Skip to main content

I just received the Diecast Direct 2020 Fall catalogue. There is an abundance of 1:43 vehicles, which are too large, and some 1:48 and 1:50. It’s frustrating because there are some really nice pieces but they are 1:43. However, there are some nice offerings in 1:64 and I was wondering if this would be too small with my PW layout. Your insights are greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Jay

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Yes, too small, as 1:64 is S scale. S is between O and HO; kind of wee.

BUT - having said that, when kept at the back of a scene, 1:64 will work as it can enhance the forced perspective thing (as part of the scene; can't do it alone). Keep them away from the O-scale (true and 1:43) stuff and the front of the layout.

I am an S scale collector/operator and have a lot of 1/64 cars and trucks. I would not use them on an O scale layout. The 1/64 cars have a lot less detail, there are far fewer prototype car models to choose from and they are way undersized for O scale. As mentioned above some of the Plasticville is undersized so sometimes a 1/64 vehicle looks right with Plasticville, sometimes not. Also as mentioned above, forced perspective can be a good application if they are not within reach of the viewer.

I have 1:43 and 1:48 / 1:50 vehicles on my layout but I keep them apart. For instance, I avoid placing my 1:43 NYC bus near my 1:50 Corgi Mack tractor-trailer truck, because the bus model is larger than the truck model, even though I think in real life the truck is probably larger than the bus or at least very close in size. I do the same with 1:43 and 1:48 figures.  Keep them somewhat apart, and the difference scales will be less noticeable. I have some 1/64 figures but their smaller size is very noticeable if there are any 1:48 / 1:43 figures within sight of them.

Last edited by West Side Joe

Yes, 1/64 cars will work okay with a postwar layout.  Regarding some of the comments above, most Matchbox and Hot Wheels cars are not 1/64.  Most of them are smaller than that.  But, some of them are spot on 1/64, especially the models of smaller cars.

Some of the Johnny Lightning and similar, higher-end die cast cars at retail are 1/64, but even that is hit and miss.  

I'd say buy a couple 1/64 cars and see what you think.  I think they are fine, though very different in size from 1/43.  The 1/64 cars also fit PERFECTLY on the MPC-era tri-level auto rack.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.