Skip to main content

I have 1044 transformer where the whistle rectifier disc get very hot and burns out even with just the transformer plugged in and not at load.  U post is to common rail and "A" post to center rail.   All internal wiring seems intact with no sign of burning or shorting.  The discs I am using were previously removed from a ZW.  Any suggrstions will be appreciated.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The whistle diode is only in the circuit when the whistle switch is closed.

Lionel 1044 Transformer | O Gauge Railroading On Line Forum

Since Olson's website went down, a lot of broken links back to them on this topic across forums.

https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/1044-help

Regardless, your first problem is what is wrong with your whistle switch before blaming it on the diode.

Second part is, why is there is a short circuit through the whistle diode basically between the U terminal and one of the other posts or windings- again, something very badly wrong with your whistle switch mechanism.

Last edited by Vernon Barry

After i made the post I went back and took another look and it appears the return spring is weak as the whistle knob seems to bind and does not always return to open after the whistle is sounded.  I guess I need to replace the spring which I hope is not too dificult to do.  Any suggestions on that procedure?

@otww posted:

U post is to common rail and "A" post to center rail...

Per postwar convention(all single train transformers), on the 1044 "A" post goes to common rail and "U" post to center rail. The whistle circuit(and direction) are on the "U" post circuit. If you reverse it, you are mistakenly sending DC to all accessories you have connected to the "U" as common in error.

Multi-train/throttle transformers use "U" as the common, to the outside rails.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.