Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have been away from the forum for a while.  Do Menard's "rebates" continue to be redeemable only in-store?  I remember this being a big topic of discussion when Menard's began selling train items.

Seems like the $1.40 "fee" for "free shipping" is a similar oddity in retail terminology.

Rebates are still only good for in-store use.  The processing fee basically covers handling and not shipping.  Someone still has to go and pick the items from the shelves in the store or receive the items from a delivery truck at the store and place them into storage and then retrieve them when you show up to pickup your order. A lot of hands and people had to touch your items to make you purchase complete when you clicked the "checkout" button.

Last edited by H1000
Grampstrains posted:
H1000 posted:

Rebates are still only good for in-store use.  The processing fee basically covers handling and not shipping.  Someone still has to go and pick the items from the shelves in the store or receive the items from a delivery truck at the store and place them into storage and then retrieve them when you show up to pickup your order. A lot of hands and people had to touch your items to make you purchase complete when you clicked the "checkout" button.

A lot of people at Trainworld & Charles Ro handle my stuff too but don't charge a fee. And why a mail in rebate?    This day and age there are "online" Rebates with out having to spend 55 cents on a stamp.

When RO and Trainworld get to be as big as Menards and handle as many products.... they may think differently. I'm willing to bet that the handling fee is built in to the sale price of each item considering neither RO nor Trainworld will sell you a hopper car as nice as these for $20.00.

The Rebate thing I get it. Why only a mail in option, plus you can't use it for online purchases. It has to be redeemed in store only.

Last edited by H1000
wild mary posted:
jim sutter posted:

Can you purchase extra hatches for the tops of these hoppers? I would like to get hatches to match the color of the bodies of these cars.

That would be nice.  As they appear now they look cartoonish.

If I were to buy any of these, I'd spray the entire roof, hatches and all, with a slightly darker shade of the original roof color, giving a little contrast, since you probably won't be able to exactly match the factory roof color. That would look fine. Even painting the roofs all black probably would look acceptable, all dark blue in the case of the Alberta. Just my opinion.

Last edited by breezinup

This isn't the first time their hoppers have had different covered hatches. Heck, some of the hoppers shown were actually prototypical as cylindrical anyways. So some of those details won't make a difference, at least to me. Still, for $20.00 they're a bargain and look good. Even though I have a nearby Menards, I still usually wait for a "freebie" deal rather than the rebate. That's usually a better way to go and then you don't have to worry about redeeming them. Anything I've ordered has come well packaged, so I can understand why they charge the processing fee.

Rob

H1000 posted:

Presumably these folks are paid by the hour whether or not they handle any pieces.

Last edited by PRRMP54
H1000 posted:

When RO and Trainworld get to be as big as Menards and handle as many products.... they may think differently. I'm willing to bet that the handling fee is built in to the sale price of each item considering neither RO nor Trainworld will sell you a hopper car as nice as these for $20.00.

The Rebate thing I get it. Why only a mail in option, plus you can't use it for online purchases. It has to be redeemed in store only.

Menards is a home improvement store. Not a train store.

If Menards had to rely solely on toy train sales to remain profitable I'm sure they would think differently and charge more than $20 a car.

It's really not practical for Ro and Trainworld to start selling 2x4's, drywall, plumbing supplies, tools, etc to try and compete.

Heck, Menards probably sees more profit from selling cans of honey roasted peanuts than trains.

You guys kill me with this Menards stuff. Apples and oranges at its best.

Last edited by RickO
NOT LionelLLC posted:

The question was about a Dealer Pack containing 1 each of the current releases, not 6 of the same versions of the current releases and not about a variety pack of older releases.

To answer the original question, no they are not currently offering a Dealer Variety Pack of the current releases.

Stu

Thanks Stu, I am hoping that Menard's WILL offer a dealer pack with one of each car.   

Bob, any chance? 

Or a discount if ordering six singles?

Last edited by Ken-Oscale

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.