Skip to main content

I have 2 135 watt Lionel bricks. What do I need to buy to use those for conventional control. I think at least a powermaster and remote but what about a newer legacy powermaster? Do I need just a remote or a remote and base? I am not using the bricks now and want to put them to use. They are off an old remake of a zw.

thanks

dogdoc

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Since I'm sure that many will jump in with the more complex and more-often-found hand-held remote solutions I thought that I suggest the trivial one first.

Way back when TMCC was introduced in order to take advantage of 135 Watt bricks for conventional operators they were also offered in conjunction with what was called a "PowerStation".  This was/is a table-top throttle that when connected to a 135 brick makes a nice "transformer" set for traditional (non-command) operation.

Look for a 6-12938. 

The problem is, in your situation, that a 6-12938 includes BOTH the throttle (PowerStation) and brick (PowerHouse 135).  Since you already have the bricks you just need the throttles.  They may be hard to find separately since they were never originally sold separately, only in together with a brick.

Having said this I have seen them available at a number of train shows over the last several years--in spite of the fact that they did not seem very popular in their day, or presently for that matter.  (It appears to be the case that almost everyone bought bricks separately for command control, instead of together with PowerStations for conventional use.)

Mike

Attachments

Images (1)
  • PowerStation-PowerHouse 135 (6-12938)

Think of the ZW-C as four PowerMasters...

Option 1 - CAB-1 & a PM-1 for each brick. No Base needed.

Option 2 - Legacy remote, CAB1-L or CAB-1, with a Command base, (Base 1,LEGACY Command Base, or LEGACY BASE-1L) & a Legacy PowerMaster for each brick.

Option 3 - the DCS method - DCS remote with TIUs and a Command Base - bricks powering through the TIUs.

and other permutations as well.

Last edited by ADCX Rob
ADCX Rob posted:
Mellow Hudson Mike posted:
..."PowerStation"...    (It appears to be the case that almost everyone bought bricks separately for command control, instead of together with PowerStations for conventional use.)

Those PowerStation sets were ridiculously expensive, I'm surprised they sold any even though I have somehow accumulated two sets.

So will just a remote(cab1 ,cab1l, or legacy remote work with only a powermaster. No base needed? Just remote and powermaster ? I still have the old zw postwar celebration and was told by someone years ago that the board was bad but after reading post here it may just be bad mosfet. I need to figure out to test as I have a fluke meter with diode test and others.  maybe I will dig it out and pick some brains on this forum. 😀I enjoy trying to figure out more than running trains(sometimes😁)

thanks

dogdoc

If you want to go the cheap route, buy the old TMCC PowerMaster and the CAB1, that's all you need to control one track.

I personally wouldn't recommend that avenue, I'd start with at least the BASE1L/CAB1L set and one or more Legacy PowerMasters.  They are a much better unit and will give you better control than the old PowerMaster.  You also now have TMCC capability.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.