Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Jameco.com is my goto site for wall warts and other power supplies when I need a specific voltage and amperage, but I usually root through my collection of wall warts from discarded computer equipment.  IIRC, US Robotics modems used 14 vac.  If 12 vac works, security alarm power supplies are good as they have screw terminals.

The Lionel 1011 (and similar) transformers allow voltage trimming and can be found at bargain prices.  Other than 5vdc regulated (or 4.5vdc unregulated) warts to light up Miller signs, I rely on a collection of Lionel transformers for accessory power.

Can you separate the wiring of accessories that can run on DC (e.g., lights) from those that require AC (e.g., vibrator mechanisms).  I see from your other post that you have a Z4000; when you get that 14V AC port running note that it is rated for 3 Amps.  That's "only" 42 Watts = 14 Volts x 3 Amps.

The cost and size of O-gauge accessory-compatible wall-warts for AC vs. DC is interesting.  Photo from a previous OGR thread:

ac dc brick comparison with inset

An MTH Z-1000 brick can deliver 14V AC at 80 Watts.  Cost about $1 per Watt.  Weighs over 5 lbs.

A generic universal DC output laptop charger can deliver 90 Watts - with selectable DC voltage using a slide selector switch and LED to indicate selected voltage.  Cost about 10 cents per Watt.  Weighs under 0.5 lbs.  

Of course you can find a suitable inexpensive AC output train transformer at a show or swap meet where the weight takes shipping cost out of the equation.  But you have to put it somewhere.  

Note that it's "modern" semiconductor electronics which enables the compact conversion of wall-outlet AC to low-voltage DC.  AC-output train transformers and bricks continue to use heavy/bulky brute-force iron-core transformers to step down the voltage.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • ac dc brick comparison with inset
Last edited by stan2004

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.