Skip to main content

Melgar and I are planning to attend the Westchester County Toy & Train Show on Sunday, December 9th, at the County Center in White Plains, NY. We are also having lunch at the City Limits Diner, which is very convenient because it's a short walk across the street from the train show, at 12:30 PM that day.

We would love to meet our fellow Forum members at the luncheon. The more the merrier. We can share a table or two, and discuss the show, the trains, this fantastic Forum, anything else that pops into our heads, and otherwise have a grand time. 

By the way, the City Limits Diner, although not cheap, is a very good diner.

Please reply to let us know if you can attend this Forum luncheon and  get together.

Arnold

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Leroof posted:

Greetings Arnold and company.

I Have to check with work, and family here in Maine and in NYC, but, it's  a long drive that might be worth the time spent.

What time does the show open?

Thanking you for the invitation.

Back to you soon.

Leroof

The Train show is from 9 AM to about 4 PM. Best time to see the trains is in the morning.  Arnold

Nice idea! However, I can't go to lunch because I have a table to cover, doing God's work (selling my book)! 

I would be glad to meet any of you especially those of you who are regular posters on Switcher Saturday.

The show runs from 9am to 3pm...here is the info:http://www.westchestertoytrain.com/ 

This is what my table usually looks like...located around 50% in, slightly to the left of center.

train show

Tom  

Attachments

Images (1)
  • train show
MNCW posted:

Nice idea! However, I can't go to lunch because I have a table to cover, doing God's work (selling my book)! 

I would be glad to meet any of you especially those of you who are regular posters on Switcher Saturday.

The show runs from 9am to 3pm...here is the info:http://www.westchestertoytrain.com/ 

This is what my table usually looks like...located around 50% in, slightly to the left of center.

train show

Tom  

Tom, sorry you can't make the lunch, but its terrific you will be one of the dealers at the show. Maybe those of us who attend will take a coffee break at a particular time at your table, and/or chat with you during or immediately after the show. And, of course, we will also check out your book.  Arnold

Last edited by Arnold D. Cribari

George has posted this on his website (updated 11/3/18):

Note to Customers

In June, I celebrated my 83rd birthday. So now it’s time to slow down and semi-retire. I want to spend more time on my hobbies and with family.

Therefore, my main focus will be my wholesale dealers and the wholesale side of the business.

For my retail customers you will need to send orders priced out using the information on this website. Please note, I will not have time to answer phone calls or email questions. Thanks for your consideration.

He used to be one of the organizers of this particular show. Ever since I started having a table in 2004, I always looked forward to seeing him and getting parts from him. Hope he enjoys his slower lifestyle.  

Tom 

Leroof posted:

Ed,  Arnold Told me George Tebolt retired. 

That is what I told Leroof. I vaguely remember seeing George at the Westchester Toy and Train Show 2 or 3 years ago, he had much fewer parts to sell there, and I think he told me he was selling what he had and would then retire from that business. I remember telling him that when he retires, he can then run his trains for fun full time.

I just Googled George Tebolt and now I'm not sure if Grorge is retired.  George has a train parts website, and it looks like he is still in business taking orders for train parts and shipping them to customers. I also Googled the Westchester Toy and Train Show 2018, and George is listed as one of the people to contact, probably for dealers  interested in renting table space. 

My guess is that George, who is now 83 years old according to the Internet, has others helping him carry on the train parts business and running the train show. 

In my opinion, George was #1 when it comes to train parts, and maybe he still is. Arnold

I can tell by the highly articulate and technical advice often given on this Forum, that many of you are amazing at fixing and restoring trains. 

I have gone to the December Westchester Toy & Train Show for most of the past 25 years. It is almost always well-attended. There, one can find items for the collector connoisseur, items for the scrounger, and items for everyone in between. 

I personally most admire the scrounger, who can resurrect the beaten and battered junk. They can be seen diving under the tables, discerning what has the potential to be brought back to life, and restore and repair with their almost God-like powers.

Come to this December 9th Train Show and Forum luncheon. Keep an eye out for the scrounger!

LOL, Arnold

The scrounged  is possibly identified as, Tall, gentleman in his mid sixties, articulate,  salt and pepper beard, mustache, possible white shirt and tie, rummaging, making under the table deals, carrying bags of viable junk,  uhh it might be...... most of us.

n'est pas Arnold?

but alas, he is right, don't forget to look through the treasure finds below the obviously displayed....

Joe,

I preferred the clientele at George's (I think that was the name?). That was a booming business back then on North Ave. until the street parking was abolished (I guess due to too many fights). I went to Mt. St. Michael's.  The New York Westchester & Boston's original right-of-way wasn't too far away and you can still find remnants of Wykagyl station.  

NewRo-Before-After-WykagylTrainStation

Tom 

Attachments

Images (1)
  • NewRo-Before-After-WykagylTrainStation

I will try to be at the luncheon. Because I don't drive, I have to take subway to Grand Central then train to White Plains, then probably cab to Westchester Center. (I walked it one way last year, and in optimal weather it's about 10-15 minutes.)

All this also limits how much I can buy, because I then have to schlep it back to NYC via the same convoluted system.

Unless, um, someone in NYC could offer me a ride there and, maybe, back?

If this helps anyone...I worked up a rough floor plan for the Westchester County Center Toy & Train Show. Yes, it's rough and I obviously shouldn't give up my day job for graphic arts...

It's very simplified in terms of rows/tables (I probably only have included a fraction of what is normally at the show) and assumes the tables are roughly in the same spots as other shows. Don't let my simplified floor plan discourage you from attending. Depending on vendor turnout, the actual locations of tables for this show may vary slightly. I included where George Teabolt is usually located (not sure if he will be there).

West County Center Floor Plan x

Tom

Attachments

Images (1)
  • West County Center Floor Plan x

Thank you, Tom, for the diagram.

As shown on Tom's diagram, at least 2 Local Hobby Shops will have merchandise for sale at the show, and there will be at least 1, maybe 2 or 3, parts vendors. 

My recollection is that 1 vendor is often there who sells high quality O Scale figures (little people), a few vendors sell American Flyer, and there are many individuals dealers selling O Gauge trains there.

With the  holidays upcoming  there will parents with their kids as well as collectors and operators like us on the hunt. Arnold

MELGAR posted:
Apples55 posted:

I’m a definite maybe   I hope to make it to the show, but I still have one very bad knee, so not sure how long I can stay on my feet. If I can’t make lunch, I hope to run into some of you wandering around the show.

Hope you can make it. Looking forward to meeting you.

MELGAR

That’s very kind,MELGAR... I would enjoy meeting you (and some of the other bad influences on the Forum). In an effort to nudge myself into putting in an appearance, I need to get my car in for a service (I use a dealership in Westchester), so I scheduled it for Monday the 10th, so I have to drive over on Sunday - guess I’ll have to show up - at very least for lunch.

Arnold D. Cribari posted:

T minus 9 days to go.

Trains galore at the 12/9/18 Westchester Toy and Train Show at the County Center in White Plains, NY, and Forum Luncheon at 12:30 that day at the City Limits Diner across the street.

Arnold

Oh no Arnold... I hope you ain’t going to turn this into the Christmas version of Eddie G’s biannual York countdown  

Apples55 posted:

T minus 9 days to go.

Trains galore at the 12/9/18 Westchester Toy and Train Show at the County Center in White Plains, NY, and Forum Luncheon at 12:30 that day at the City Limits Diner across the street.

Arnold

Oh no Arnold... I hope you ain’t going to turn this into the Christmas version of Eddie G’s biannual York countdown  

Great idea, Paul. Thanks for putting that idea into my head. LOL.

Apples55 posted:

T minus 9 days to go.

Arnold

Great idea, Paul. Thanks for putting that idea into my head. LOL.

D1E05F9E-B1AF-4536-B7C3-DDF62E7A3DBB

Attachments

Images (1)
  • D1E05F9E-B1AF-4536-B7C3-DDF62E7A3DBB
coach joe posted:

Will we be trying to meet at the County Center or just say City Limits at 12:30?

Very good question, Coach Joe.

I suggest we meet at 12:15 at the table where Tom (MNCW) is a dealer (see his above replies on this thread), and then we can introduce ourselves, chat for a few minutes, and walk over together to City Limits Diner.

Does that sound like a plan? 

Arnold

coach joe posted:

Will we be trying to meet at the County Center or just say City Limits at 12:30?

I suggest we meet at 12:15 at the table where Tom (MNCW) is a dealer (see his above replies on this thread), and then we can introduce ourselves, chat for a few minutes, and walk over together to City Limits Diner.

Arnold

Might I suggest meeting at Tom’s table at high noon... that way we can take advantage of his implied bribe and take a commemorative photo enshrining our visages for display in the local Post Office  

Apples55 posted:
coach joe posted:

Arnold

Might I suggest meeting at Tom’s table at high noon... that way we can take advantage of his implied bribe and take a commemorative photo enshrining our visages for display in the local Post Office  

That works for me. Arnold

You won't believe this.

In view of the fact that the White Plains Train Station (Harlem Division) is only a 10 minute walk from the County Center where the train show will take place, and City Limits Diner where the Forum luncheon will be, I've arranged to very special trains to run that day.

Specifically, this Penn Central passenger train and Chessie System freight train:

You will be safe if you take the train. Notice how that signal bridge works like a Swiss watch.

Now, you can take the passenger train, but if you really want to have fun, I can arrange for you to have a seat in the caboose of the freight train and sip hot coffee there or, better yet, ride on the roof of one of the box cars!

Attachments

Videos (1)
20181204_075056
RailRide posted:

Ah, the show is on a Sunday. I may well be able to swing on over and check it out. Is there going to be a gathering spot at the show before heading to the diner? I've been to this show plenty of times, but not the diner, (though I've probably seen it many a time since I've traveled home from this show on the Route 20 bus)

---PCJ

Glad you asked, PCJ.

Yes, as mentioned above in this thread, we are meeting at 12 noon at the table of Tom Panettiere (MNCW), who is one of the dealers at the train show. Arnold

T minus 4 days to go, and the weather is looking good:

MTH Railking Pennsy K4 pulling long string of of Postwar operating dump cars. Plenty of coal for our stockings this year.

Great display as always Arnold.  Hopefully you have been good enough not to have black diamonds in yours. I would love to attend the show but the 9 hr drive from NW Ohio is a bit much this time of year. Pics would be cool.

Fendermain

Fendermain posted:

T minus 4 days to go, and the weather is looking good:

MTH Railking Pennsy K4 pulling long string of of Postwar operating dump cars. Plenty of coal for our stockings this year.

Great display as always Arnold.  Hopefully you have been good enough not to have black diamonds in yours. I would love to attend the show but the 9 hr drive from NW Ohio is a bit much this time of year. Pics would be cool.

Fendermain

Totally understandable, maybe one day we will meet at a Forum get-together in York, the Mecca for O Gauge. 

I find the videos you post of your trains running on your layout, Fendermain, to be very charming. Arnold

T MINUS 1 DAY AND COUNTING!

Apollo Flight Controllers, this is Houston, when you know, give me a final Go, No Go, for Lunch (this is where we stand so far):

Arnold (me), Go

Melgar, Go

Bob (RSJB18), Maybe

Coach Joe, Maybe

Leroof, Go (he and his wife are already on their way from the great State of Maine 6+ hours away!)

John (BlueComet400), Go

Tom (MNCW), Go for Show, and where we will be in orbit from 12 to 12:30.

Paul (AppleS55), Maybe

PCJ (Railride), Maybe

Failure is not an option! LOL

Last edited by Arnold D. Cribari

Just back from the White Plains Toy and Train Show... a rather interesting show.

B1BD56A7-FEAE-4006-9BA8-6A1B5A9327AA

A nice mix of modern and PW, die cast, and toys of our youths - a bit of everything from the ridiculous to the sublime (offered for your consideration is a “mint” in original box PW New Haven EP-5 for only $4,250 - I leave it up to you to decide which end of the spectrum this belongs on).

A small group of forumites checked out the show...

D14DA2C4-5A1D-47C8-A0AC-40B0C0AFFB4A

Front row: Mel (MELGAR), Joe (Coach Joe)

Back Row: Paul (Apples55), Pierre (Leroof), Arnold (Arnold D. Cribari), Tom (MNCW), Andy (Silver Lake), Patrick (Train Ride).

Following this memorialization of our attendance, we adjourned across the street to the City Limits Diner for a delightful lunch. A good time was had by all   

Attachments

Images (2)
  • B1BD56A7-FEAE-4006-9BA8-6A1B5A9327AA
  • D14DA2C4-5A1D-47C8-A0AC-40B0C0AFFB4A
RSJB18 posted:

Have to send my regrets guys. Last minute change in plans on the home front.

Hope you all have a good time.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Sorry you couldn't make it, maybe next time. I am ready to pass out on the couch with the dog as I got up around 4:30am (which maybe sounds worse than the usual 5am I get up on weekdays). 

Tom 

Apples55 posted:

Just back from the White Plains Toy and Train Show... a rather interesting show.

B1BD56A7-FEAE-4006-9BA8-6A1B5A9327AA

A nice mix of modern and PW, die cast, and toys of our youths - a bit of everything from the ridiculous to the sublime (offered for your consideration is a “mint” in original box PW New Haven EP-5 for only $4,250 - I leave it up to you to decide which end of the spectrum this belongs on).

A small group of forumites checked out the show...

D14DA2C4-5A1D-47C8-A0AC-40B0C0AFFB4A

Front row: Mel (MELGAR), Joe (Coach Joe)

Back Row: Paul (Apples55), Pierre (Leroof), Arnold (Arnold D. Cribari), Tom (MNCW), Andy (Silver Lake), Patrick (Train Ride).

Following this memorialization of our attendance, we adjourned across the street to the City Limits Diner for a delightful lunch. A good time was had by all   

Yes, it was a good time. It was nice to meet those of you that I had never met before. Paul, thanks for picking up my book. 

Tom 

Today, at the Westchester Toy and Train Show in White Plains, New York, I had the most enjoyable time I've ever had at any train show - and I've been to many. The reason I enjoyed it so much was that we had a group of OGR Forum members, several of whom who traveled a considerable distance to get to the show, who gathered there and then walked across the street and had lunch together. As you might imagine, the discussion was about trains. My thanks to Arnold Cribari for organizing this event. It was great to meet APPLES55 (Paul), COACH_JOE (Joe), RAILRIDE (Patrick), SILVERLAKE (Andy), LEROOF (Pierre) and MNCW (Tom). RAILRIDE purchased the longest boxcar I have ever seen! I purchased a "near mint" Lionel 1615 0-4-0 switcher from the guy who was selling that expensive Lionel EP-5 referred to above. My switcher (see below) was not even remotely close to that price... A pleasure to have met all of you, look forward to seeing you again, and thanks again to Arnold.

MELGAR

MELGAR_LIONEL_1615_12

Attachments

Images (1)
  • MELGAR_LIONEL_1615_12

What a great day.

The train show was the best I've ever attended because I could meet in person the Forum members who attended. Great conversations about trains and other topics and great commraderie.  

Special thanks to Melgar. We became quick friends this past several months, meeting in diners, visiting each other's home layouts and even going to a play with our wives. Mel was my partner in every way in conceiving of, planning and promoting the Forum luncheon.

Everyone seemed to have a great time at the City Limits Diner right across the street from the train show. Great location, great food, but the greatest thing was the conversation and company.

I can just imagine how much fun it is to do Forum get togethers at York, when a big group of us from all over the World can meet.

Leroof and his wife drove 6 and one-half hours from the great State of Maine to attend this White Plains Train Show snd Firum Luncheon. Isn't that awesome!

Finally, thank you to all who attended the show and luncheon, and to those who wanted to be there, but couldn't. You were there in spirit.

Arnold

MNCW posted:
Apples55 posted:

Yes, it was a good time. It was nice to meet those of you that I had never met before. Paul, thanks for picking up my book. 

Tom 

Tom;

Just has a little time to browse thru your book, but you have greatly peeked my interest... I ordered the Vision Line Niagara #6005 (unfortunately it’s back at Lionel at the moment ), but your book has at least two pictures of the 6005, one with the single headlight. Look forward to giving it a more thorough read over the next week or so.

Great meeting you today and thanks for the use of your chair!!!

Wow wee what a weekend! 

This great adventure Started at 10 a.m on Saturday, and just got back home at 11:30 tonight, Sunday.

many thanks to Arnold for making this possible for Susan and I.

it was a spectacular time with new friends, Arnold, Melgar Mel, Andy Silverlake, Coach Joe, RAILRIDE  Patrick, Apples55 Paul, and MNCW Tom, and so many cool people attending the show,  both sides of the tables.     BRAVO to everyone.

WHAT A SHOW!  WHAT A SHARED EXPERIENCE! 

Fendermain, while at the show, you were in my thoughts. Sorry we couldn't share this one bud,  It was awesome! See the photo. Hey, I didn't see a lot of prewar that could keep up with your exquisite stuff! There was however some outrageous MINTY postwar, couldn't believe my eyes! wouldnt even photograph it! But I bought two American flyer for O Gage used but not abused metal bridges, $5 each!  More my speed. Lol. I guess I should start thinking about taking the layout to a second level now.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.