Skip to main content

Check out our newest addition to our O scale die-cast collection!

1:50 Scale Container Handler (279-4232) Shop Now!

• Measures 5-3/4”L x 3-1/2”W x 8-5/8”H
  • Die-cast construction with some plastic parts
  • Lift ranges from ground level to 8-1/2” high

Today’s train email will be sending out later today. If you want to get these emails in your inbox, click here to sign up!

Thank you,
Mark the Menards Train Guy

Last edited by Menards
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

If you’re curious, here are some directions to make the Container Handler hookup to a 40-foot container from Menards (SKU# 279-3688, 3689) 

1. Measure in from each end 2" on top
  2. Measure down 3/16”
  3. Drill a 7/64" hole
  4. Repeat
  5. Measure in from each end 2" on bottom
  6. Measure up 3/8"
  7. Drill a 9/64" hole
  8. Repeat

The 40-foot container is heavy, so you'll need to secure the carriage at the height you want to display the container at. The container hauler will also need to be secured so it won't tip forward. A dab of hot melt glue here and there will do the trick nicely.

Directions to make the Container Handler hookup to a 20-foot container from Menards (279-3677, 3678)

1. Repeat steps 1-8 above, but measure ½” from the ends during steps 1 and 5.

Thank you,
Mark the Menards Train Guy

Quite frankly, I don't think it shows much respect or class when a forum poster posts a reply on an advertisers post showing a lower price from a different vendor for a similar product. If  you want to sell or advertise a different item for sale, at the very minimum, start your own thread. Don't hijack an advertisers post, who has likely spent hundreds, if not thousands of dollars to advertise on this top notch forum.

Just my opinion....

645 posted:
wild mary posted:

Very nice, makes me wish I was into intermodal.

Make the switch to intermodal - this way you can say all those incoming containers are loaded with imported beer so you won't have to carve space out for a brewery now...  

Can't switch as I model the transition period exclusively.  Besides the brewery real estate was inherited with the provision that a brewery MUST go there if the property is developed.

FUTURE BREWERY SITE

firture brewery

Attachments

Images (1)
  • firture brewery
Last edited by wild mary

Customs can be fun......I bought a die cast 1/43 scale car from a seller in HK. It was $50 and was shipped insured. BUT.....the seller put 'GOLD' on the customs form as the model car was PAINTED gold in color. Package made it to a USPS service center than just 'poof' gone....took many many weeks to get my money back!!! 

You know Alan,

the product you showed maybe cheaper from the bay. But as for me and I know a lot of other people here, most would rather deal with a company that has a great history of standing behind the product they sale! If that means a couple more bucks to have the feeling that you will be taken care of is something goes wrong, instead of not knowing when the other party that sales something similar will ever respond.

As for me I will stay with Mark and the Menards team! They care about there train friends, not just the mighty dollar!

Hey Mark from Menards, what are the dimensions of the container that comes with your new forklift? If they are similar to the container to the other merchant container pictured above, I'd like to suggest the possibility of having those containers for separate sale.

As a traditional 027 sort of operator, I really like the smaller, non-scale proportioned containers and I could see myself being in the market for a few of those. Those are perfect "scale" for "my scale." 

Of course, whether the item is available from your vendor, and whether or not there would be sufficient sales potential, that I could only guess. But I'm sure Lionel has sold a far greater quantity of the traditionally sized containers that they made for decades now, versus some of the more recent, more scale proportioned ones.

By the way, another nice product from Menards. Not every product will appeal to everyone, but you guys seem to be doing a good job at trying to please a broad base of customers with your many diverse products. In addition, something like that game show... and the price is right.

20170817_11112820170817_11094820170817_111054brianel_k-lineguy posted:

Hey Mark from Menards, what are the dimensions of the container that comes with your new forklift? If they are similar to the container to the other merchant container pictured above, I'd like to suggest the possibility of having those containers for separate sale.

As a traditional 027 sort of operator, I really like the smaller, non-scale proportioned containers and I could see myself being in the market for a few of those. Those are perfect "scale" for "my scale." 

Of course, whether the item is available from your vendor, and whether or not there would be sufficient sales potential, that I could only guess. But I'm sure Lionel has sold a far greater quantity of the traditionally sized containers that they made for decades now, versus some of the more recent, more scale proportioned ones.

By the way, another nice product from Menards. Not every product will appeal to everyone, but you guys seem to be doing a good job at trying to please a broad base of customers with your many diverse products. In addition, something like that game show... and the price is right.

Not Mark, but Bob here.. The dimensions are..1 1/2 wide..1  9/16 tall  .. 3 5/8 long.. hope this helps.. Bob

Attachments

Images (3)
  • 20170817_111128
  • 20170817_110948
  • 20170817_111054
Last edited by cabinet Bob

Nobody asked my opinion regarding eBay/Menards, but I'll give it anyway. 

I bought one of those forklifts on eBay. It was from another vendor, $28 +5 dollar shipping, and a choice of yellow or blue. The seller asked to specify color. I noted I wanted yellow. They shipped blue. 

First world problem? Absolutely. But keep in mind, it took 2 1/2 weeks for the shipment to arrive, it was not exactly what I asked for, and I wasn't about to ship it back to China to get what I wanted and wait a total of about two months. 

From what I can see, the piece from Menards is identical to what is being sold elsewhere on eBay. There maybe is just one factory that makes a bazillion of them, I don't know. But I would happily pay Menards price to get it more quickly, and even more importantly , get it correctly. 

And hey, it's yellow. 

Good evening folks !

Has anyone in here bought some of the new Menards 20 foot containers yet ? If so, can you please confirm the EXACT measurements for a single 20 foot container ? It looks like they are rebranding the former Right-of-Way intermodal cars.

I already own some K-Line, MTH, and Atlas Gunderson and Thrall container cars and would like to know if these Menards containers would be "compatible".

The dimensions are there at the bottom of the description on their website, but they appear to be quite vague. More precision is definitely required here.

Thank you !

https://www.menards.com/main/h...29858515&ipos=45

279-3677A279-3677B279-3677C279-3677D279-3677E279-3677F279-3677G279-3677H

Attachments

Images (8)
  • 279-3677A
  • 279-3677B
  • 279-3677C
  • 279-3677D
  • 279-3677E
  • 279-3677F
  • 279-3677G