Skip to main content

I've been having a problem with my dummy Alco diesel hitting its rear truck on a new (to me) 1122 switch I obtained from eBay.  I compared it to my other switches and it appears to be missing the chrome insert piece that looks kind of like a skewed "X" near the frog rail.   

Are all 1122's supposed to have this piece, could its absence be the reason my engine is hitting in that area?   Also, if it is missing, where would I find a this part?   I checked eBay and couldn't find one but then again I don't know what it's called.  Thanks.

Last edited by windhund42
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My switch is an 1122 (not an E).   A couple questions.  Is it possible (or hopefully probable) that the auxiliary rail (1122-159 RH) should prevent my 2023 Alco engines from derailing on this switch?   In other words, will the rail "smooth the way" for them or do I need to do something else like grind down a high spot?   

It's definitely a sharp jolt and I've also seen some sparking.   The dummy unit takes the biggest hit but the powered unit also derails from time to time.

No, your causes are likely elsewhere and not related to the lack of the auxiliary rail. The documentation I had pointed to you prior...

bmoran4 posted:

There is a lot of good service information here: http://www.olsenstoy.com/searchcd31.htm?itm=684

...has specific steps for dealing with all sorts of potential derailment possibilities from upgrading frog styles, smoothing out the rails, adjusting collectors and much much more that would be much more applicable. Please report back once you have evaluated the few pages of troubleshooting steps provided by the Lionel Service documents.

I compared the A and B units and the B unit's collector roller assembly has a significantly steeper angle than the one on the A unit.   Maybe that's what's causing the problem but how do you change it to a flatter angle?  I looked at the diagram of course but not sure how to do it.  Is there a Youtube video or other video somewhere?

I've done the "eyes on the track" thing many times actually, using a flashlight too.  I don't have good vision to begin with but I do see the front roller moves fine and from behind the engine the rear roller looks OK yet something at just beyond the mid-point of the engine is hitting solidly because as I push it forward, it reaches a point where it just hits a wall.  If I force it, it derails.

Oddly, it rolls smoothly and flawlessly on another 1122 near it, either front to back or back to front.  The only difference between the two is one has the auxiliary rail (the one it works on() and the other does not.  I'm thinking about ordering the rail from Brasseur.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.