Skip to main content

Recently I purchased a 182 Magnetic Gantry Crane in really good condition.  Over the last month the Crane has worked exceptionally well.  All components worked perfectly.  Last night the red bulb in the cab burned out.  I didn't have an 18 volt bulb to replace it at the time.  In any event, I continued to play with it without the bulb but when I attempted to energize the magnet it would not operate.  My question is, in order for the magnet to be energized is it necessary to have a working bulb to complete the circuit and power the magnet?  Everything else works fine.  It moves right and left and up and down very smoothly.  If the circuit does not need a working bulb for the magnet to be energized might the magnet itself be burned out?  Sorry, but I'm not much of an electrician so any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The bulb is wired in parallel to the magnet so it does not have to light for the magnet to work. Usually if you leave the magnet on too long, the bulbs were known to melt or distort the cab roof. Perhaps the bulb is not blown, but the contact in the controller needs cleaning and adjustment. It may explain why both the bulb and the magnet are not working.

Originally Posted by bigo426:

The bulb is wired in parallel to the magnet so it does not have to light for the magnet to work. Usually if you leave the magnet on too long, the bulbs were known to melt or distort the cab roof. Perhaps the bulb is not blown, but the contact in the controller needs cleaning and adjustment. It may explain why both the bulb and the magnet are not working.

Thanks bigo426.  The bulb is definitely gone.  I tested it and its no go.  It appears to be the original so its pretty darned old.  I'll check out the controller and see if I have any luck there.   What about the magnet itself?  Due to its age and use could it be burned out?

Originally Posted by OKHIKER:
Originally Posted by bigo426:

Thanks bigo426.  The bulb is definitely gone.  I tested it and its no go.  It appears to be the original so its pretty darned old.  I'll check out the controller and see if I have any luck there.   What about the magnet itself?  Due to its age and use could it be burned out?

Cleaned the contact in the controller.  Checked to make sure everything was tight.  No adjustment appeared to be necessary.  Magnet still will not energize.  Anything else I should look for?

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.