Skip to main content

Made an edit based on Pete's comment.I have all my track spurs connected to toggle switches so I can turn power on or off (park engines). I use lighted track bumpers as indicators for power to the track.

I have a few Lionel lighted track bumpers. These bumpers accept a screw in bulb. When I contacted Lionel about replacement bulbs for dead lamps I was told that the lamps are rated for 12 volts and so would have short lives on command control powered track (18 volts).

So instead of buying more 12 volt lamps I did an internet search for 18 volt. I came up empty on a screw in type that would fit the existing socket. However I have a whole bunch of Lionel track bumpers with no lights (just the hole at the top of the bumper).

This is what I came up with:
Parts needed -
1. Circuit Concepts CK1010-33B 18V Large GOW Bulb - Red
2. Lionel or any other track bumper (see below).
3. Atlas O track joiners (for my stuff), or pins for other track brands.
4. Plastruct SX-4 pipe clip flange

If you have the Lionel bumper the hole already exists - it is 3/16" diameter. The SX-4 will fit into it. I painted the normally brown bumper flat black along with the SX-4

18 volt lamps for bumpers 001

Picture above shows the unpainted bumper and pipe flange inserted in the hole. If your bumpers don't have a hole drill one with a 3/16 drill bit. Do not glue in the SX-4.

Next cut the leads to length for the 18V lamp.

18 volt lamps for bumpers 00518 volt lamps for bumpers 006

For Atlas O track or even Ross / Gargraves thread the lamp through the SX-4 and then solder to Atlas O joiners. For all tubular track you can also solder to track pins. Avoid soldering straight to the track so down the line you can replace the bulbs. The track joiners will fit through the 3/16 dia. hole. Simply thread the joiners through the drilled hole and seat the bulb / flange.

18 volt lamps for bumpers 002

Once completed you are ready to go with an 18V lamp.

18 volt lamps for bumpers 004

In addition to the Lionel bumpers I have custom built bumpers I designed in plastic and in wood. I simply drilled the 3/16 inch hole and followed the above procedure.

18 volt lamps for bumpers 007

If you would like to build the plastic or wood bumpers go to -

http://www.modelstructuresinc....truct-community.html

Go down the page until you see Wood and Plastic Bumpers and click on the blue link.

Joe

Attachments

Images (6)
  • 18 volt lamps for bumpers 001
  • 18 volt lamps for bumpers 005
  • 18 volt lamps for bumpers 006
  • 18 volt lamps for bumpers 002
  • 18 volt lamps for bumpers 004
  • 18 volt lamps for bumpers 007
Last edited by Joe Fauty
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Avanti posted:

I usually power bumper lights from a 12vdc accessory circuit.

Pete:

Thanks - I had forgotten to mention I have all my spurs on toggle switches. I am using the bumper lights to indicate whether power is on or off to that particular spur. I just edited the original post to mention this. The Lionel bumpers with lights use leaf springs for power ground connections. With Atlas O / Ross track the connection to the power leaf spring was always iffy at best. The leaf spring never seemed to be able to go down far enough to make good contact with the rail. I am going to eventually replace all the Lionel bumpers with my designs as I have time.

Aurther -Überstationmeister is correct the base is E5.

Rick: sounds like you are using the same style bulbs I am.

Joe

Last edited by Joe Fauty
Überstationmeister posted:
Arthur P. Bloom posted:

http://www.bulbtown.com/432_Mi...b_E10_Base_p/432.htm

Don't know why you came up empty. I found this one in about ten seconds of searching.

The plastic bumpers are E5 base. I have only ever seen 1.5V, 3V, 6V or 12V bulbs in this size.

Town & Country has them as an 18v calling them an LGB bulb E5 "midget". I purchased some generics from my LHS and painted them with a few coats of somebody's translucent red paint. They are not as deep red, but they look ok and will last longer that the one that comes in the Lionel bumper. I run command with 18v.

I drilled laterally in the base of the tubular set , drilled through the rail laterally and pinned it to the rail of FasTrack to keep the contacts touching. used a brad or something small for the pin.

Nice job, Joe, We all get there one way or another.

Model Structures posted:
Avanti posted:

I usually power bumper lights from a 12vdc accessory circuit.

Pete:

Thanks - I had forgotten to mention I have all my spurs on toggle switches. I am using the bumper lights to indicate whether power is on or off to that particular spur.

Actually, you can still use 12VDC in that configuration. Just connect one side (doesn't matter which one) of the DC power supply to the track circuit before the toggle switches. Then feed the other side to all the lights. That way, the toggle switches will switch BOTH the track power and the separate DC light circuits.

A lot of people don't realize that a AC and a DC circuit can share the same common. This allows you to do all kinds of useful switching and control stuff.

Last edited by Avanti

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.