Skip to main content

We have received an engine marked #1120 but it already has a #1110 magnetraction motor in it that some one had installed previously. The two position Eunit works flawlessly.

With all of this going on and not much invested in it we have decided to add connecting side rods and upgrade it with an LED headlight and LED green markers. Probably mate it with a slope back tender with LED up grades.

What does everyone think it will be worth when finished? 

Dave, LBR 

Last edited by CUSTOM "O" DECALS
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

A magnatraction motor actually has a magnet inside which transfers magnetic action to the drive wheels in turn giving the engine more pulling power ( less slipping ).

Dave, LBR 

Originally Posted by Balshis:
Originally Posted by CUSTOM "O" DECALS:

We have received an engine marked #1120 but it already has a #1110 magnetraction motor in it that some one had installed previously.

I thought about this, and I still don't understand.  What is a "magnetraction motor?"

Lionel originally announced Magnetraction in their 1950 catalog.

Actually, the "motor" isn't the magnet; typically the axles had Alnico magnets which in turn magnetize the driving wheels.  It was found on almost all postwar Lionel products from 1950- onward, with some exceptions like those engines that were equipped with plated wheel rims, some locos made during 1952 when material shortages occurred due to the ramping up of the Korean war, some of the low-end Scout sets and many late postwar engines.  It's only affective on steel track like traditional tinplate, Super-O, Atlas O solid steel or FasTrack.  Magnetraction isn't effective with non-ferrous track made of nickel-silver like Atlas O's regular track, MTH's RealTrax & ScaleTrax.

Originally Posted by John Korling:

Lionel originally announced Magnetraction in their 1950 catalog.

You're reading my question wrong, John.  I know what MagneTraction is.  But...

Actually, the "motor" isn't the magnet; typically the axles had Alnico magnets which in turn magnetize the driving wheels. 

Yes, that's the part I was wondering about.  I never heard of a "MagneTraction motor" providing the magnetic force.  All of my MagneTraction locomotives have the magnets between the wheels.

It was found on almost all postwar Lionel products from 1950- onward, with some exceptions like those engines that were equipped with plated wheel rims, some locos made during 1952 when material shortages occurred due to the ramping up of the Korean war, some of the low-end Scout sets and many late postwar engines. 

It wasn't just the Scouts that lacked MagneTraction.  My 1951 2026 doesn't have it, either.

It's only affective on steel track like traditional tinplate, Super-O, Atlas O solid steel or FasTrack.  Magnetraction isn't effective with non-ferrous track made of nickel-silver like Atlas O's regular track, MTH's RealTrax & ScaleTrax.

That is correct.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.