Skip to main content

Hi,

I live in the UK and am modelling the Colorado narrow Gauge in the late twenties and early thirties. Not too historically correct though but I am enjoying it. 

I hope that you may be able to help me in my search for suitable road vehicles for that period. I have a couple of Model T Fords but would like  coule of private vehicles of a slightly later era. I have had a look on the internet but seem to be going round in circles. I don't have a problem with ordering from the USA.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Dave

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

In the diecast industry[all vehicles] 1:43 and 1:50 are the 2 sizes virtualy all models are made in, the only 1:48 models are airplanes[go figure] obiviously 1:50 while slightly undersize is the closest,try 3000Models and you will see.The rare exceptions are if any[Revel many years ago had a tractor trailer in plastic that was true 1:48] are small producers

Thanks again. It does seem rather strange to me that O scale is 1/48th but hardly any vehicles are made in the scale to suit. I would have thought there would be a ready market, obviously not.

I have looked at the Wiseman site and will try one of the Model T Fords. 

I am very grateful for all the help.

Regards

Dave

Thanks to John and TrainsRMe for the ideas. I have checked both sites and there does seem to be plenty of scope. I will have to study them more carefully. I am very wary of the 1/43rd to 1/48th scale difference though. I bought some 1/43rd horses from a UK supplier and, when I put them near some 1/48th ones I bought from the USA they looked like giants and have been consigned to the drawer!

I am very grateful and will continue to trawl through the suggested sites to see what I can find.

Many thanks,

Dave

Originally Posted by Leon C.:

Tamiya recently released this 1941 cargo truck kit in 1/48 scale:

http://www.tamiya.com/english/...ucts/32577/index.htm

It may not be suitable for most train layouts as a military truck, but definitely lends itself well for modifications into a great work truck. I've already purchased several with intentions to build into a couple of coal and junk haulers.

Yes Tamiya and other model makers are making some 1/48th scale but its all military, great if you want to have a layout or scene full of World War 2 tanks.

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.