Skip to main content

I have this unmouted set of10 steam engine wheels w/ a 1.737" tread diameter.  Six of the wheels are loose and have 17 spokes.

The four blind wheels have 11 oval slotted disk centers mounted on axels with  square keyed mounting blocks and 25+/- slightly angled teeth on both blind wheel axels. One pair of the driving wheels have a  slotted crank pin, the other pair of geared driving wheels have a pressed in threaded steel insert.  (Maybe due to missing crank pins??)

Any idea of the application?

Last edited by Tom Tee
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

He probably saw the post in that list on the right.  An easy assumption is that most O Gauge is Lionel.

Two different sets.  I would say the spokes are Sunset.  The other two pairs are Baldwin Disc, set up for an import like USH or Sunset.  They could be Sunset as well - few steamers ever mixed the Baldwins with spokes (the K4 did).  A lot mixed Box Pok or Scullin Disc.

Oh - the diameter is close to 80", so they could well be leftover K4 parts.  The counterweights are "straight", which is a PRR exclusive, almost.  Tread width might be a giveaway - Sunset stuck with .158 for a long time.

and spokes? A question for Hot.  I bet it has to do with dynamic balance and rail pounding.

@Tom Tee posted:

Because 17 spokes are correct for certain prototypes.  Tom Mix would solder 17 individual spokes together over an aluminum jig when the job called for it.

I was referring to the prototype when I asked why would a designer would use 17 spokes.

15 spokes equals 24 degree--16 spokes equals 22.5 degrees -- 18 spokes equals 20 degrees---all easy measures.

17 spokes is not an easy measure of 360 degrees---so I was asking why choose that?

Last edited by GVDobler

It isn't as simple as dividing the number of spokes desired into 360 Deg's.

The number of needed spooks is also governed by the dia of hub, dia of wheel, Material and spokes width.

The material (compressive strength) and diameter of the spokes need to be known.

The total wheel weight should be less than the total compressive strength of the spokes.

Last edited by Allegheny
@GVDobler posted:

I was referring to the prototype when I asked why would a designer would use 17 spokes.

15 spokes equals 24 degree--16 spokes equals 22.5 degrees -- 18 spokes equals 20 degrees---all easy measures.

17 spokes is not an easy measure of 360 degrees---so I was asking why choose that?

To save weight. And to avoid a very short spoke directly on top of the side rod bearing. I would suggest that they found out some day about a tendency of stress breaks . All these parts are super heavy and hammer around a lot at higher speeds.

Last edited by Sarah

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.