Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Dobermann, that IP address is a class C network which is an internal IP address on a home network. If it's on an internal device within your network then my question to you would be would be what is your home network addressing?

By default most folks are on a 192.168.1.x network and if your on that then 192.168.143.1 will not resolve. 

What is the IP address of a computer, phone, tablet, etc... in your house?

BNSF-Matt posted:

Dobermann, that IP address is a class C network which is an internal IP address on a home network. If it's on an internal device within your network then my question to you would be would be what is your home network addressing?

By default most folks are on a 192.168.1.x network and if your on that then 192.168.143.1 will not resolve. 

ok, it seems to me that you have to access the unit wirelessly to enter the LuCI. You first have to disconnect the TIU cable/wired network cable to isolate the unit. Then look for the wireless network MTH_DCS-XXXX. Join that network. Then type the 192.168.143.1 into your browser.

Page attached. Change the title of your post to get Barry and the other guys to see your problem.   can't connect to WiFi LuCI

Attachments

I'm following the directions for LUCI

Correct, that is what I was referring to.  But you're not if you're going through your home netwrok.

To upgrade firmware, it says you must use the MTH network, not the home network.  (Full manual, page 9, #2 at top).  My laptop addresses the WIU directly, without going through the home network

To upgrade firmware, it says you must use the MTH network, not the home network.

Although that's what the manual states, you do not need to be on the WIU's MTH network to access LuCI. You just need to know the WIU's IP Address.

The address supplied in the instructions are what you'd use if the WIU is in MTH mode, since that's its default IP Address. I signed static IP Addresses to al 3 of my WIUs before updating them. Now, to update their firmware, I just power them on and browse to their assigned addresses.

Barry or RJR (or anyone else that knows),

I don't have a PC that has Wifi. Can you connect to a WIU using a network cable connection or do you have to connect using only WiFi? Seems like a cable connection should work also work? I am still waiting on my WiFi unit, or I would just try it myself. If it's Wifi only, I will get an adapter my computer.

I don't have a PC that has Wifi. Can you connect to a WIU using a network cable connection or do you have to connect using only WiFi?

Yes, you can. I used it that way for a while and it works fine.

Put the WIU into MTH mode, plug in the Ethernet cable between the WIU and you router, plug in the USB cable between the TIU and the WIU, and then power on the WIU.

Last edited by Barry Broskowitz

Robert,

The instructions also say:

• Wait 3 minutes because LuCI doesn't ever tell you that the firmware upgrade is completed
  • You must use MTH mode
  • You have to use WiFi.

All of he above are untrue, just like the urban myth that one must disconnect all cables from a TIU before upgrading its software.

Read everything, however, don't believe that what's written is the only way something can work.

Last edited by Barry Broskowitz
dobermann posted:
BNSF-Matt posted:

As BNSF-matt said 192.168.1.x will not talk to 192.168.143.x.  It needs to be another 192.168.1. address.

Just figured it out the ethernet cable worked fine between computer and MTH WIU.

On the ip address shown in the top of this post I had tried for a couple of hours to use it and read lots of the various posts and MTH instructions on various devices with no success. Eventually I clicked on "this pc" on my desk top (my computer) on older systems, then network on the bottom left of the window, it showed the laptop or your computer on the network then double clicked on  "network infrastructure" this is the router or home wi fi hub I guess, this brought up a page that showed my devices that were allowed or currently on our home network. The MTH Wiu showed the following bottom of my post here;  I used this # instead of the MTH provided # it connected signed in and it worked like a charm for the download for the wiu updated.

One problem that I had with the tablet is that it would not download the MTH update from the internet and found that it kept dropping from the network and instead connecting to the MTH wiu instead.

mthdcs-3604

Connected

Barry Broskowitz posted:

Marty,

I did mine last night via wireless. The only oddity is when it disconnects I assume while rebooting. I have to reconnect. Everything came back fine. 

That's standard procedure for any network device that has its firmware updated.

Yep. I just have too many other wireless signals the PC tries to connect to when the connection drops. I'll be doing Imperials later today. 

Hi all.  

To be clear, the instructions do not say "must" or "only" relative to using MTH mode or Wi-Fi to update the WIU firmware.  Also, in the initial firmware release, LuCI doesn't leave the "system flashing" screen.  Ever.  Kinda goofy if you ask me.  We just chose to live with it to get it out sooner.  Don't worry, we know better.

Please understand that our objective is always to try and keep the scope of options narrow and use what we believe may be the most universal and understandable approach to tasks like updating firmware.  Of course, the WIU is essentially a custom purposed Wi-Fi router.  Most all normal Wi-Fi protocols and practices still work and apply.  But, why explain all possible ways to update firmware and potentially confuse some when we can just provide a simple and direct path that gets the job done?  Those more knowledgeable in Wi-Fi networking will figure out the rest as evidenced in this thread.  And, we sincerely appreciate those of you sharing your knowledge.  Thanks.

Like the entire Wi-Fi DCS system, LuCI will also continue to improve.  You may have noticed how plain and utilitarian she is.  Well, she's going to get a makeover and become much more attractive and easier to talk to.  Here's a thought.....after being notified within your DCS app that a WIU firmware update is available why not just tap a button and  follow simple onscreen instructions and be done?  They call them smart devices for a reason.  

Standby.  Lots more to come.....

Hey Barry,

I read the directions as well, page 11 which was posted, when I type in the 192.168.143.1 times out constantly or the site cannot be reached. 

Nothing I have done for 6 hours gets me passed this on my laptop. 

I typed that into my iPhone 6 browser and get to the the bottom of page 11, when it asks for you in item 6 to choose a file ...... what the heck do you do next?

On my next attempt Safari could not open the page because the server stopped responding. 

Shall I continue to bang my head against the wall? 

So the system made me look like a fool. Got a beer, flipped on the NY Ranger vs. Ottawa

I disconnected everything, started from scratch and low and behold 192.168.143.1 went live and I got in to LuCL and it now says

Page 12 - You Should Now see the 

System Flashing Screen

The System is flashing now

DO NOT POWER OFF THE DEVICE!

Wait a few minutes before you try to reconnect. It might be necessary to renew the address of your computer to reach the device again, depending on your settings.  

So how do I know that?

Below that. It says

Loading - Waiting for changes to be applied.

How long does that take and how do I know if it has completed the "upgrade."

Is this the 3 minute wait time

Kevin

Last edited by PSU1980

I just documented what I did in my short hand the key appears the order you log on to the wireless networks.

1. Disconnect from your home netwotk - Fios, Cablevision or whatever provider you have (Mine is Fios)

2. The directions appear to be correct - log onto the MTH WI FI network. 

3. Connect to your home network,  open the browser and type in 192.168.143.1

4. Connected immediately to LuCI.

5. Select the tab and make the changes.

I tried this 5 times over the past 60 minutes and got right to the Application.

Not sure if this is helpful, but it seemed to work.

K

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.