Skip to main content

Great Northern Boxcar - Red (279-5257, 5258) Shop now!

Dimensions: 11”L x 2-3/8”W x 3-3/8”H

This O gauge boxcar features realistic details, including a chassis with premium metal trucks and operating couplers. Painted in a red paint scheme, this boxcar boasts exquisite detail. Take note of the hand-painted ladders and roofwalk, and descriptive markings on both ends of the boxcar. Breathtaking graphics and sliding doors on both sides complete this beautiful piece. This Boxcar will be a wonderful addition to your train collection.

Features

• Each boxcar is uniquely numbered - No two are alike!
  • Limited edition
  • Navigates O-27 curves
  • Operating couplers and sliding doors
  • For best results, lubricate all metal parts before running

Thank you,
Mark the Menards Train Guy

Last edited by Menards
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Who likes Frisco? We do!

Check out our newest boxcar additions including a brand-new weathered scheme. Shop now!

Frisco Boxcars

O gauge weathered boxcars from Menards

The basics: O gauge boxcars with plastic body, metal wheels and couplers, and colorful graphics. The cars are gently weathered to simulate years of service. The cars are11 inches long, 2-3/8 inches wide, and 3-3/8 inches high. The cars can operate on O-27 or wider diameter curved track.

Why you need this: Almost every railroad enthusiast fondly recalls the days when freight cars were graffiti-free. What few remember is that these were working cars that got dirty, from rail, sleet, snow and sandstorms! There might even be some flaked paint and rust to be seen. Menards is helping freshen up the appearance of your railroad with cars that look like they’ve got a story to tell, but which have never been tagged by spray paint.

Road name and graphics are authentic and are stylishly applied. These freight cars are gently weathered with residue of what looks like several years of riding the rails. Like actual freight cars, the grime accumulates at spots where wind, rain, and snow force it to accumulate. The cars are rust and graffiti-free and the weathering does not obscure any detailing or lettering. The cars look like they have been in service, but have years to go before they’ll see a scrap line!

Thank you,

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Frisco Boxcars
Last edited by Menards

Great offerings!  I can see my collection growing a little more come Christmas time!

How about some Rock Island stuff, Menard's?  The Rock Island was a fairly sizable Midwestern railroad too, in its day.  (Note: Bankruptcy blue is totally taboo.  NO bankruptcy blue/powder-puff white is allowed on my property.  Yechhh! Icky! Belch! Barf! Bahhh! etc., etc., and all that rot ).

Introducing 2 new Santa Fe Boxcars! Shop Now!

Santa Fe Boxcars

In case you miss it, I've included today's train email below.

If you want to receive these special offers and new product announcements, click here!

Thank you,

Attachments

Menards posted:

Check out our newest boxcar additions including a brand-new weathered scheme. Shop now!

Frisco Boxcars

Why you need this: What few remember is that these were working cars that got dirty, from rail, sleet, snow and sandstorms! There might even be some flaked paint and rust to be seen. Menards is helping freshen up the appearance of your railroad with cars that look like they’ve got a story to tell, but which have never been tagged by spray paint.

These freight cars are gently weathered with residue of what looks like several years of riding the rails.

The yellow boxcar does not appear weathered. Which is fine with me, but kind of confusing given that it's listed as a weathered car.

breezinup posted:

The yellow boxcar does not appear weathered. Which is fine with me, but kind of confusing given that it's listed as a weathered car.

I suppose the written description could be interpreted either way, possibly.  But "a brand-new weathered scheme" suggests singular, not plural, and the picture pretty much clarifies that point in my opinion.  For the "newest box car additions (plural)", the yellow car is a clean car, while the red car is the weathered car.

Reading comprehension comes in handy when you slow down and take the time to understand what is being written. 

Mixed Freight posted:
breezinup posted:

I suppose the written description could be interpreted either way, possibly.  But "a brand-new weathered scheme" suggests singular, not plural, and the picture pretty much clarifies that point in my opinion.  For the "newest box car additions (plural)", the yellow car is a clean car, while the red car is the weathered car.

Reading comprehension comes in handy when you slow down and take the time to understand what is being written. 

Well, the title under the picture of the two boxcars says "O gauge weathered boxcars from Menards."

"Boxcars," plural. But only one of the two cars pictured is weathered. I think most people would expect them both to be weathered based on that description. Doesn't take much reading comprehension to come to that conclusion. 

Frisco Boxcars

Last edited by breezinup
breezinup posted:
Mixed Freight posted:
breezinup posted:

Well, the title under the picture of the two boxcars says "O gauge weathered boxcars from Menards."

"Boxcars," plural. But only one of the two is weathered. I think most people would expect them both to be weathered based on that description. Doesn't take much reading comprehension to come to that conclusion. 

My apologies, breezinup.  I have to admit, in retrospect, I may have been slightly confused myself for a minute or two when I first read the original post.  But then, I realized that the post was undoubtedly a continuation of the very first post showing the Great Northern box car.

"Reading Comprehension" refers to me every bit as much as anyone else.  Wasn't trying single you out in particular.  It took me a little bit to figure it out, then I kinda' forgot about it for a day or two.  Once again, my apologies.

Nothing to apologize for at all, Paul. It's such a small thing.

Like Jim (Sutter), I'm not a fan of weathering, either. I thought that the weathered reefer series MPC did many moons ago was great; however, much of my admiration was for the innovative thought that went into the production of them. One of the many fantastic things the MPC-era Lionel people did. IMHO, Lionel at that time should have gone the extra step and also produced a weathered engine and caboose to go with the reefers. The series would have been more popular had they done that, I think. Without those, the reefers were a bit like orphans.

Similar situation with the Menard's weathered cars. They need a weathered engine and caboose, but that isn't terribly difficult for a person to do (not a great job, necessarily, but at least a passable one). 

Check out this Lehigh Valley boxcar! Shop now!

In case you missed it, I've included today's train email below.

If you want to receive these special offers and new product announcements, click here!

Thank you,

Attachments

Here are two more brand new boxcars!

Weathered B&O Boxcar (279-4414, 4415) Shop Now >

Seaboard System Boxcar (279-5265, 5266) Shop Now >

In case you miss it, I've included today's train email below.

Thank you,

Attachments

jim sutter posted:

Dominic Mazoch,

I like your idea about a Dog Food box car.

Bit of trivia. A couple rare Lionel cars, and an Atlas O car.

This boxcar is from the Lionel 6-11846 Kal Kan Pet Care Train Set. The boxcar was never sold individually. It was never shown in a Lionel catalog.

Lionel 6-16294 Pedigree Dog Food Boxcar 9700-2

This boxcar is from the Lionel 6-11846 Kal Kan Pet Care Train Set. The boxcar was also never sold individually, and never cataloged.

Lionel 6-16295 Kal Kan Pet Foods Boxcar 9700-1

Atlas O 8091

Atlas O Doggie Dinner Reefer 40' Wood #8091-1 [3 Rail) O Gauge Freight Car NEW

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.