Skip to main content

"HONGZ" stands for HO scale, N scale, G scale, and Z scale.

Post your non-O scale stuff here!

Hello again, I just wanted to share some pictures of these no-name railroad models I've been working on. 

Here is the album: https://imgur.com/a/27NqUD7

All of the models are based on old drawings from the New York Central found here: http://www.canadasouthern.com/caso/home.htm.

The first piece is a madison style 70' passenger coach, and the second is a standard boxcar from the 30's-40's era. They're currently in G-scale (1:32). Since they are in a fairly large scale, I was able to use pre-existing parts for the springs and axles on all of the trucks. I also plan to use pre-existing diaphragms and kadee couplers. There is a picture toward the end of the album showing the scaling. I've applied detailing to the best of my ability, but it is most certainly not 100% accurate. I can say that the major dimensions are accurate within half a scale foot though. The goal was to create something good looking that is capable of being manufactured using modern methods (IE printing, casting) without needing seperately applied detailing. I may change this in the future depending on how they turn out. 

My end game goal with this project to be able to manufacture my own model trains. I plan to do some experimentation with high quality 3D prints as well as aluminum and bronze castings. I have started a company, Kinetic Technology Projects, in order to monetize some of the projects I'm working on, and to share them with other people. The electronics side of things is coming along well too. I made a post last April about the Model Train Control System, MTCS, which is an arduino programmable alternative to something like Protosound or ERR. Most G-gauge and O-gauge locomotives will be convertable with some effort. An HO version may be released as well, but it will likely not include the full set of capabilities due to size constraints. I've also converted an O-gauge locomotive to use track power instead of battery power, as some folks had suggested. There will be an update on MTCS coming up relatively soon. Of course, manufacturing my own models to begin with would make the integration of the electronics much easier and allow me to add features that might not fit into pre-existing designs.

If you are curious about KTP, check out the youtube channel. Videos will be posted there occasionally in order to document progress on various projects, including KTP Trains and MTCS. There will be plenty of other non train-related content as well.

Last edited by Aaron Jamison
Original Post

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.