Skip to main content

I have two 4'x8' L shaped tables set up and have a zw running 3 oval and independent runs of track.  I also have four cw80s.  I want to run a polar express on the floor for about a 13'x15' loop.  I have plenty of track, 4
Extra conventional Terminal tracks, and three 36w lionchief wall packs and terminal. I dont Have extra money for another zw. 

Should i add four cw80s and 4 terminal sections spaced evenly apart or should I try to see if the zw will work on a 13x15? 

Or   Should i add the cw80s to the table and try to supplement the zw with
The 36w wall packs?

I guess I could do a bus run but am trying to keep costs to a minimum and was wondering if the lionchiefs would avoid extra purchases.
Thx
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

One CW-80 will run the Polar Express with sufficient power feeds.

Start with four evenly spaced 12, 3, 6 & 9 o'clock and observe if the train slows anywhere. Then add a drop where it slows. (another note on FasTrack to follow)

Use 16awg for the feeds.  You don't really need terminal track as most all of FasTrack has terminals underneath. They may be beneficial floor layout, as they have the wire cut-out in the roadbed.

You can solder the leads to tabs underneath.

There are crimp terminal(.110 quick disconnect terminals) available at an auto store for a quick grab of enough. You could get the 16 primary wire there too.

The Polar Express only draws about two amps of the 5 available in a CW-80 set at full throttle for the LionChief version. The conventional is about the same and runs pretty fast at 7 volts.

leave your current set up as it is.

Last edited by Moonman

The others have covered it pretty well that the cw80 should be more than enough to run one engine.  use two in parallel if you end up needing more power

Mostly I wanted to note for folks, as far as I am aware, you can not use the wall packs with any other transformers as they supply DC power, not the AC conventional transformers do.

You can use as many transformers together as you like, or as many wall packs as you like, but not both to connected tracks.  ( including ones that might be bridged by a locomotive.   

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.