Skip to main content

Hey everyone, 

I'm a 17 year old from Texas, and my local train store (Hobbytown USA) recently closed down. There is no way for me to acquire the money to build this layout, but I have always been interested in trains and love to tinker with designs from time to time.

The layout I have designed is a Fastrack layout whose minimum curve is O48, so that it will accomodate O42 trains without too much overhang. One switch is O72, and there are a few O60 and O72 curves. 

The layout is two layers. The top layer (all green) includes a loop around as well as reversing loops for returning down to the lower level, room for a cliffside yard, and space for potential espansion on the left side of the layout. The bottom layer (green for top, blue for the grade between the two, and yellow for the bottom) consists of a simple reversing loop for returning to the top, with room for expansion via tunnels to create a seperate loop for 2 train operations.

I would appreciate any constructive criticism on the layout, and would be happy for somebody to take this idea and improve on it.BottomTop

Attachments

Images (2)
  • Bottom
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I'm surprised no one has commented? I am not much of a track planner, but it looks like an interesting plan to me. Summer can be pretty slow around here though, everyone is off doing other things.

What software did you use for your design? Maybe posting the actual file along with the pictures would draw some more interest from those that are much better at track planning?

Last edited by rtr12

I also recommend SCARM track planning software, because the 3-D imaging is really good for visualizing multi-level plans. I like the general idea of a circuit with reverse loop on the main level, and a grade to an opposite reverse loop on the upper level. I think the basic plan can be condensed somewhat to make it fit a smaller space.

Omegatron, when I was your age I liked to think up plans that I would have liked to build if I had had the money and space. Plans with wide curves for bigger trains that I didn't have. I had an HO shelf layout but tired of it because of the limited operation.

I designed a 54" x 72" HO layout with a three-lap oval around a mountain, two passing sidings and a wye junction in one corner. 40 years later I am still using this as the "core module" for my main HO layout. So I would like to suggest that perhaps you can design a smaller portable layout that you can actually build and maintain interest in. I have seen good buys on secondhand trains and track at some train shows, so the hobby may be affordable for you via that route. Smaller O-gauge trains on O31 curves can fit in about the same space as typical small HO layouts.

Last edited by Ace
OmegaTron posted:

RTR12,

I used a free program for Mac called RailModeller Express. It's not much, and it only allows 50 pieces of track per model, hence the seperate diagrams. 

I have tried posting the actual file but most modellers don't use a mac computer and I don't think the file would work on windows.

Matt

I didn't realize it was a Mac program. You are right about not many folks here using Macs. As others have stated above SCARM is becoming quite popular around here, it's free and a very capable program. If you like doing this sort of stuff I think it would be worthwhile for you to take a look and try the suggestions above about running it on your Mac?

I know nothing about Macs and I use RR-Track, so I probably won't be able to help. I've looked at SCARM, but have not taken the time to try and learn it. Good luck.

Last edited by rtr12

For $20 I picked up an older but capable laptop computer with XP to run older software that won't run on 64-bit Windows 7 and later versions. It might be easier for you to do that: just run SCARM on MS Windows that it was designed for, if you really want to get involved with SCARM. I think others have encountered various glitches trying to run SCARM on a Mac.

OmegaTron posted:

Hey everyone, 

I'm a 17 year old from Texas, and my local train store (Hobbytown USA) recently closed down. There is no way for me to acquire the money to build this layout,

WOW. For starters for a 17 yr. old this one statement is very disturbing. You have every opportunity to make as much money as you need to build virtually whatever you want. Just two examples:

@ age 12 (1967), I pre-sold water melons (@$1 each) to raise money for a Sears 3 speed bicycle that I really wanted. I planted one plant for every water melon I sold. By the end of the summer, I couldn't give away  water melons in my neighborhood. The vines were stripped and the fruit was piled up in front of my parent's house with a FREE Sign. I got my bicycle with plenty of pocket money to spare.

@ age 17, I cut firewood, grass, shoveled snow, and did virtually every odd job you can name to earn money to get my 1959 Corvette on the road.

Granted, you'll likely never have the opportunity to own a $2500 Corvette. BUT, if you want it, get out there and earn the money to buy it.

Last edited by Gilly@N&W
Gilly@N&W posted:
OmegaTron posted:

Hey everyone, 

I'm a 17 year old from Texas, and my local train store (Hobbytown USA) recently closed down. There is no way for me to acquire the money to build this layout ...

WOW. For starters for a 17 yr. old this one statement is very disturbing. You have every opportunity to make as much money as you need to build virtually whatever you want ...

if you want it, get out there and earn the money to buy it.

I interpreted OmegaTron's statement to mean that the prices of new trains and track are beyond his present means, at least for a layout of that size. Even if he has income from a good job, he is likely to have other expenses of a higher priority. I made the suggestion of looking for good secondhand train items at train shows. When I was his age I was buying Athearn blue-box HO kits for $1.98 each, which was better than an hour's wage at that time.

Last edited by Ace

This isn't the 60's anymore, times have really changed.  My baby brother tried to be industrious in the 00's like you were in the 60's, but either kept getting shut down or no one was willing to use his services.  You dang near have to be licensed, permitted, and bonded to just about do anything anymore.  He gave up as he'd make more money flipping burgers part time due to the cost of trying to due business on his own.

As for the Mac, yes, 3D doesn't work when using PlayOnMac.  As for placing track, it takes a bit to get used to how SCARM works.  Keep at it, I designed my whole layout in it in this manner.  When placing track make sure the track you want to add to has the red arrow on the end, and as for track lining up, there is a setting to allow a certain mismatch to be okay.  But I generally ignore the miss mach on the screen as I've used FasTrack enough to know how much give it has.

Omegatron, I constructed your 8x12 layout idea with SCARM as best I could figure from the not-very-clear png images. What I see is that you did not plan the two levels to fit together. The upper level overshadows too much of the lower level track, even when I shifted part of the upper level track. It requires too many bridges. An 8x12 table is too wide for good access to all parts. The plan needs major re-work to make it practical !  IMO

If the upper and lower levels are constructed flat for simplicity, the connecting grade between them is 3.0% for a 6-inch elevation difference, which is an OK grade.

It's too bad you don't have the SCARM 3-D function on your Mac, because that is one of the best features of SCARM.

FasTrack 8x12-01aFasTrack 8x12-01b

Attachments

Images (2)
  • FasTrack 8x12-01a
  • FasTrack 8x12-01b
Files (1)
Last edited by Ace
OmegaTron posted:

Thanks so much guys! I've been working with SCARM for just a day now and I'm already getting the hang of it. As for the 3D not working, I will likely not post a new picture of the layout plan as it will not really matter. Thanks for all the help!

Matt

If you post the layout file, I'm sure one of us will post a 3D image for you.

Add Reply

The Track Planning and Layout Design Forum is sponsored by

AN OGR FORUM CHARTER SPONSOR

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.