Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

16 ga Speaker Wire 

TrainHead posted:

Can you use this and is the best solution for wiring a layout?

Yes, you can use it.

Is it best?

That depends on many variables. How many amps? How long is each wire run? Do you run with smoke on? Do you have pass cars with regular light bulbs?

If you look at a wire chart, it will show you amp capacity vs length. The longer the wire run, the less capacity.

So if you stay less than say 25 feet, and/ or run less than 3 engines and no regular light pass cars, you are fine.

Image result for wire gauge chart

There is basically an amps per foot formula to be figured out. So....

#1 biggest train you will ever run, what will the amp draw be? (Lights in passenger cars+engine+track powered turnout switches and accesories)

#2 present power supply,(max amps to be availible)

#3 the distance. 

Or skip.right to the fat stuff for a bus, then do drops off it with lighter wire. 

I'll look for an AWG* wire chart later  if I get a chance, but a search will find one too. It's very common info. I bet wikapedia has one.(*American Wire Gauge)

Adriatic posted:

#1 biggest train you will ever run, what will the amp draw be? (Lights in passenger cars+engine+track powered turnout switches and accesories)

#3 the distance. 

Or skip.right to the fat stuff for a bus, then do drops off it with lighter wire. 

I'll look for an AWG* wire chart later  if I get a chance, but a search will find one too. It's very common info. I bet wikapedia has one.(*American Wire Gauge)

Seems like 14ga lines with 16ga feeders to the track about every 5 sections of Gargraves will handle the most amp load one is going to see with these trains.

Kerrigan posted:
Adriatic posted:

#3 the distance. 

Seems like 14ga lines with 16ga feeders to the track about every 5 sections of Gargraves will handle the most amp load one is going to see with these trains.

For modern trains, could be. But my PW Hudson and a string of passenger cars would get it warm at least. Alone it peaks at 5.5a no load (Peak, not continuous. I think it draws 3.5 cont. (been a few years) It will make an 80w modern transformer blink out on heavy thottle with freight). Now think PW ABA with 3-6 motors. Plus he didn't say what he ran.

Really, ideally, most safely, you should wire(anything) to match the max output of the power supply. Otherwise a direct short (derail) could cook your feeds before a breaker might trip.

If you use lighter wire than the max. transformer output, ideally a fuse or breaker rated at less than the wire's capacity should be added anywhere before that wire.

once again, people are viewing this completely wrong...

16 gauge wire can handle over 20 amps in open air wiring which is more than twice what any sane modeler could possibly require.  the AWG tables are typically based on transmission line wiring where a 3% voltage drop is their standard for specifying size.

the problem you need to look at when you up the amperage, is dealing with a voltage drop.  16g copper wire has a resistance of about 0.4 ohms /100 ft.  most of my trains draw well under 2amps.  given a maximum run of ~20', this is a voltage drop of less than 1 volt.  what i tend to do with wiring from the transformer to the track is to make all the run lengths about equal length.  sure i get a small voltage drop, but this is consistent throughout the layout powered from a transformer which i never crank up to 100% anyway.

now lets address the mechanics.  every try to solder 12 or 14 gauge wire to the track or any connectors that aren't the size of your fist?  voltage drops also occur at every connection you make.  16 gauge wire is the idea size for most small connectors and switches.

just my opinion based on a few decades of practical experience.
cheers...gary

Gary, like everyone else, you are entitled to your opinion, and on your layout, do whatever you wish.

My opinion is based on 70+ years of running model trains.  Using heavy trains with lighting, and even with short blocks, I find that anything less than 14-gauge produces unacceptable voltage drop.  A drop of 2 volts in a house is meaningless.  On a layout, it is unacceptable.

overlandflyer posted:

16 gauge wire can handle over 20 amps in open air wiring which is more than twice what any sane modeler could possibly require.  the AWG tables are typically based on transmission line wiring where a 3% voltage drop is their standard for specifying size.

the problem you need to look at when you up the amperage, is dealing with a voltage drop.  16g copper wire has a resistance of about 0.4 ohms /100 ft.  most of my trains draw well under 2amps.  given a maximum run of ~20', this is a voltage drop of less than 1 volt.  what i tend to do with wiring from the transformer to the track is to make all the run lengths about equal length.  sure i get a small voltage drop, but this is consistent throughout the layout powered from a transformer which i never crank up to 100% anyway.

now lets address the mechanics.  every try to solder 12 or 14 gauge wire to the track or any connectors that aren't the size of your fist?  voltage drops also occur at every connection you make.  16 gauge wire is the idea size for most small connectors and switches.

cheers...gary

sane modeler where,? WHO

overlandflyer posted:
....  what i tend to do with wiring from the transformer to the track is to make all the run lengths about equal length.  sure i get a small voltage drop, but this is consistent throughout the layout powered from a transformer which i never crank up to 100% anyway. ...
RJR posted:
....  A drop of 2 volts in a house is meaningless.  On a layout, it is unacceptable.

how would you notice a 2 volt drop between your transformer and every point on the layout?  of course on a 18-20 vac transformer you'd have to reduce your top speed from 120 to ~90 mph, but other than that if it really bothers you, scratch off the 20v marking and pencil in 18v, ... etc.

model railroading is fun!
cheers...gary

fastman posted:
overlandflyer posted:
...16 gauge wire can handle over 20 amps in open air wiring which is more than twice what any sane modeler could possibly require.  ...

sane modeler where,? WHO

i use 8a breakers on my transformer outputs.
frankly i even consider an 8a draw outside my comfort zone.

also consider that LEDs are the future (and even retrofitting) of interior lighting.

overlandflyer posted:
overlandflyer posted:
....  what i tend to do with wiring from the transformer to the track is to make all the run lengths about equal length.  sure i get a small voltage drop, but this is consistent throughout the layout powered from a transformer which i never crank up to 100% anyway. ...
RJR posted:
....  A drop of 2 volts in a house is meaningless.  On a layout, it is unacceptable.

how would you notice a 2 volt drop between your transformer and every point on the layout?  of course on a 18-20 vac transformer you'd have to reduce your top speed from 120 to ~90 mph, but other than that if it really bothers you, scratch off the 20v marking and pencil in 18v, ... etc.

model railroading is fun!
cheers...gary

running equal length feeds doesn't make sense; on a moving loco,the distance to any feed wire, changes constantly as the loco moves around the layout. Every feed wire is contributing some current all the time you should not experience any voltage drops with enough feeds. hope this helps

Fastman, for maximum control when operating conventional, it is a good idea to have many short-length toggle-switch-controlled blocks.  This permits operating several trains on a single transformer handle and stretch of track.  If one train overtakes another, you can stop it alone, or uses various means to slow it.  Also, you can keep one train stopped while using others.  However, you will normally only have one feed per block.

Adriatic posted:
Kerrigan posted:
Adriatic posted:

#3 the distance. 

For modern trains, could be. But my PW Hudson and a string of passenger cars would get it warm at least. Alone it peaks at 5.5a no load (Peak, not continuous. I think it draws 3.5 cont. (been a few years) It will make an 80w modern transformer blink out on heavy thottle with freight). Now think PW ABA with 3-6 motors. Plus he didn't say what he ran.

Really, ideally, most safely, you should wire(anything) to match the max output of the power supply. Otherwise a direct short (derail) could cook your feeds before a breaker might trip.

If you use lighter wire than the max. transformer output, ideally a fuse or breaker rated at less than the wire's capacity should be added anywhere before that wire.

We've run a really REALLY long passenger train from the 1960's with multi-powered units on the front and the circuit breaker finally tripped at 10 amps going up a long hill but the wire never got warm.

overlandflyer posted:

cheers...gary

Solder the 16ga to the underside of the rail with a solder slug which melts down into the rail and holds the wire.  Won't pull out if done well.  And you don't see the wire on the top of the table next to the track ...

overlandflyer posted:
fastman posted:
overlandflyer posted:
...16 gauge wire can handle over 20 amps in open air wiring which is more than twice what any sane modeler could possibly require.  ...

sane modeler where,? WHO

i use 8a breakers on my transformer outputs.
frankly i even consider an 8a draw outside my comfort zone.

also consider that LEDs are the future (and even retrofitting) of interior lighting.

I'm considering opening up my PowerMaster from ROW and replacing the 8amp breakers with 10 or 12 amp.  The designer of it said it would handle it no problem.

Add Reply

The Track Planning and Layout Design Forum is sponsored by

AN OGR FORUM CHARTER SPONSOR

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.