Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I seen these at my Menards late last week. I didn't say anything because I knew they hadn't announced them here at that time, and I didn't want to spoil the announcement by Mark.

I've often wondered the reason the paint and graphics don't look exactly like the prototype or something that's been produced before is because of licencing and copyright issues. Possibly they have to be altered in some way?

I plan on buying a few of these, they may not be correct to everyone, but I like them. The older I get, I just don't care if it's prototypical or not, and for the price, they are what they are, and that's fine with me.

Rusty

Rusty Traque posted:
cabinet Bob posted:

For 19.99 you  can't  please everyone ..

It costs just as much to do it right as do it wrong.

Rusty

It's only "wrong" if they were trying to make a prototypically correct model; and, I don't think that Menard's has claimed that as their goal.

Why not ask Mark to produce a couple of prototypically accurate models along with their free-lance offerings?

I think Menards has a nice mix of offering both prototypical paint and some that use artistic license to create some nice looking but more toy train type cars.  The Conrail blue hopper is actually, as some have stated, reminiscent of a Tyco HO train car of my youth.   Not a thing wrong with that!   That is the car I will buy actually.  The bulk of Menards train market is during Christmas.  Christmas is a time of relaxing a bit, and having fun with colorful toy trains.   The less realistic schemes will not run in my prototypical consists but it will run on the Christmas floor layout with other less prototypical trains.  I do hope Menards will offer the same Conrail hopper in boxcar red with white logos, and I bet they will.  I also hope they make a green with white graphics and a black with white graphics Penn Central hopper.  

I shop at the local Menards regularly.  I notice that the rolling stock inventory sells out. The shelf is full one day and whiped out the next. I see shoppers placing 3 or more cars at a time in their shopping cart.  At $20 a car it is easy for people to place a few cars in their cart.  

Last edited by VistaDomeScott
jhz563 posted:

Earnest question- has the issue with the hoppers been resolved so they turn freely?

I haven’t been following the Menard’s stuff recently, but I had issues with the earlier Morton’s salt offerings.  I wouldn’t mind getting a Reading and  Northern example, but I don’t need anymore projects.

I have run all the new hoppers on smaller  curves and have Not had any problems.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.