Skip to main content

My wife wanted a project to do on my layout. She wants to build a DPM building and turn it into a small town appliance store. She made a list of what she would like to display in window. Missing, and I been looking, is an upright old radio and a couple of TV sets. She's found fridge, and other items. But these, she can't find. Any help appreciated. Its her project, but said I would only help to procure items she couldn't find. Thanks ahead, she's getting courage to do more, she just finished weathering a flat car, and is having fun.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

At the top of page one you will find the heading: SCENERY SOURCELIST. Click on that and then go to the heading:FURNITURE & INTERIOR ITEMS. Click on those to go to the sources. Also check Plastruct Products, Scenic Express and Woodland Scenics. There are also 1:48 Doll House suppliers that you can Google or search on E-bay.

I have found that many "case" type furniture can be easily made with balsa or basswood. Stainless items can be made by wrapping them in aluminum foil.

Paul Goodness

While I do not focus on doll house furniture, because I do focus on detailing the interior of all of my scratch built buildings. My practice is to cast these details so I have a supply for future use. Your wife may be interested in exploring the 'Internal Details page and also reading about some of the buildings I have on my layout.

Les Lewis 

Last edited by OGR CEO-PUBLISHER
Originally Posted by New Haven Trolleys/ NH RR:

While I do not focus on doll house furniture, because I do focus on detailing the interior of all of my scratch built buildings. My practice is to cast these details so I have a supply for future use. I add all of these to my web site at Westport Model Works for others to take advantage of. Your wife may be interested in exploring the 'Internal Details page and also reading about some of t buildings I have on my layout.

Les Lewis 

http://www.westportmodelworks.com/  this is your site? it is nice

Originally Posted by Emil McComas:
Originally Posted by New Haven Trolleys/ NH RR:

While I do not focus on doll house furniture, because I do focus on detailing the interior of all of my scratch built buildings. My practice is to cast these details so I have a supply for future use. I add all of these to my web site at Westport Model Works for others to take advantage of. Your wife may be interested in exploring the 'Internal Details page and also reading about some of t buildings I have on my layout.

Les Lewis 

http://www.westportmodelworks.com/  this is your site? it is nice

I like what you have. I'm Josef's wife, and want to thank all for help. My uncle had a TV, Radio, & appliance store in the late 40s to mid 60s. I told Josef he needed to add this to the town, and since I help him with projects, sometimes just holding items for him when his arthritis is really bad. He told me it should be all mine to do and he would help only with hints or suggestions if asked. Its all mine, sink or swim, (sucess or failure). He's good at a lot, but small items can be painfull for his hands and fingers. Again, he asked me to read all the post and suggestions, and asked, but didn't tell me to also thank you. I thank you.

My girlfriend, a master modeler, swears by Etsy.com.  There are both previously manufactured items and artesans who will build whatever you'd like.

Here's a result of searching for 1/48 radio: https://www.etsy.com/search?q=1%2F48+radio

Here's a 1/4" scale TV: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1...mp;ref=sr_gallery_25

This link will give you an idea of all that's available: https://www.etsy.com/search?q=...al+-diamond+-jewelry

HTH.

Steven J. Serenska

Last edited by Serenska
I would only go through shapeways if it was something I badly needed that nobody else makes and that I can't make myself. Some of that stuff can get quite pricey and take a while to arrive. A pal of mine spent a great deal and waited several weeks for some airplane model parts...

Originally Posted by banjoflyer:

This ebay seller has a variety of 1:48 furniture assortments.

See their other items for all available.

Mark

I don't know if it was that exact seller, but I bought several of those cards of items just like that off ePay and have them all in a small box, waiting to install in structures once they're permanently fitted to my layout once my scenery is done... They're quite a good value when you consider that companies like Woodland Scenics are charging over $20 for the same types of items...

Don't forget, there is a Scenery Sourcelist maintained by DGAUSS at the top of the Scenery and Structures Forum that these links should be in if you want them preserved for future reference. Just email him, he even provides a link for that purpose. This way, all these good references won't disappear and will be easy to find.
Originally Posted by tom yorke:

If you are looking for scale size and detail, then shapeway is the way to go. most dollhouse furniture is grossly oversize as far as wood sizes go. 1/4" looks way too clunky. 

A number of family members built custom high end doll houses many years ago.(decades)

There was often enough variance between mfg.s and pieces, to say the scale quoted is an approximation for the grouping (most we used were sold only in sets).

Hopefully that's changed some since then, but if not.....

Forced perspective, where placement of larger items are closer to the viewer or similar sized items, and smaller items placed further away, doesn't have the same impact in a room as it does on a layout. But it can be applied with some success because the size variance usually isn't much to speak of with small furniture items.

Hopefully the shop will lend itself better to this than a furnished home.

These threads often inspire and send us searching to odd places where we see odd things.

If any of you spot one of these near 1:48, let me know.. Please.

Telefunken U-47 microphone

telefunkinU47

Attachments

Images (1)
  • telefunkinU47

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.