Skip to main content

I am interested in finding out the value of the subject Train. I may be interested in selling after I hear more about it. The set box is in very good condition, and the trains are in Excellent condition. I am a TCA member, but do not normally deal with S Gauge trains.

This set has a Steam Engine #293, tender, Gulf single dome tank car, Stock car, Ore car, Gondola, and a Caboose. It also has two other cars I would not expect in a set like this. First is a 12 wheel depresses center Flat w/ wire coil, and a Crane car. The power pack and track along with a #759 Bell Danger signal is also included.

Can use your help guys,  Bob

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The (K)5437T set is easy to identify because it was cataloged at a time when Gilbert used the First 2 digits of the set number to identify the catalog year. So, your set was cataloged in 1954.  It's basically the same set cataloged in 1953 as set K5329, the difference being that the 1954 set came with a transformer (hence the "T" suffix in the set number) and the 1953 set did not.

The correct consist of the set should include:

293 locomotive with smoke, choo-choo, pull-mor, and knuckle couplers

947 Northern Pacific Reefer

924 CRP covered hopper

925 Gulf tank car

929 Missouri Pacific stock car

933 B&O box car

930 illuminated caboose

From your description, it sounds like some cars are missing and others have been added. As it was offered with the same consist for 2 years, this is a fairly common set. It was the lowest cost set that included a die-cast steam locomotive. Prices vary widely, especially for relatively common sets. To the right buyer a near mint set might fetch $500-$600 today. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like that's what you have. You can check sites like eBay to get an idea of what a set in your condition might sell for. Two weeks ago a pretty nice example of this set (probably the 1953 version) sold for $189.99. That sounds about right. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Americ...rksid=p2047675.l2557

You can see the catalog listing for your set at:

http://www.myflyertrains.org/A...atalog_page18-19.htm

Good luck.

Last edited by Craig Donath

Folks, I have just added the pics of this set. This set is not as described in the catalog. It has two replacement cars. It also was only set up at Christmas for about 5 years in a row and been stored on a closet shelf near the living room. This set is really clean and in excellent condition.  Please let me know what you think.

BobLatest oics 025Latest oics 026Latest oics 027Latest oics 028Latest oics 029Latest oics 030Latest oics 031Latest oics 032Latest oics 033Latest oics 034Latest oics 035Latest oics 036Latest oics 037Latest oics 038Latest oics 039Latest oics 040Latest oics 041Latest oics 042

Attachments

Images (18)
  • Latest oics 025: Set Box
  • Latest oics 026
  • Latest oics 027
  • Latest oics 028
  • Latest oics 029
  • Latest oics 030
  • Latest oics 031
  • Latest oics 032
  • Latest oics 033: 944
  • Latest oics 034: 759
  • Latest oics 035
  • Latest oics 036
  • Latest oics 037
  • Latest oics 038
  • Latest oics 039
  • Latest oics 040
  • Latest oics 041
  • Latest oics 042

I agree, you have a nice and clean AF set. I would second the above "Craig D." comments, do an extensive EBAY completed auction survey to see what people are willing to pay in our current economy.

Let us know if you decide to sell your AF set via the forum or EBAY, I find the crane and Southern gondola intriguing. Good luck and good hunting.

Craig Donath posted:

The (K)5437T set is easy to identify because it was cataloged at a time when Gilbert used the First 2 digits of the set number to identify the catalog year. So, your set was cataloged in 1954.  It's basically the same set cataloged in 1953 as set K5329, the difference being that the 1954 set came with a transformer (hence the "T" suffix in the set number) and the 1953 set did not.

The correct consist of the set should include:

293 locomotive with smoke, choo-choo, pull-mor, and knuckle couplers

947 Northern Pacific Reefer

924 CRP covered hopper

925 Gulf tank car

929 Missouri Pacific stock car

933 B&O box car

930 illuminated caboose

From your description, it sounds like some cars are missing and others have been added. As it was offered with the same consist for 2 years, this is a fairly common set. It was the lowest cost set that included a die-cast steam locomotive. Prices vary widely, especially for relatively common sets. To the right buyer a near mint set might fetch $500-$600 today. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like that's what you have. You can check sites like eBay to get an idea of what a set in your condition might sell for. Two weeks ago a pretty nice example of this set (probably the 1953 version) sold for $189.99. That sounds about right. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Americ...rksid=p2047675.l2557

You can see the catalog listing for your set at:

http://www.myflyertrains.org/A...atalog_page18-19.htm

Good luck.

I agree except this has a transformer and the set box, plus a couple cars that were better than the ones they replaced. I am selling this for a friend, I thought listing it at $250 would be acceptable, your thoughts?

Thanks, Bob

I understand that but it is the "come to our side" that gets me. I put quite a few $$ in to AF S scale and belonged to an S scale group. Some exhibited the same mentality- anti- Lionel O gauge.  It is a nice set, it will be good for someone, no doubt. I think, over the years, i have dabbled in about 7-8 different scales. I just think Lionel O, the old stuff, is the best bang for the buck-with some Standard gauge thrown in. I would really like  have some AF Wide gauge. already have Ives.

This "side" is better if, you like scale but don't have tremendous amounts of space and money.  54 inch diameter track is pretty much equivalent to 72 in O because they trains are smaller.

HO is great space wise, but aging baby boomers will have trouble working with repairs on engines.

S is in the middle, not too big, not too small - the "Goldilocks" scale.

I've had O Gauge, O scale, HO and now S.  The primary problem with S is that you can't always get your favorite engines, but that means kit bashing.

I understand that but it is the "come to our side" that gets me.

The "side" stuff is always with us. The Lionel versus Flyer division has been there for years. In "O" gauge there is 2 rail versus 3 rail, scale versus traditional, electronic control versus traditional control, MTH versus Lionel, and so-on.
There are lots more divisions. Certainly doesn't do the hobby any good.

Yes CW, I just like trains. Sionce my first train (I still have) was a 1949 Lionel set and  my Dad always added something every Christmas, that is what I stuck with. In later years, I also have HO and N Gauge trains as well, but all with a "Pennsylvania " theme, 1950's 60's steam and diesel. I grew up in Harrisburg with a next door neighbor that worked for the PRR in the Enola yards. My cousins lived near the Rutherford yards (Reading RR), so I usually only have PRR, LV, EL, P&LE, Erie, Susquehanna, etc. names on my layouts. I do have an occasional Pacific Fruit Express too, but only because I like those Reefers.

Bob

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.