Skip to main content

See news story in following link.

If MTH and Lionel ship containers loaded with their products over the Chinese Yiantian International Container Terminals at the port of Shenzhen, some of our orders showing December shipping dates may be on the bottom of the Pacific.

Curt

https://www.offshore-energy.bi...iners-from-one-apus/

Last edited by juniata guy
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I picked up a load of hazardous chemicals in NJ once, the plastic blue drums were all wet. I called the trucking company office and told them that it looks like the drums were leaking. They weren't leaking, they were thawing out. This load of chemicals was in a freezer container across the ocean, it had to be frozen when on the water. If the container fell off the ship, the chemical would stay frozen at the bottom of the ocean. This stuff was highly toxic, flammable, corrosive, breathing in fumes would result in death, burn your skin off if the liquid touched it.

The short answer to Peter's question is that until the ship gets to port (in this case returns to port in a week or so) and they catalog and inspect the containers left, they will not know which containers are missing. Further, the shipping company may only know the name of the freight forwarder and not the actual name of the company that filled the containers or will receive the containers. Some of that might appear in customs documents, but a container of model trains may be listed as some "generic" contents for customs purposes. For example, a container of power tools may be described as that. It will not say whether the tools are drills, saws, sanders, etc. Additionally, there would often be tools with various product labels. Even if the container is listed as containing toy trains, since it would be shipped by a factory to a customs broker at the port, MTH/Lionel would  not know for sure what is missing.

The consignees Insurance Company is probably most interested since the money has likely transferred under a "letter of credit" once the items were shipped.

Some of those TEU's will or should have tracking units installed.The ones carrying hazardous will most likely have them. The real danger now is to other vessels that strike the half submerged ones.

Fishing vessels and small craft will not stand a chance if they strike one. The ones that wash up ashore will probably not contain anything use able by the salvors.

Gunny

The short answer to Peter's question is that until the ship gets to port (in this case returns to port in a week or so) and they catalog and inspect the containers left, they will not know which containers are missing. Further, the shipping company may only know the name of the freight forwarder and not the actual name of the company that filled the containers or will receive the containers. Some of that might appear in customs documents, but a container of model trains may be listed as some "generic" contents for customs purposes. For example, a container of power tools may be described as that. It will not say whether the tools are drills, saws, sanders, etc. Additionally, there would often be tools with various product labels. Even if the container is listed as containing toy trains, since it would be shipped by a factory to a customs broker at the port, MTH/Lionel would  not know for sure what is missing.

The consignees Insurance Company is probably most interested since the money has likely transferred under a "letter of credit" once the items were shipped.

Thank you....Peter

Yes indeed; I am certainly glad no one was injured!!!!

When seeing photographs of loaded container ships either in port or at sea, I have often wondered how they withstand heavy storms.  I had thought that the the containers may be linked to each other in the stack and adjacent stacks, but it doesn't look like it from the photograph of the dumped over containers.

I am waiting on a 6-pack of Premier Western Maryland 2-bay hoppers and two AIUs, but was not expecting them until well into next year anyway.  Also, with the question marks about the future of MTH, I am prepared for them to not ever arrive.

As an aside, I see there are some loads of K-Line trains in that jumble of containers in the above photograph! 

If there is any MTH on that ship, you can probably kiss that order good bye.

More likely, if these are consumer goods, they would be items for sale in the spring. So patio furniture etc.

A little research on Statista shows that there are 17,000 general cargo ships in the world. The number of “ship losses” per year of container ships is 39. They didn’t define what a ship loss is. I would assume mostly stuff overboard and not a sunk ship.

So the chances that your train order was on that ship seems like, a spit in the ocean? (Rim shot)

Last edited by ChiTown Steve
@Dave Zucal posted:

1900 container lost. How many can one of these ships carry? I often wondered why they stack them so high above deck. Not only do waves tip a boat to the side, but the wind does too. The higher their stacked, the lower the wind speed needed to tip it.

Quick research indicates a container ship can carry anywhere between 12,000-20,000 40' foot containers, depending on its size.  If containers were all below deck, the hull would have to be so deep I doubt the draft would clear the bottom of many ports.

Rusty

A ship loss is just that, the loss of the ship.  Most are “foundered”, sunk or submerged.  41 ship losses in 2019.

ADDED: Some interesting reading at Containers Lost At Sea - 2020 Update.  In 2019 226 million containers were shipped, with a recent yearly average of only 779 lost.  I’d say there is a good chance our trains were not part of this recent loss.

Last edited by CAPPilot

Frank:

Years ago I had a chartered vessel loaded with potash headed to a three port discharge in Canada - Charlottetown, Montreal and Hamilton. When we completed loading in Houston, the captain offered me the chance to ride along.  Knowing my wife would kill me if I said yes, I thanked him for the offer but declined. That ship got caught in what we now know as the perfect storm.

I flew to Charlottetown ahead of the vessel’s scheduled arrival and spent close to a week holed up in the hotel awaiting its arrival. When the ship finally arrived, I thanked God I hadn’t said yes to the ride along.  The ship’s hatch covers were buckled from the force of the waves; rails along the deck were twisted and one of the onboard cranes had been lost.

I don’t mind some excitement from time to time but, that would clearly have been way more than I was looking for.

Curt

Last edited by juniata guy

They use the same gravity that railroads us to hold containers down.  Obviously, the gravity was defective.

Well, not quite.  The containers are secured the same way they are on double-stack cars and tractor trailers, with Twistlocks.  However, in extreme conditions and with heavy containers all stacked, they don't always do a perfect job.

Last edited by gunrunnerjohn

Well, not quite.  The containers are secured the same way they are on double-stack cars and tractor trailers, with Twistlocks.  However, in extreme conditions and with heavy containers all stacked, they don't always do a perfect job.

Wow! You learn something new everyday! I did not know that and always wondered. I suppose I could have looked it up, but never really had the interest. Thanks John!

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.