Skip to main content

Hello O scale world ..... Walthers was doing it's best to be everything to everybody in the Model Railroading world ...one stop shopping .   Walthers did produce some items themselves but many were supplied by others and distributed by Walthers.   1938-39 Walthers offered a Mikado.... ...I've been told this engine was provided by Roy Robbins of Acme Model Locomotives of Hamden , Ohio .  

Here are a few photos of the Mikado .... note reverse unit is attached to the reverse linkage ...and works ...(Scale Model Railways also did this on occasion).   The Mike's drivers are all flanged ...and do not like my 4' radius . 

1940 Walthers offered a full line of steamers now with the poly-drive .... the Mike was changed dramatically.   

This engine is signed and dated on the bottom of the tender ...so 1938 ....just celebrating it's 80th birthday . 

Any other Walthers ealry Mikes out there ? ....

Cheers Carey 

P_20180804_131834_vHDR_OnP_20180802_022127_vHDR_OnP_20180802_022135_vHDR_OnP_20180802_003533_vHDR_OnP_20180802_014104_vHDR_On

Attachments

Images (5)
  • P_20180804_131834_vHDR_On
  • P_20180802_022127_vHDR_On
  • P_20180802_022135_vHDR_On
  • P_20180802_003533_vHDR_On
  • P_20180802_014104_vHDR_On
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hello all ...there is a shortage of Mikes ???? ..the scale world is filled with them .... and you can still have your 3rd rail ..just on the outside ...

Ok here is the 1940 -1 and offered post war for a bit   Walthers  poly-drive Mike ....all different than the earlier one 

Poly -drive ..these cute little diecast drives that you just plug together for any engine combination you can think of ...  ...side rods are now optional.....now replaced with a whole bunch of gear lash ...... but it look good on paper ..here is link to more riveting details 

http://www.modeltrainjournal.c...it=polydrive#p330113

IMG_9495

polymor drive units 1940

Attachments

Images (2)
  • IMG_9495
  • polymor drive units 1940

The construction appears identical, minus the poly drive, to the PW offering by Hines.  The cab on the Hines is cast brass as were added faux driver springs.  A search of Hines brings up a YouTube video of a 0-8-0 chassis in action, obviously the Mike chassis modded to make a switcher.  I hope the poly drive solved some of the problems exhibited by the YT example.  Mine runs pretty sloppy too.  The dimensions follow exactly that of the USRA heavy mike, lending itself well to super detailing, which is what I did to mine.

Bruce

Hello all thank you for your kind words.

Dennis my Walthers 060 is not much too look at but here it is ......sorry no paperwork for it...

Bruce ....yes Hines maybe....could be ...

The Hines was designed by Bill Lenoir in 46~7......Lenoir did work for Walthers 36~7..perhaps 8 ...Lenoir was everywhere ...designing engines and improving trains for a bunch of folks ....when I first picked up the 38 Mike ...I jumped to the Lenoir tie in ...which could be the case ........but then it could be Acme's , unknown if Lenoir knew or worked with.or for Roy Robbins of Acme. .....many mysteries still to solve. 

Here is a photo of the 38 Walthers and Hines Mike together ....very strong similarities , separated by 8 years and a war.

Cheers Carey

P_20180805_001910_vHDR_OnP_20180805_002227_vHDR_OnP_20180805_002150_vHDR_On

Attachments

Images (3)
  • P_20180805_001910_vHDR_On
  • P_20180805_002227_vHDR_On
  • P_20180805_002150_vHDR_On
Last edited by Carey Williams

Wow!  Quite the variety of early O there, Carey.  Your Hines stirs a sense of nostalgia in me when I think back to the as found condition of mine.  In my enthusiastic desire for realism I destroyed it's originality.  Maybe another will some day come my way...One I promise not to mess with.I

One of those little 0-6-0 switchers is now on my bucket list too.

Bruce

Thanks Carey,

I'm thinking my 0-6-0 doe not have the right frame with it as the drivers are very unequally spaced.  Looks like yours are pretty close to equally spaced.  Also, my steam chest does not fit the curvature of the boiler.... I'm wondering if my frame is from a 2-6-0 or something instead, but I am pretty certain the boiler is from the 0-6-0 based on catalog pictures etc.  My wheels are also the plastic centered variety.  I'll get it figured out one day. Thanks again.

Hello all ..thank  you for your kind words ....I'm just learning ...lots more to digest.... early O scale is a fun place to play ..... some very talent folks/ master craftsman/ manufacturers  have left us some beautiful models to collect, operate ,  research , preserve  and pass on to the next generation...to keep this thing rolling  down the track . 

Cheers Carey   

Hello all ..... many / most early models have no identifying name tag....that just adds to the fun ..... Walthers poly-drive pieces have Walthers on the many of the various castings ...  please post some photos ( bottom also)  of the mystery pacific ...collectively  with luck we can pin a name on it .....but there are and will remain many unsolved mystery engines out there ....

Cheers Carey  

That is a nice outside rail, track. The ones I saw running as a kid were more like gaurdrail barriers, much taller, and made of roundstock, pickups sat close to the cab floor in slots, or under them with a spring at the fwd part of the firebox to angle the pickup rod so to reach higher. Do you have an owner history?. It looks like a familiar shelf queen from my youth, and I know I have a box of old brass grommets like that. (A history would/should be with it if thats it.) Out of my league today anyhow, just curious
Carey Williams posted:

Hello all ..... many / most early models have no identifying name tag....that just adds to the fun ..... Walthers poly-drive pieces have Walthers on the many of the various castings ...  please post some photos ( bottom also)  of the mystery pacific ...collectively  with luck we can pin a name on it .....but there are and will remain many unsolved mystery engines out there ....

Cheers Carey  

I need to dig it out of storage where most of my trains sadly now reside.  I thought I had a photo of it and apparently I don't.  It is a 2 rail locomotive converted to operate on 3 rail track, but without a blind center drver flange it doesn't like 3 rail curves at all.  Photos when I get a chance!

Had a chance to drop by my storage unit today.  Here are photos of my mystery Pacific.  They aren't the best quality and I can get better ones if I need to.  It's set up to run on inside 3rd rail, but it has 2 rail flanges on all the wheels and without the flanged center driver it required large radii to turn on.  Perhap scratchbuilt?  The frame is reminiscent of 1950's Penn Line locomotives.  I assume the motor is a universal AC/DC motor and it has a flywheel on the rear of it.  I ran it once on my 3 rail modules and it runs well in the straight sections.

Thoughts?

_IMG1271_IMG1270_IMG1269_IMG1267_IMG1265_IMG1264_IMG1263_IMG1262_IMG1261_IMG1259_IMG1258_IMG1257_IMG1256

Attachments

Images (13)
  • _IMG1271
  • _IMG1270
  • _IMG1269
  • _IMG1267
  • _IMG1265
  • _IMG1264
  • _IMG1263
  • _IMG1262
  • _IMG1261
  • _IMG1259
  • _IMG1258
  • _IMG1257
  • _IMG1256
Stephen Bloy posted:

Jonathan     I believe this to be an International Models effort from the early fifties I'd say.        cTr....( Choose the Right )

Stephen,

That is a strong possibility.  I have another International brass electric from perhaps a few years later, but it is 17/64" scale.  Did International do both 1/4" and 17/64" steam?  This one is 1/4" when compared to my other Pacific class locomotives. 

Obviously it needs a restoration.  Thanks for the information.

Hello all ...as Stephen ..pointed out ...International .....  ....below your Pacific from their 1952 catalog .....

scale ???? International pieces vary with which kitchen table they were made on ..   the box cabs they made are big  ok call it 17/64ths ..or just big ...     most the steamers I've seen all seem to be closer to 1/4" ....  but quality does vary ....(greatly) ....   I have two International Challengers ......one  well it looks like International ...the other wow ...this builder must have been one the hand selected to go on to Max Gray (KTM)  stuff ...both runs just fine .... but International noted that the Challenger just special order .... above their normal pieces ....their Swallow is quite  nicely done also .....

International is certainly an interesting page in early O scale ... 

below also photos of the two Challengers .... original price $225.00 ...big bucks at the time... ..you can see from the photos ... no way the same person built both engines ...one was building International pieces for a living ...and the other builder had real talent and went somewhere in the model train world 

Cheers Carey 

P_20180812_212501_vHDR_OnIMG_6960IMG_6965IMG_6969

Attachments

Images (4)
  • P_20180812_212501_vHDR_On
  • IMG_6960
  • IMG_6965
  • IMG_6969

Carry,

Thanks for the information!  Mystery solved.   l like the Challengers!  The difference is clear.

I've posted this elsewhere, but this is my boxcab.  It is noted at 17/64" on the blueprint.  Interestingly enough though is it is based on a Japanese prototype of a narrow gauge electric.  It is a fun piece to have and like its steam powered cousin, needs work.

IMGP2349_EDIMGP2350_EDIMGP2351_EDIMGP1654_ED

Attachments

Images (4)
  • IMGP2349_ED
  • IMGP2350_ED
  • IMGP2351_ED
  • IMGP1654_ED

I have the same mikado that I bought in pieces a while back. its two rail and came with a drawing that says its IMP. mechanism  rolls very nice just have to remoter and put it all back together. it looks like someone cut the brackets off that held the worm gear in place . it had a solid shaft from motor to worm. had a big old AC motor with a diode bridge on it.

@GG1 4877 posted:

Had a chance to drop by my storage unit today.  Here are photos of my mystery Pacific.  They aren't the best quality and I can get better ones if I need to.  It's set up to run on inside 3rd rail, but it has 2 rail flanges on all the wheels and without the flanged center driver it required large radii to turn on.  Perhap scratchbuilt?  The frame is reminiscent of 1950's Penn Line locomotives.  I assume the motor is a universal AC/DC motor and it has a flywheel on the rear of it.  I ran it once on my 3 rail modules and it runs well in the straight sections.

Thoughts?

_IMG1271_IMG1270_IMG1269_IMG1267_IMG1265_IMG1264_IMG1263_IMG1262_IMG1261_IMG1259_IMG1258_IMG1257_IMG1256

Almost looks like it was , at one tme out side 3rd rail

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.