Skip to main content

base11 posted:

I really think the building is great and I will get one.  However, I am not sure of the dimensions.  The original post said 6 x 11, but the Menards website description say 11 x 11.  Not a deal breaker, just trying to plan.

Would  6" x 11"  be w/o the insert ?  

Or 6 3/4" according to Menard's original post.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • mceclip0
TShearer posted:
base11 posted:

I really think the building is great and I will get one.  However, I am not sure of the dimensions.  The original post said 6 x 11, but the Menards website description say 11 x 11.  Not a deal breaker, just trying to plan.

Guessing 1 dimension is the hotel, the other the entire foot print?

Nice surprise structure from Menards!

BobbyD posted:
TShearer posted:
base11 posted:

Guessing 1 dimension is the hotel, the other the entire foot print?

Nice surprise structure from Menards!

I'm thinking you are right. The overall would be 11x11.. Mine will be here Thursday morning to verify it..

base11 posted:

Here's a more specific footprint. Assuming you have a half inch on the opposite side of the tracks, 6-3/4" x 11" is all the space the main structure takes up.

York Footprint

Thank you,
Mark the Menards Train Guy

Attachments

Images (1)
  • York Footprint
UnclePeteRR posted:

Mark, Couldn't tell from the video.....does the front sign light up like your other neon ones? I  will definitely order it at the same time the 40ft boxes are availble, Unclepeterr 

Unclepeterr,

It's lit from below by several LED lights but the sign itself is not lit. There's quite a but going on between the lit interior and grand entrance that we thought it may be too distracting.

-Mark the Menards Train Guy

Jim Brenner posted:

One other question: is the building made of wood or plastic? I'm thinking of kitbashing. The Schlitz beer line needs some competition

Hi Jim,

The building is made of MDF (engineered wood product).

I'd like to see how it turns out if you decide to kit bash it. Have fun!

CincinnatiWestern posted:

Is the sign removable, or is it printed within the brick pattern?

THANKS

CincinnatiWestern,

The laser etched brick pattern does continue behind the signs. Out of curiosity,  I peeled back the York sign to see how easy it would be to remove. It comes off pretty easy but it leaves a little residue. I'm guessing there are some simple tricks that a modeler would use to remove the residue but I don't have any advice for that.

I hope that helps!

IRON HORSE posted:

Sweet!  Love hotel's bing bang for the small footprint -- makes up for my Red Owl store square footage.   I will probably add it on to my order for my new basement bathroom sink outside my train room online as I take advantage of their their famous 11% off sale this week.  Can anyone confirm that the new 4.5 volt transformer needed is the same as the Lemax 4.5v? 

Iron Horse,

Truth be told, the Lemax 4.5v power source doesn't have enough juice to power the York Hotel. You will need a 4.5-volt power supply with 5,000 mA for this structure.

tackindy posted:

If I bought one I'd rename it to something else since the sign is not backlit.  But the ONE complaint I have about this is the power cord is sold separate?  Why?  Is there another way to power it from the layout?  

This building has 3 motor-driven roof turbines and so many lights (200+ LEDs), that we had to create a more powerful 4.5-volt power supply. This new adapter has a 5,000 mA output that is necessary to power the building.

Menards posted:
CincinnatiWestern posted:

Is the sign removable, or is it printed within the brick pattern?

THANKS

CincinnatiWestern,

...  I peeled back the York sign to see how easy it would be to remove. It comes off pretty easy but it leaves a little residue ...

I hope that helps!

I guess we know what building will be in the next mystery box that is ordered!

TShearer posted:
banjoflyer posted:

Can't quite make out the street address on the awning over the front steps. Can anyone else see what it says?

Mark

Looks like 3334 Carlisle Ave, however, I will confirm tomorrow after lunch when Cabinet Bob reviews his

Mine was sent out SMARTPOST.. FEDEX TO POST OFFICE..  It MAYBE will be here in 10 days..grrrrrr.... I know Menards uses the cheapest way to ship, which is ok, but I hate Smartpost. It actually comes within 10 miles from me , then to its next hub which is in Kansas, then back to its  next hub   Des Moines Iowa, then another 3 days from there. anyway,, got that off my chest this morning... LOL..

cabinet Bob posted

Mine was sent out SMARTPOST.. FEDEX TO POST OFFICE..  It MAYBE will be here in 10 days..grrrrrr.... I know Menards uses the cheapest way to ship, which is ok, but I hate Smartpost. It actually comes within 10 miles from me , then to its next hub which is in Kansas, then back to its  next hub   Des Moines Iowa, then another 3 days from there. anyway,, got that off my chest this morning... LOL..

ASAP  Please Cabinet Bob before this poor guy has the whole OGR forum lurking on his front lawn !

Attachments

Images (1)
  • mceclip0

Hi,

I have a question for Mark the Menards guy. I just purchased some train items on the site and I was sent the 11% in-store rebate. I live in California - so obviously we can't use the coupon. Are there restrictions from me forwarding my rebate to a fellow OGR member who could use it? Just wondering, and hoping to help out those who could benefit from it, because we can't.

Thanks.

OC Patrick posted:

Hi,

I have a question for Mark the Menards guy. I just purchased some train items on the site and I was sent the 11% in-store rebate. I live in California - so obviously we can't use the coupon. Are there restrictions from me forwarding my rebate to a fellow OGR member who could use it? Just wondering, and hoping to help out those who could benefit from it, because we can't.

Thanks.

OC Patrick,

That is very thoughtful of you!

We have no issues with folks transferring the merchandise checks. Thanks for asking!

cabinet Bob posted:
TShearer posted:
banjoflyer posted:

Can't quite make out the street address on the awning over the front steps. Can anyone else see what it says?

Mark

Looks like 3334 Carlisle Ave, however, I will confirm tomorrow after lunch when Cabinet Bob reviews his

I agree about the Smartpost arrangement. A recent eBay purchase was delivered by FedEx using Smartpost. As I tracked its progress, it quickly arrived from the seller to the FedEx hub, then seemingly nothing happened for four days as it was slowly moved into the postal workflow. Maddening.

just received the HOTEL. looks like a truncated Chicago Hilton. Nice.

Image result for hilton chicago exterior

First impression is that the signage must be replaced. Mine has a fold crease running across the sign. I will design and build a 3D printed two-sided lighted sign that hangs up and down with supporting posts.

I have made 3D parking signs for friends. So this will be larger and comprised of two parts   HOTEL and Name. I may not keep Hotel York Royal.

Also, there are a few rub marks along the vertical supports. but not a problem. the windows are fantastic situated on each side all over the place.

cabinet Bob posted:
TShearer posted:
banjoflyer posted:

Mark

Bob I call Smart post Stupidpost as I feel it's the worst way to ship something. Old parcel post was quicker. Trainz uses it a lot also, I'm about 4 hours from them but it takes a week for me to get it. 

Last edited by rtraincollector

Mark,

I'm a big fan of the Menards structures and have bought many.  I've been asking for years for someone to please offer true city buildings, and voila!  This appears to be a good one - I really hope it's the first in a series.  You say it's made out of MDF.  I tried zooming in on the website photos of this building to see the brickwork detail, but the photos aren't high enough resolution.  

Any chance to get some close-up photos of the brickwork and building corners posted here?  

Thanks.  

Peter

Last edited by PJB

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.