Skip to main content

Good afternoon. I am currently borrowing a friend’s legacy J and noticed the main smoke unit was buzzing way to loud. I went ahead and lubed the fan blade but now it is no longer responding. When I turn on track power both smoke units instantly start blowing smoke without my command. I have tried to reprogram it and it does not respond. Nothing looks to be loose inside. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

Videos (1)
trim.951C1B71-F615-4CFF-9ABF-2CB4C383CCB2
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@BillYo414 posted:

I had this symptom once when I had my 0-6-0T apart. I plugged a plug into the wrong slot. It was a two pin plug I think.

Did you unplug things from the board when you had it apart?

Does it run in conventional?

Yep, that can happen easily. The antenna plug can be accidentally plugged into the wrong slot. There are many open connectors with the same connector as the antenna!….

Pat

Thank you everyone! I’ll go through the form you posted John and see if everything is where it needs to be.
I do not believe the antenna is missing as it will not cycle through. As soon as power is turned on both smoke units go full blast.
Also, I did not unplug anything off of the board. I will still check everything though just to have peace of mind.
Thank you again everyone for the help!

Last edited by Trainmaster04

Looked through the engine and checked the connections. Via Johns pdf, everything is correct and properly routed. I did however notice the wires for power to the motor is in the j10 plug and not the j11 plug. Any concerns?
I next tried isolating the smoke units from the board. When both are unplugged nothing happens. However, the locomotive still does not respond. It also does not power on. I then connected the aux smoke unit (whistle) and the locomotive acted like it has been. I did the same procedure with the main smoke unit same response.
I finally checked to see if anything was grounding out inside the main smoke unit. Nothing.
It appears the smoke units have a direct correlation with the symptoms. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I’ll also post a photo of the RCMC so you all can see what I am looking at. Thanks again for the help.
F817E9D9-9A33-40E5-B10B-6C8ADC9A91EE

Attachments

Images (1)
  • F817E9D9-9A33-40E5-B10B-6C8ADC9A91EE

Looked through the engine and checked the connections. Via Johns pdf, everything is correct and properly routed. I did however notice the wires for power to the motor is in the j10 plug and not the j11 plug. Any concerns?

The J10 & J11 connectors are in parallel, they're created equal.  It doesn't matter if you use either one, the result is the same.  Some diesel installations use both as a wiring convenience.

Are you sure the wires soldered to the bottom of the fan motors didn't touch the chassis during reassembly? That's something that can easily happen when moving the smoke unit around (especially if you resoldered the wires and had a larger blob of solder on the fan motor) and the wire position changes. Wire lead on the bottom of a smoke unit fan motor touches the chassis, boom, dead board on power up.

Last edited by Lou1985
@Lou1985 posted:

Are you sure the wires soldered to the bottom of the fan motors didn't touch the chassis during reassembly? That's something that can easily happen when moving the smoke unit around (especially if you resoldered the wires and had a larger blob of solder on the fan motor) and the wire position changes. Wire lead on the bottom of a smoke unit fan motor touches the chassis, boom, dead board on power up.

I do not believe it has but I will check. I will also check other parts of the chassis to see if I am missing something.

Update:

I was able to get in contact with John and was able to get the board sent off to him today. Also, the new replacement board has been shipped and should get here on Saturday. I did call Lionel to see if I can return it, if John is able to repair the original board, and they said I can.

While I was taking off the original board I went ahead and taped the smoke unit points. I do not believe they made contact but you can never be too safe. I also check the ground/hot connections. They were fine as well. As of right now, the only thing I can figure I touched something I was not meant to while power was on. Oh well... live and learn!

Good evening everyone. Hopefully, this will be the last update on this thread.

The old board arrived at John's location today and he was able to work his "magic." He determined the board's processor was fried. Unfortunately, it cannot be repaired. On the bright side, Lionel's new replacement board also arrived today. I will go back through the locomotive to see if anything is out of place and install the new board.

I cannot stress how much I appreciate your help, John. If anybody needs work on their electronics, John is the go-to guy!

Good afternoon everyone!
I was able to get the locomotive fixed and find the short. It ended not being me but the Blue Tooth board going bad. It shorted out and subsequently fried the original RCMC board.
I figured this out as I was installing the new RCMC. After I put it on the locomotive ended up giving me the same problem. Thinking I messed up I realized the only part I did not isolate was the BT. Sure enough, once I unplugged it from the RCMC everything went back to normal.
Crazy how something so small can take down a major piece of equipment.

Last edited by Trainmaster04

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.