on the Menards release, the hype came from posters on the forum, not from Menards. They did just as they always do and that is give hints leading up to the release. Many hyped in good humor.

On that note - I think this whole caboose mis-fire incident is a head-fake for the real release!

I agree with Bob and Rick. I myself are more at the top end of the scale. Not so much with engines but with rolling stock. I like scale length but I have come down ( not in a bad way ) to purchase some freight cars that caught my eye and my fancy. Hopper cars that were fantasy but I liked the paint schemes. And a few box cars along with some of the longer flat cars like the log car and auto transport. Sure a lot of the rolling stock may not be prototypical but what makes them popular is the price. Also how can you go wrong when they offer a free item along with the purchase at the time. As to why not buy the MPC well you still can but for a few dollars more you can get a bit more detail and die cast trucks. And you can buy as many as you want of one car and not get the same number. That is a plus for me. I am a stickler for same numbered cars. But when down the road Menards offers a car I would really like I would be buying at least15 to 20.  My two cents..............Paul

jim sutter posted:

Since Mark hasn't said anything, I was wondering, maybe the Santa Fe caboose wasn't to be the next release. Maybe, someone at Menard's accidentally posted the caboose on their website by mistake. Maybe, this caboose was to be release at a later date.

Well it had to be a Santa Fe something - based on the first clue.

David, you need to go back and read the posts on Page 7 of this thread. The items were on the website for a brief time. That is how some posters have been able to show the item. But as Mark said, they were released prematurely. They will be available on-line shortly once the shipping snafu is corrected.

Rick

Without further ado, I am proud to officially introduce the Santa Fe Warbonnet caboose!

279-3684279-3684 Lit

Prelit and ready to go! This O Gauge Santa Fe Lighted Caboose has a glowing interior and two alternating LED marker lights that illuminate with track power. This caboose also features a cupola-style body, and a chassis with metal wheels and operating couplers. It is beautifully adorned with the iconic Santa Fe Warbonnet paint scheme and even contains detailed logos from the Santa Fe Railroad.

Single (279-3684) Shop Now!

4-Piece Dealer Pack (279-3685) Shop Now!

Today’s email will be sending out later today. If you want to get these emails in your inbox, click here to sign up!

Thank you,
Mark the Menards Train Guy

Attachments

Images (2)
  • 279-3684 Lit
  • 279-3684
Last edited by Menards

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.