Skip to main content

Has anyone seen, in the flesh, the new 1/48 trucks from Classic Metals Round 2 trackside collection--REA delivery truck, Falstaff delivery truck, Whistle soda delivery truck?  If only this could be a precursor to Mini-Metals vehicles in 1/48 (or even 1/50 or 1/43) in common sedan issues for reasonable prices.

Larry, still working on the cajonpass

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I hate to burst everybody's bubble, BUT........................................................................

Almost a year ago, I ordered a Menard's O-27-sized O-gauge flat car with a 1955 Pepsi Cola beverage truck load (and still in their catalog as of a week or two ago).  Thinking it might be 1/48 or even 1/50 scale, I was initially disappointed when I first got it.  While a really cool truck, it is NOT 1/48 scale, or even close to it.  No scale is indicated on the bottom side of the truck, as you might find on some die-cast vehicles.  And although I still haven't verified the exact scale, I believe it is probably much closer to 1/64 scale than anything.

The Classic Metal Works 'Whistle Soda' and the 'O-So Grape' trucks look to be the spittin' image of the Pepsi truck on my Menard's flat car.  With that in mind , then they are NOT 1/48 scale either.

And along the same lines, I also have serious doubts that the 1948 COE Box Trucks, "REA' and 'Falstaff Beer' are 1/48 scale, either.  I'd be willing to bet that they are the same scale as the beverage trucks.  However, without one in my hands, I can't say for certain.

Still nice looking trucks though.  They'd be great for toy train operators or anybody doing O-27-sized layouts.  Or background (as in way, way back) vehicles on a scale layout.  Heck, I may even pick me up a few sometime in the future when train shows resume.

Sorry to disappoint. 

Last edited by Mixed Freight

I hate to burst everybody's bubble, BUT........................................................................

Almost a year ago, I ordered a Menard's O-27-sized O-gauge flat car with a 1955 Pepsi Cola beverage truck load (and still in their catalog as of a week or two ago).  Thinking it might be 1/48 or even 1/50 scale, I was initially disappointed when I first got it.  While a really cool truck, it is NOT 1/48 scale, or even close to it.  No scale is indicated on the bottom side of the truck, as you might find on some die-cast vehicles.  And although I still haven't verified the exact scale, I believe it is probably much closer to 1/64 scale than anything.

The Classic Metal Works 'Whistle Soda' and the 'O-So Grape' trucks look to be the spittin' image of the Pepsi truck on my Menard's flat car.  With that in mind , then they are NOT 1/48 scale either.

Sorry to disappoint. 

Diamond T Coca-Cola

Coca Cola wrong scale

Paul,

There is a yellow Coca-Cola delivery truck being advertised and sold as 1:50 as printed on the lower right of the package.  I ordered two and like you was disappointed when they arrived.  While 1:50 is printed on the packaging, the truck is close to 1 1/2 inches wide which puts it at 1:64.  I sold them to an S Scale modeler.  Until the mid 1970s, the standard width of freight trucks was 96 inches, or two scale inches.  Short of two inches it is a 1:49 or smaller.  Wider than two inches it is a 1:47 or larger gauge.

To be sure, it may be prudent to ask the seller the width of the model or the wheel base or the length over all and compare that to the prototype vehicle.

John  

Attachments

Images (2)
  • Coca Cola wrong scale
  • Diamond T Coca-Cola
Last edited by rattler21
@rattler21 posted:

Diamond T Coca-Cola

Coca Cola wrong scale

Paul,

There is a yellow Coca-Cola delivery truck being advertised and sold as 1:50 as printed on the lower right of the package.  I ordered two and like you was disappointed when they arrived.  While 1:50 is printed on the packaging, the truck is close to 1 1/2 inches wide which puts it at 1:64.  I sold them to an S Scale modeler.  Until the mid 1970s, the standard width of freight trucks was 96 inches, or two scale inches.  Short of two inches it is a 1:49 or smaller.  Wider than two inches it is a 1:47 or larger gauge.

To be sure, it may be prudent to ask the seller the width of the model or the wheel base or the length over all and compare that to the prototype vehicle.

John  

I had the same disappointing experience as John with the Coke truck.... as it was advertised at 1:50 scale.  After receiving it,   I made lemonade out of the lemons IMG_9831IMG_8664 by placing the truck in the back of my layout, thereby creating forced perspective.  Although it seems to work pretty well in a forced perspective situation, I'd much rather have a 1:43 or 1:48 scale model.  

Attachments

Images (2)
  • IMG_9831
  • IMG_8664
@rattler21 posted:

Paul,   How wide is it at the outside of the rear fenders?  I sent a message to Walthers asking for the width. The automated acceptance response was because of high volume a response may take eight to eleven days.  John

Ford Pickup = 1-9/16" across the rear fenders.  Pepsi Bottle Truck = 1-11/16" across the rear fenders.

The front fenders may be a better indication of scale discrepancy, however.  Ford Pickup = 1-9/16" across front fenders.  Pepsi Bottle Truck = 1-7/16" across front fenders.  A full 1/8" less than the pickup.

The 1/48 Ford pickup, at 1-9/16" across the front fenders would equal 6'-3" full size measurement.  Which sounds about right for a vehicle of that vintage.  I originally compared the model wheelbase (2-5/16") to the prototype wheelbase, listed on a google search as 110" if memory serves,  and therefore determined that the model truck is virtually dead-on for 1/48 scale.

The Pepsi Bottle Truck, at 1-7/16" across the front fenders, would equal 7'-8" full size measurement if figuring it at 1/64 scale.  Just out of curiosity, I ran outside with a tape measure and checked the outside dimension across the front fenders on my full-sized '73 Ford F-600 street rod.  Near as I could eyeball it, it was right about 7'-8".  Imagine that. 

I am so heavily committed to 1/43 (especially outrageously expensive coupes, sedans, and wagons) that I am only hoping for the best with Round 2.  For years now I have suffered watching my small scale friends pick up those Mini-Metals and marveled at who among them wanted the Ford Fairmont (sp?).  Actually I guess I have been bitten by the 1/43 collecting bug and now I have too many vehicles even for the clogged highways of my Cajon Pass layout.

I anxiously await responses from those of you who ordered samples. 

Thanks for your responses so far.

Larry

The difference between 1:48 and 1:50 is miniscule. For some reason 1:43 appears to look better and more realistic next to 1:48 actual scale trains.  I:48 true scale vehicles are actually very small, but not quite as 1:64..  These trucks could be actual 1:48 scale....👀

Not really, the red PCC is a Corgi 1/50, the green/cream is an R&T 1/48; looks sizeable to me:

R&T-Corgi 004R&T-Corgi 007

As for 1/43, they are way too large; many otherwise great scenes are effectively ruined by them overpowering their surroundings.

Attachments

Images (2)
  • R&T-Corgi 004
  • R&T-Corgi 007
@PRRMP54 posted:

Not really, the red PCC is a Corgi 1/50, the green/cream is an R&T 1/48; looks sizeable to me:

R&T-Corgi 004R&T-Corgi 007

As for 1/43, they are way too large; many otherwise great scenes are effectively ruined by them overpowering their surroundings.

I refer mainly to cars, of course trucks and buses are going to compare differently....in size due to their natural portrayal of what vehicle they are representing.   I have all the scales out there.  And in my scenes I keep 1:50 separated from 1/43 in trucks.  Cars do match up fairly closely... If you have all the same scale it is difficult to notice the difference. Cars only...

Your second photo proves the point.  One must really look hard and close to distinguish the difference in scales....🧐

Well, folks, I just took delivery of my 1/48 scale Falstaff delivery truck from Classic Metal Round 2 and boy does it sure look small.  It is dwarfed by 1/43 scale automobiles and even looks small next to 1/50 scale buses and trucks.....but, when compared to the dimensions for 1948 Chevrolet COE's (https://www.gmheritagecenter.c...-Chevrolet-Truck.pdf).

it seems to be very accurate at least as I measure it even the headlights (at about 7 inches) and wheels (at about 20 inches) are in scale.  It doesn't look overly small next to Preiser figures. 

So please take a look at the gm pdf file and see what you think.  All these years of sufficing with oversized 1/43 vehicles seems to have warped my perceptions.  It is a beautiful truck and would look great on a distant highway with similarly sized trucks.

Oh, my aching brain,

Larry

@Larry posted:

Well, folks, I just took delivery of my 1/48 scale Falstaff delivery truck from Classic Metal Round 2 and boy does it sure look small.  It is dwarfed by 1/43 scale automobiles and even looks small next to 1/50 scale buses and trucks.....but, when compared to the dimensions for 1948 Chevrolet COE's (https://www.gmheritagecenter.c...-Chevrolet-Truck.pdf).

it seems to be very accurate at least as I measure it even the headlights (at about 7 inches) and wheels (at about 20 inches) are in scale.  It doesn't look overly small next to Preiser figures. 

So please take a look at the gm pdf file and see what you think.  All these years of sufficing with oversized 1/43 vehicles seems to have warped my perceptions.  It is a beautiful truck and would look great on a distant highway with similarly sized trucks.

Oh, my aching brain,

Larry

Hi Larry,

Can you actually find anywhere on the packaging or the model itself where it specifically states "1/48 Scale"?

What I can see in some photos, the packaging says "O Scale", and "1948 Box Van".  This wording in itself may sublimely lead one to believe it is 1/48 scale, when in fact it's not.  Without me having one to do some close scrutiny on, I'm pretty sure it is actually 1/64 scale (3/16" = 1'-0"), which is why it appears rather small when comparing it to other known-sized scale vehicles in the 1/43 to 1/50 scale size range.

@Joe Hohmann posted:

And to the "hand wringers", I always point out that our "O" track is 1:45.

You are confusing scale with gauge. Track is 1:48 scale. It is the gauge that is 1:45. Just because the gauge is incorrect does not mean that the ties and rails are not 1:48 scale. Yes I know that Code 148 rail is a little on the high side for most railroads.

@Larry posted:

Picture??

Last edited by BobbyD

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.