Skip to main content

I have an A/C American Models GP-35 I would like to add DCC to.  So I guess I can take out the e-unit and install a decoder between the pickups and the motors.  Can anyone recommend a (non-Digitrax) decoder that I can put in?  I need the correct prime mover sounds for this loco. (So a mobile decoder and sound decoder, or hopefully a single integrated decoder)

Martin

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The key is the current draw of the locomotive.    The amperage the motors draw under load must be less than the rating of the decoder.    Generally the decoder referred to as "HO" are rated at 1 or 1.5 amps.    If this is a newer loco, a 1.5 amp decoder might work just fine.  

Put the loco on your bench and connect a meter in line with one test lead.   Then run it and hold the wheels (use a rag or you might burn your fingers) or hold a wood block against the wheels and watch the current draw as you apply pressure.  

It is hard to see the stall, because immediately after the stall occurs, it drops to zero, but can get a good guess.   

so try to figure out the amps under heavy load and even stall and get a decoder rated to handle it.

I agree with Colin; NCE decoders are priced and set up nicely.  I have used NCE decoders on two of my AM SD60s and my SHS switcher.  I have two GP35 BNs, #2507 with Sound and #2521 B-unit without sound. 

I installed the TSU-AT1000 Part#828039 EMD567D Turbo sound decoder.  I paid $68 for mine.  It works and sounds beautiful.  I used Miniatronics LEDs with resistors and Soundtraxx speaker.  I built my own speaker box and styrene frame for the speaker and decoder to mount to.

For 2521 which had some hand rail damage I put in a budget non-sound decoder from Sound Trax to possibly better speed match to 2507.

MC2H104P9 Part# 852004 I paid maybe $22 for it.  I think the wire connections are a lot more durable than NCEs but both work great.

Good Luck, if you are on FaceBook I can send you some pictures.

John Ham

Mike A,

I'm going to go with the MRC decoder I mentioned above.  I'm comfortable with the price, I won't have to install separate sound and mobile decoders, and since I already have the MRC DCC system, I'm likely to have 100% compatibility in terms of features.

I would like to try one of the suggested alternatives above in my next loco.  The NCE looks especially attractive.

Martin H posted:

There is no way I would spend $200 in electronics upgrades to a $140 loco.  About $75 is the max I could justify in a model of that level of detailing.  I don't care how good it sounds.

Maybe if I was working with a fine-scale brass model, but for my AM gp35, it would not be worth it to me.

I understand. I'm not sure why you think they are $200 though. They are all right around $100 or so.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.