Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

In time for next session of the Maryland General Assembly which will start in January and end 90 days later.  The Assembly has supported #1309 and WMSR before and the Governor has also been a supporter of the RR as well.  While the state money is good, it also brings various strings such as spending plans and reports, which has apparently impacted the schedule.  But any money is good money and perhaps now the RR can manage it better.  It would seem to me the challenge is to convince the politicians they are making progress and there is light at the end of that tunnel. 

And this might be their last chance.   

MD's Republican Governor, a big supporter of economic development in western Maryland will be facing an election in November, 2018 with Democrat opponents from the Baltimore/DC area, who not be so keen to support conservative Western MD.  Maryland is a strong blue state.  Republican Governors usually don't make it past one term, but Gov. Hogan has high support numbers across the voter spectrum.

Bob  

Last edited by bbunge
bbunge posted:

In time for next session of the Maryland General Assembly which will start in January and end 90 days later.  The Assembly has supported #1309 and WMSR before and the Governor has also been a supporter of the RR as well.  While the state money is good, it also brings various strings such as spending plans and reports, which has apparently impacted the schedule.  But any money is good money and perhaps now the RR can manage it better.  It would seem to me the challenge is to convince the politicians they are making progress and there is light at the end of that tunnel. 

And this might be their last chance.   

MD's Republican Governor, a big supporter of economic development in western Maryland will be facing an election in November, 2018 with Democrat opponents from the Baltimore/DC area, who not be so keen to support conservative Western MD.  Maryland is a strong blue state.  Republican Governors usually don't make it past one term, but Gov. Hogan has high support numbers across the voter spectrum.

Bob  

Maybe it would be better for the Governor to ask the AG to see what is going on at that railroad.

Why is this similar to the Boston and Maine 3717 restoration @ Steamtown, and the Pennsy 1361 restoration, also very short on cash.  You would think by now, with several restorations done, cost would be a bit more definitive.  What do I know  

Banking and investment would look at the cash flow available from the tourist railroad v.s. the huge investment.  Probably why you solicit more donations, banking wants nothing to do with this marginal investment. IMO. 

Part of the contractor v.s. do-it-yourself, would be liability, one of the reasons, contractor cost of restoration is high(er).  

Last edited by Mike CT
Mike CT posted:

Why is this similar to the Boston and Maine 3717 restoration @ Steamtown, and the Pennsy 1361 restoration, also very short on cash.  You would think by now, with several restorations done, cost would be a bit more definitive.  What do I know  

Banking and investment would look at the cash flow available from the tourist railroad v.s. the huge investment.  Probably why you solicit more donations, banking wants nothing to do with this marginal investment. IMO. 

Part of the contractor v.s. do-it-yourself, would be liability, one of the reasons, contractor cost of restoration is high(er).  

Most of the funding is in place for 3713.   Don't lump it in with 1361 and 1309 please.

Wowak posted:
Mike CT posted:

Most of the funding is in place for 3713.   Don't lump it in with 1361 and 1309 please.

Absolutely correct! The 3713 "organization" now has VERY competent personnel, and a definite plan/direction. The drivers are currently at the Strasburg Steam Shop for complete rework.

The PRR K4s 1361 is a completely different and disjointed situation, and will probably never operate again.

I would like to see a flow chart using the critical path method. Listing items without such a chart is meaningless. I question the figures. I think the projected numbers in this video are far too low. At the hourly rate for a machinist in Maryland $10,000 goes "poof" in no time. So far, the engineering planning seems to have been by the seat-of-your-pants. I would like to see a written rehabilitation plan by a mechanical engineer familiar with steam engines and the C P M protocol before asking the legislature for money.

Hot Water posted:
Dave Albright posted:

And this video comes from the same guy that "suspended" the restoration only a few weeks ago. Ooh boy...

Not only that, the WMSR got rid of most of their own steam shop workers, in order to use "contractors". thus, the cost of restoration has virtually tripled. Thus, until additional funds are received, not much will be done on 1309.

A decision of which, does not make any sense. If Garner expects to run the locomotive and maintain it with contracted workers, then steam will never be economical and feasible at the WMSR. Firing the steam knowledgeable CMO Kevin Rice was an even dumber move if you ask me...

"Critical Path" boilerplate planning protocols are available for most standard projects but I can't find one for a steam locomotive build. Such "boilerplate" recognizes that you cannot simply say there are "x" number of hours of machining necessary at a rate of "y". Many tasks cannot be performed simultaneously, for example. You may need 2 hours of machining, 10 hours to move the part, another hour of machining, ten days to do something else, then another three hours of machining. CPM is a valuable planning protocol, taking into consideration shipping costs, sequential delays, inspection costs and time-down expenses. I would not authorize a single dollar for rebuild  until a competent engineer prepared a CPM document.

Last edited by Tommy

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.